Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

To Yorck or not to Yorck?...

22 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

:honoring: GREETINGS FELLOW CAPTAINS and THANKS FOR OPENING MY POST :honoring:

It's been bugging me for days now, taking many steps back into this issue... I just completed my time in Nurnberg and I am about to go to the next step... Problem is I've heard too many horror stories with the Yorck and have hand experience in dealing with her from an opposing side... I really can deal with her on the Aoba and even on my Nurnberg myself that is why I am taken back to getting it...

I have plenty of Free XP laying about... Enough to skip her totally to get the Hipper (which seems like a good ship) but I have little to no experience at all as a T8 skipper so I maybe missing something here...

My question is, is it really worth it getting the Yorck or skip her all throughout? and if should get her, what is your advice on the her?

Also, if should I get the Hipper what should I watch out for??

While I am still thinking on the matter I am biding my time trying to get the Kiev, and completing some of the Tasks on Campaign...

:honoring: THANKS FOR THE READ and FAIR SEAS :medal:

146 posts
10,204 battles

The Yorck is a decent cruiser - and fun to play. It took me a while to get used to, and I got deleted a lot early on - but it was one of the first ships I considered keeping. I found the Hipper a bit of a let-down afterwards.

For me it is the pick of the Tier 7 cruisers, has powerful long range HE, useful torps, good hydro, good handling.

When you get uptiered against NCs, Iowas etc. it will be less fun - but it's powerful in its Tier. If I had my time again I would def not skip . . .

Edit: my advice on her is to keep an eye on your concealment range and try to burn BBs early in the match without getting killed - and then use your AP to mop up cruisers later on . . .  Try to ambush BBs with your torps around islands - and push into smoke using your hydro . . . It's a very versatile ship.

Edited by Mister_Teatime

14 posts

I can vouch for the Yorck, even while stock...though it really could use the hull upgrade for the extra rudder shift.

Spam HE on everything at longer range and use AP when up against enemy cruisers at close range, torpedoes whenever you get the chance or for shooting into smoke (though its range is almost in its German hydro range) Run German Hydro and ruin destroyers' day with the great close range performance of the guns. The only problem is the very slow turret traverse, though, so think ahead.

I don't think I want the Hipper anymore...tried it in test server and it's just not that good.

146 posts
10,204 battles

I can vouch for the Yorck, even while stock...though it really could use the hull upgrade for the extra rudder shift.

Spam HE on everything at longer range and use AP when up against enemy cruisers at close range, torpedoes whenever you get the chance or for shooting into smoke (though its range is almost in its German hydro range) Run German Hydro and ruin destroyers' day with the great close range performance of the guns. The only problem is the very slow turret traverse, though, so think ahead.

I don't think I want the Hipper anymore...tried it in test server and it's just not that good.

The Hipper did eventually grow on me like the Yorck - but its bad manoeuvrability and poor HE performance took a bit of adjusting to . . . If you get CE on your captain you can get concealment down to 10.4 I think . . . which makes games much more fun.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

The Yorck is a good ship, with a learning curve.

Place her broadeside to anything, even T5 cruisers and you will take citadels. She is a sneaky shi and can deal large amounts of damage.

Id recommend not grinding through her, learn to play her which will set you up for the Hipper as well.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles

The Yorck is one of my favourite ships, and probably my favourite cruiser.  Unlike the rest of the KM cruiser line it has decent HE, but it also has excellent AP.  The key is knowing when to use it - the air drag on the AP is significantly higher than the HE, which means it's difficult to penetrate at range and difficult to hit at range with the slower shell time.  When you get under 8-9km and the target goes broadside start pumping out the AP.  I find you start off games as a long range HE spammer (DE helps), and then when the numbers are thinned out a bit you can move into closer range and start cleaning up. 

The Yorck is very tanky (for a cruiser) so long as you stay angled, the torpedoes are excellent, it has superb KM hydro, and as I said the AP is excellent in close range, all of which means you can bully enemy ships late game.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

I would agree, seeing how squishy the Hipper is at high tier games, the Hipper has a lot of hype factor to the ship because she was a real ship with a interesting WW2 service record. However the Yorck can probably do everything a Hipper can do a tier lower with much better HE. When I play cruisers AP is highly situational and most higher tier players are smart enough not to give broadsides when possible, while He is useful for many things especially at longer ranges. 

