Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

Atago is making grinding IJN cruisers hard

24 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

So I recently decided to get a Zao after my GK got burnt to dust and I got RAGE.

As a no premium account, no signal flags player, my grinding is quite slow and currently I'm at Myoko.

I find this ship quite interesting, with great firepower and constantly gets into a T5-7 match, making playing this ship quite fun.

But after a few Atago games, I find this ship a bit frustrating. While Myoko almost guarantees a match of clubbing T5 ships, the teammates can also be quite frustrating in terms of target selection and co-op. A Gneisenau I met yesterday kept firing HE at a König, ignoring the Aoba with less than 1K HP just 10km away. Also their co-op isn't that great. In my Atago game yesterday, a Yugumo co-oped with a Neptune and a Zao, Yugumo spotted and the cruisers devastated two enemy destroyers, almost guaranteed a winning match just 5 minutes after it begun.

Also, Atago's performance is just pay-to-win and makes Myoko seem stupid. The turret transverse of Atago is SWEET, and the repair party consumables is great, both Myoko and Mogami lacks.

So I think Atago can make grinding Myoko and Mogami unsatisfying, shall I avoid playing Atago and rush through Myoko and Mogami or just grind slowly?

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Grind slowly or you will get even more salty when you reach ibuki. Yep, Atago/Takao quite outclasses Mogami and even Ibuki if not for Ibuki's ability to equip tier 9 equiment (range or reload). I really don't know why they put heal to atago. Also, atago has smaller sides making it harder to hit compared to the hull of ibuki/mogami, giving it higher survivability.(oh, and also 1k more hp)

But that doesn't mean Mogami/Ibuki or even myoko are bad. They all play differently. They are all good ship but Atago/Takao is just quite OP for their tier TBH.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

I really don't know why they put heal to atago. Also, atago has smaller sides making it harder to hit compared to the hull of ibuki/mogami, giving it higher survivability.(oh, and also 1k more hp).

IIRC the decision to put heal on Atago is because it has low survival rate. And since WG are reluctant to call their donators players broadsiding idiots, they give heal to Atago soon after. That just straight up makes other T8 CAs irrelevant.

Edited by Eurobeat

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

The turret transverse of Atago is SWEET

Pretty sure that Mogami's 203mm have faster turret traverse than Atago/Takao's with a little faster RoF (1 second faster can make a difference). I don't wanna talk about torp arc so...don't bring that up.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

someone who have a decent sanity level will never compare :

1. Regular ship with Premium ship

2. Tier 7 CA with tier 8 CA

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

Pretty sure that Mogami's 203mm have faster turret traverse than Atago/Takao's with a little faster RoF (1 second faster can make a difference). I don't wanna talk about torp arc so...don't bring that up.

I'll go for 155mm cuz 15 shells definitely looks super super impressive

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

someone who have a decent sanity level will never compare :

1. Regular ship with Premium ship

2. Tier 7 CA with tier 8 CA

I'm just wondering if I should stop playing Atago for the moment to reduce the salt level when I play Myoko, as I currently play them one after another.

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

ijn ca line is not hard except when i handled the furutaka (cmiiw she doesnt have a 3x2 203mm main guns at the early time). also didnt have problems with atago when playing myoko and mogami since i just play and didnt think about grinding for new research ships and somtimes its easy to outplay some atago players with team's help also. now i have researched ibuki but doesnt have money for it since im saving for yamato. just take your time, as a none premium and flag dependent captain just enjoy and learn how to outwit them, you might find that mogami can beat atago easily with right consumables, modules and flags 

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

Its not myoko grind you should worry about. You should worry about the mogami grind cos atago is better in every way. 

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

IJN cruisers has bad gun and torpedo arcs to balance their huge broadeside weight yet WG give Atago heal ...

Atago could use a slight gun traverse nerf to keep them in line 

Testing ARP TAKAO i find that Atago is a pain to play as it turn like a truck , torps are situational , gun traverse is good but the gun arc is a pain and moreoften than not bringing all your guns to use can be deadly to yourself. WG should keep this as the achilles heel for IJN line and so should Atago. Remove its heal and give it some more HP is also fine :)

496 posts
4,165 battles

I am not gonna lie... i got my atago and skipped much of myoko with doubloon cuz im a cashing faggit <- saying my self (if it offended any1 he probably got some issues)

reason is i can't get used to the myoko configuration and I DIE LIKE so many times in my atago
atago is really weak like boom suddenly u just get citadel-ED by some BB far away even u are angled abit...

while playing a ton of atago games i got to mogami and yes pretty much this was before the mogami nerf, i skipped the entire ibuki too like literally jump to zao, myoko i did play abit...
Zao is fun tho...

and after i got zao, thanks to the ARP myoko i went back to play it surprisingly thanks to much Atago games.... i actually able to play comfortably on the myoko... so now i do enjoy myoko... sometimes you just need a different angle to play...

btw atago is really fragile but as long as you don't show broadsides to CA or BB AP shells you should be fine... the bow is decent and her speed is really great so are her guns... making her viable for offense but she shine a whole lot when she is kiting enemy ships

1 thing to keep in mind is that her torpedo must not be heavily relied upon because one thing i notice is she is fragile not only her citadels but her torpedo tubes will often get damaged...

