Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stumpy27

USS New York?

19 comments in this topic

1 post
638 battles

Does anyone else think that USS New York is a slug and very under whelming in battle.

I've upgraded it but it is very slow.

I find USS Wyoming a better ship but its a lower tier

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles

The new york is a tough to swallow ship.It is not accurate , is a snail and AA will only be able to shoot down 1-2 aircrafts before they drop.
Now some advices :
Try divisioning with a dd or a cruiser , run premium consumables for credits.
Your guns are woefully inaccurate and you are not fast like a Kongo , however you have a lot of penetration , better turning and 10 guns to shotgun enemy at suicide range.
Your guns are very very accurate at distance like 5-10km and you will outgun any battleship with your broadside.
Against Kongou , use islands and obstacles to get in range and force him to a close range battle where your guns will out damage him.
Against Kaiser you will want to do the same thing except that keep distance at 7km to 12km as his secondaries are stronger than yours.
Always keep an angled profile ( not pointing straight as you move ) to any source of incoming fire , especially bb. When brawling at suicide range , never ever show your broadside unless the guys have blow their loads.

Never ever rely on that turret in the middle , you wont use it much and dont bother trying to use it or you will be severely damaged.
Citadels are hard to get with NY as she has bad acurracy so if you are not good with aiming or RNJESUS hate you aim at the upper deck for regular pens.
Kongos can be most reliably be cit at the middle to back section , Konig cant be cit normally unless the shell impact at the right place when he is turning. Your choice against both is to out alpha damage them with your regular pens.

350 posts

Does anyone else think that USS New York is a slug and very under whelming in battle.

That depends on your style of play and who you are up against. Wyoming is actually slower than New York (18 kt vs 20 kt), but considering that not all ships are a lot faster in that tier and Wyoming seldom fights Tier V ships, it is not that noticeable. Maps are actually smaller too.

New York not only has to contend with bigger maps, but with much better opponents in Tiers 5, 6, and 7. Thus, why it is underwhelming.

So my advice, if faced with higher tiers, let your higher tier teammates deal with them and just help out.

Besides, if you think the New York is slow, you really haven't seen the New Mexico yet. Now that ship is powered by molasses, despite its accurate and powerful guns.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

It's one of those ship where you need to close your eyes while grinding. If you want good battleships tier after tier with decent stock grind,  try germans.

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles

New York? She was best T5 ship before the Konig came out. Well she's still not bad. As long as you are not in a T7 MM (which is still not that bad unless enemy team have CVs or other T7 tech tree battleships.

980 posts
12,617 battles

Mate, I understand your frustration. When I had a New York, I literally stopped playing battleships altogether for a month because I was so frustrated with it.

But I can promise you, the New Mexico (a.k.a. 14-inch shotgun) and Colorado (16-inch sledgehammer) are a joy to play and you will have a tonne of fun with them. 

Grind it out.

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Why not just free xp the Missouri and you can skip grinding the whole line?

My thoughts exactly, but you'll be missing out on some great BBs along the way like NC and Montana. 

460 posts
8,358 battles

The USN BBs get an undeservedly bad name. Look at where Texas sits in the stats, she's top of the tier 5 BB. New York is very similar except she has less AA and slightly different firing arcs, you can and will do well with her once you've practiced enough.

The New York has more powerful guns than the Konig, and better armour than the Kongo. Play it right and you can out match either ship. Don't worry about not scoring citadels on the german, you can do massive amounts of penetration damage if you adjust your aim a little higher.

40 posts
2,588 battles

The USN BBs get an undeservedly bad name. Look at where Texas sits in the stats, she's top of the tier 5 BB. New York is very similar except she has less AA and slightly different firing arcs, you can and will do well with her once you've practiced enough.

The New York has more powerful guns than the Konig, and better armour than the Kongo. Play it right and you can out match either ship. Don't worry about not scoring citadels on the german, you can do massive amounts of penetration damage if you adjust your aim a little higher.

New York is the worst performing battleship for win/loss on the Asian server this last couple of weeks.  More than 50% of Kongos are ARPs started with the XP upgrades done, and starting with 10 point commanders, and the Kongo can get to more fights because of speed and influence more fights because of range (which is one reason it influences final outcomes more), and it can control range to a New York if it wants.  Also the Kongo requires more lead to shoot at it, which is more scope for error when shooting at it (even if it is a very long ship).

Texas has better AA and better mid turret angles, always premium camo, and always the XP upgrades done, and it has good players seal clubbing/farming money in it, can't really say "see texas exists" for making excuses for the New York.

I went back and played my USN battleships again to grind out the ARP ships which I didn't have, and yes improved player skill from having ground out more tiers made it easy enough for me to be effective in the New York, but I'm far more effective in the New Mex, and always have been.

124 posts

Watch this. It helped me to get better for my last few matches while pushing for New Mexico.

Basically NY is so slow that you'll miss out a lot of the action if you hang out too much with your IJN Kongou teammates; or sink very fast if you YOLO too soon with your KM Konig teammates.

Also, perhaps you need more Tier V experience since you'll alternate between Tier (III?)IV-V matches and Tier V-VII matches. There is a significant difference in players' play style between those matches.

58 posts
3,805 battles

Im a noob at BBs, but I think the trick to performing well in BB is the ship angle, the distance you engage and map awareness.

Ship angles help you to deflect AP rounds.

Distance helps your accuracy and prevents plunging fire to pen your deck. My yardstick is to close into about 10km.

Map awareness is important to let you know when you should close in and engage, and also when to steer if you suspect a DD nearby.

159 posts
3,374 battles

Actually yeah, I found her a little underwhelming.

She's a good ship but there was something about her that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Might have been partly due to the terrible accuracy, short ranged secondaries, and generally getting the worst of the RNG odds a lot of the time. 

As for her glacial speed, you should be used to that by now having played the previous BB's. Use a Sierra Mike flag to soften the effect.

Having done the Wyoming & New Mexico, I felt least secure in the NY, but felt almost invincible in the Wyoming. 

But yes, New Mexico is worth the grind as she is a decent ship so long as you angle her properly and stay well clear of the North Carolina's you run into during those higher tier battles. 

460 posts
8,358 battles

New York is the worst performing battleship for win/loss on the Asian server this last couple of weeks.  More than 50% of Kongos are ARPs started with the XP upgrades done, and starting with 10 point commanders, and the Kongo can get to more fights because of speed and influence more fights because of range (which is one reason it influences final outcomes more), and it can control range to a New York if it wants.  Also the Kongo requires more lead to shoot at it, which is more scope for error when shooting at it (even if it is a very long ship).

Texas has better AA and better mid turret angles, always premium camo, and always the XP upgrades done, and it has good players seal clubbing/farming money in it, can't really say "see texas exists" for making excuses for the New York.

I went back and played my USN battleships again to grind out the ARP ships which I didn't have, and yes improved player skill from having ground out more tiers made it easy enough for me to be effective in the New York, but I'm far more effective in the New Mex, and always have been.

The Texas is not that much better, the AA is only useful when you fight a CV and the turrets firing arcs are not a huge improvement (although an improvement none-the-less). The New York has worse stats because of the number of BB noobs playing her, not because she's deficient in any way. If the New York class were really bad then the Texas would also have poor stats as she shares most of the same traits (despite being played by more committed players) this clearly isn't the case.

Yes Kongo is a nice ship, but she's not so good that she can rofl stomp a good New York player. Kongo suffers from weak armour, and whilst speed is great it can get poor players into trouble faster, but luckily can also get you out faster.

Sign in to follow this