Sign in to follow this  
aaronboon

IJN Torp destroyer line

7 comments in this topic

7 posts
319 battles

So having played with the new IJN Destroyer line albeit tier 5-6 i find that im waaaaayyyy worse with the torpeodo line which used to be my bread and butter.

Now whenever i see a gunboat or a cruiser i dont even dare to go any where close due to the fact that i cant dual as efficently compared to the gunboat line and even if i get within torp range

i would often times misjudge my torp speed and missed completely or the enemy anticipates and dodged every single one of my stinking torps.

Having said that, the gunboat line are slowly becoming my new favourite ships for some reason i do alot better with them.

They seem to do what i want whether it be dodging incoming shells while fighting off enemy dds or going for a torp run ironically.

Overall i do alot better in the gunboats even though they feel like a poor mans US DD.

So here i am asking u guys for help on improving how i play cause honestly i want my ninja torps back :V

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,304 battles

Play the gunboat line (USN DD), no seriously, get the gunboats. Saves ur frustration. Their detection is pretty shitty at low tiers but once you reached the Benson, u will laugh at IJN DD's while u shoot them away from ur cap. 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

So having played with the new IJN Destroyer line albeit tier 5-6 i find that im waaaaayyyy worse with the torpeodo line which used to be my bread and butter.

Now whenever i see a gunboat or a cruiser i dont even dare to go any where close due to the fact that i cant dual as efficently compared to the gunboat line and even if i get within torp range

i would often times misjudge my torp speed and missed completely or the enemy anticipates and dodged every single one of my stinking torps.

Having said that, the gunboat line are slowly becoming my new favourite ships for some reason i do alot better with them.

They seem to do what i want whether it be dodging incoming shells while fighting off enemy dds or going for a torp run ironically.

Overall i do alot better in the gunboats even though they feel like a poor mans US DD.

So here i am asking u guys for help on improving how i play cause honestly i want my ninja torps back :V

i can still ninja torp in Kamikaze R

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Ah yes, the torpedo dilemma. Well, following the update I've been playing the torpedo line JPDDs relatively passively compared to before. Swing by as close as you are comfortable or use island cover, then disengage and hope your torpedoes hit something. Div up so you have support in case the situation gets hairy (like when a USDD suddenly pops out from behind an island). Oh, and always remember to disengage, surviving longer means you will potentially be able to deal more damage. If you are lucky and get matched into a game with not so competent cv, few (or none) gunboats, and BBs who solo push, you may go ham if you are feeling trigger happy. Playing Minekaze, I can usually manage at least two torp hits and some amount of gunnery hits in a full 20 minute game, even when overmatched to tier VII with more than one enemy gunboat. 

Of course, if you have the Kamikaze, get your CE and annoy other surface ships with your 5.4km detection XD

Beta Tester
21 posts
5,656 battles

I have retired my IJN DD fleet including Shima due to RTF skill I cant make use of the only thing the line had going for it which was stealth now thats gone I dont know what to do with them. Any pointers?

Regards

Chilli

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

RTF skill

What's that?

My favorite IJN torpedoboat is Kamikaze with CE. Sweet 5.4km detection 7km torps. Do consider the Shiratsuyu as well if you don't have the Kamikaze. She can put up a pretty good fight against gunboats if played right.

Sign in to follow this