IJN cruisers has bad gun and torpedo arcs to balance their huge broadeside weight yet WG give Atago heal ...
Atago could use a slight gun traverse nerf to keep them in line 
Testing ARP TAKAO i find that Atago is a pain to play as it turn like a truck , torps are situational , gun traverse is good but the gun arc is a pain and moreoften than not bringing all your guns to use can be deadly to yourself. WG should keep this as the achilles heel for IJN line and so should Atago. Remove its heal and give it some more HP is also fine :)

i am not sure why but i think i will get alot of critisms for doing this but
1 i use rudder modification 2 and 3
making my rudder shift to 3.1 sec (if i remember correctly)
heal is fine because she is paper on her sides and she is a prem so you pretty much can expect alot of broadsiding people
adding more HP on her , she might even surpass Zao

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

Mogami have those 155mm option, that can makes her feel difrent than atago.

Atago is undoubtly powerfull ship, that Before the Rudder upgrade mod 2 were exist - I gladly pick atago oveer zao

But IMO, number and spec isnt the only thing that makes you feel chores when grinding.

sometimes its the quirks that you enjoy (like atlanta), the appearances of the ship can also make big impact (I feel disgusted by Leningrad shape, despite she have great stats and russian bias ephitomy)

after all, your performance also linked to your enjoyment - not just spec and numbers alone

For me, myoko feel to similiar to atago.

but mogami and ibuki has diffrent quirk, that makes those enjoyable in their own right

381 posts
9,957 battles

Its not myoko grind you should worry about. You should worry about the mogami grind cos atago is better in every way. 

This^. IJN cruiser is my first line when I started playing so my Mogami stat sucks, but tbh even if I buy and play it again now I guess I'd still be bad at it. Myoko is pretty solid at t7 especially with the advantageous MM. Meanwhile playing Mogami against t9 or 10 without CE is a torture. Respect to whoever can play NO too because it seems even worse than Mogami.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

heal is fine because she is paper on her sides and she is a prem so you pretty much can expect alot of broadsiding people

Well , ruddershift time is fast enough without it , however it is the turn radius and acceleration that kills it. That is why i call it a truck because it behave like one , it can go very fast but turning when doing so make a large circle and it lose a lot of its speed during the turn. Timing to turn the broadside on enemy is a crucial skill for Atago yet players are too pampered  with the heal.

Using ruddershift mode is fine if you intend to be a regular line cruiser , but i find that without stealth , safely turning and disengaging is a nightmare.

Also special mention is that Atago is the easiest cruiser to catch a full torp spread from US strikecrafts due to her long hull ( like other IJN ship) and bad turning , killing it under AA def fire is cheesy ez compare to going after other CA.

Max concealment Atago relies too much on team being alive to be sneaky and agressive while max maneuverability Atago can die fast underfire.

I never liked or worked well with an Atago , but the ship is so noob friendly that it does not require much skillful input from player , so a nerf of no heal or gun traverse is a good one

496 posts
4,165 battles

depends.. well yes atago is fragile and very vaulnerable when turning

1 of the thing that i ususally do is i turn facing and moving away from enemy then i start shooting, this ensures i dont need to turn when they could see me...

because she turn so slow... its pretty bad, the rudder time is usually works well when you are kiting or charging with the need to dodge some incoming shells especially AP as they could penetrate into your citadel from your deck

345 posts
3,647 battles

Mogami + 155mm > Atago/Takao

If Takao/Atago has no heal, Mogami with 155mm will totally destroy them

Edited by Loshirai14

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

IJN cruisers has bad gun and torpedo arcs

Ibuki has excellent gun arc.

This^. IJN cruiser is my first line when I started playing so my Mogami stat sucks, but tbh even if I buy and play it again now I guess I'd still be bad at it. Myoko is pretty solid at t7 especially with the advantageous MM. Meanwhile playing Mogami against t9 or 10 without CE is a torture. Respect to whoever can play NO too because it seems even worse than Mogami.

mogami doesn't suck. 155mm mogami is monster when it comes to DPM/. give her heal like atago/takao then I'll take her anyday.

I'm just wondering if I should stop playing Atago for the moment to reduce the salt level when I play Myoko, as I currently play them one after another.

Myoko's advantage is it doesn't have to play against tier 10s and my myoko has nice MM preference, hence it's my highest winrate out of all my ships. Myoko's firepower is extreme if you are the top tier. If you can't handle Myoko well or you can't like it, better stop grinding the IJN line as I'm pretty sure you will be extremely salty when you reach Ibuki.

Of course, you could always go the easy way and free exp to Zao, but you'll not be a good Zao player without the lessons taught by mastering Myoko, Mogami and Ibuki. (yup all play differently.)

Edited by Deicide

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Mogami 155mm's problems is the traverse speed which is BB tier speed and shell velocity (but that is the least thing you worry about anyway). 155mm have a very tight dispersion that when you fire at a BB or another CA accurately, you'll get more than 10 hit each salvo

Sign in to follow this