Yorck's AP is marginal at range, but devastating at short range, coupled with the torpedoes makes a decent close quarters brawler at times, and don't forget about German Hydro!

268 posts
6,381 battles

Yorck is actually a good ship - excellent range with good fire change, hard hitting AP, decent AA, torps and German hydro.

It's armour holds up surprisingly well angled (unlike nurnberg), but you'll get deleted easily if broadside like any cruiser. I really enjoyed playing it.

980 posts
12,617 battles

I would agree, seeing how squishy the Hipper is at high tier games...

Yorck's AP is marginal at range, but devastating at short range, coupled with the torpedoes makes a decent close quarters brawler at times, and don't forget about German Hydro!

OMG tell me about it...I unlocked the Admiral Hipper a few days ago. Cruisers overall are my strongest class of ships, I just 'get' how to play them, but boy oh boy...I have had (and am still having) an absolutely abysmal time in the Admiral Tripper. Being Tier VIII, I found myself staring down the barrels of multiple battleships of the likes of Yamato and Montana more often than not, but had no choice otherwise the Admiral Flipper can't get within range to fire. 

Don't even get me started on the armour. The Admiral Hipster, I swear, has less armour than the Pepsi Cola. I've been citadelled from literally every angle (probably Yamato shells though), but the bottom line is that any angling the ship or evasive manoeuvring at high speeds, which usually means taking very minimal damage in any other cruiser, doesn't give me any sense of security while driving the Admiral Dipper. In the back of your mind, you always know that a stray shell (and this happens more frequently than expected given the horrific rudder shift and turning radius of the Admiral Zipper) from a battleship can ruin your day. 

ANYWAY back to OP's question...DEFINITELY DO GET THE YORCK. You will have much fun, and don't free XP it, take some time to learn how the ship works. I've had some very memorable battles in my Yorck (which I haven't sold after buying the Admiral Tipper) e.g. sneaking up on an Amagi and putting 8 torpedoes into her, taking 100k total of fire damage in a single game. 

Enjoy the Yorck before you must endure the Admiral Whipper (the Roon/Hindenburg better be worth it)

(note: please let me know if you have any better names for the Hipper)

Edited by LordTyphoon

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Yorck is actually a good ship - excellent range with good fire change, hard hitting AP, decent AA, torps and German hydro.

It's armour holds up surprisingly well angled (unlike nurnberg), but you'll get deleted easily if broadside like any cruiser. I really enjoyed playing it.

Better than Pepsi cola? I kinda held back moving on to nurnburg because when I tested the Yorck way way back... I hated the turret traverse. I wasn't confident of playing the Yorck well, same way that I held back moving on from the Cleveland to Pepsi cola even though I researched it like years ago. Hmmm..... 

683 posts
7,351 battles

I think they buffed the turret traverse for Yorck soon after the release of KM cruisers.

I have not much of experience in Yorck. She was my second tier 7 ship after Myoko, and after fully upgraded I had a good time with her. Sold of Yorck as I wanted hipper that time ( not enough credits)

I think try to play Yorck, might wanna skip stock hull. Then save free XP for Hipper so you can skip the stock hull. By tier 8 KM CA rudder shift us very very bad.

892 posts
7,853 battles

A stock Yorck is a pain to play, compounded by the high learning curve. Once you adjust your play style and have a fully upgraded Yorck is when the fun begins.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Woah :amazed:... Much appreciated ladies and gents your inputs are most valuable... I will most certainly try my hand at the Yorck with this kind of info backing me... I also did a lot of digging around myself and she really does come out as an oddity in the overall line but she does have her strengths for her tier... but I get it now, I must've been encountering either stock hull players or just potato captains with the Yorcks I've taken down...

MUCH MUCH THANKS EVERYONE :medal:

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Woah :amazed:... Much appreciated ladies and gents your inputs are most valuable... I will most certainly try my hand at the Yorck with this kind of info backing me... I also did a lot of digging around myself and she really does come out as an oddity in the overall line but she does have her strengths for her tier... but I get it now, I must've been encountering either stock hull players or just potato captains with the Yorcks I've taken down...

MUCH MUCH THANKS EVERYONE :medal:

div up with me ... i haave a shipp that good aat Vape  in tier 7 (sims)

Sign in to follow this