You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
swap1997

Freidrich der Grosse, a double edged sword, how to play this beast?

21 comments in this topic

66 posts
4,904 battles

After playing my beloved Bismarck for almost 300 games, highest for any Tier 8 I have played, I managed to get the necessary XP and the credits needed for FDG or Friedrich der Grosse. Kinda disappointed with it to say the least as she isnt that mind blowing as Bismarck used to be. Played about 10 games with it to realise that while it is a Hard-hitting BB, compared to other tier 9's she is underwhelming. Any ideas on how to play this double-edged sword? And how to build her in terms of modules?

Edited by swap1997

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles

I do not own one mind you , but from what i heard ppl mostly go for max AA or max secondary build ( meaning pick everything to fit either AA or secondary firepower ).

FdG from what i see take the most beating from getting stacked by fire ( my Kutuzov and US dd love them ) so the best thing you could do is to stick with a CA that has radar or AA def fire and push continually , if your friendly show sign of backing off you do the same rinse and repeat.

Avoid islands at all cost , you do not want a dd or a CA near you because you cant turn freely near island.

FdG is best in a division where it could use its massive durability to literally tank a whole flank and let the team do their work ( tanking does not mean being close , but put yourself where enemy will shoot you instead of your allies ) , a dd in a division can smoke for you to retreat and heal.

This is my experience when facing them and see them being successful , and as a carrier captain the best thing you want to do is not to be caught alone at any point in the game , i have faceroll many FdG who is cocky and detach themself from a group 

Main gun firepower i cant comment

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Compared to Bismarck, FDG has the same secondaries, roughly similar armour, more hitpoints, better gun power, but worse traverse angles on the rear turrets, and worse overall mobility. What this means is that she's not quite as dedicated a brawler as Bismarck and you might be better off going for the Main Gun accuracy mod and Main Gun ROF mod instead of a full secondary build. She's still a good brawler, of course, but she's also able to take on a more traditional Battleship role due to her powerful main guns.

231 posts
3,548 battles

I love her , shes a beast of burden , she can walk through the other T9 counterparts , she is more powerful , better armor , better secondaries to any other ship , i have used it a bi , and love its Tiger feel, float into any ship and provided you stay out of torpedo range , she will run  over them and ONTO

VICTORY!

Edited by BroOfBrighton

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

It will only got worse when you reach kurfurst :trollface:

After Bismarck, KLM battleship line depart from agile brawling battleship

it just got larger, bigger, more sluggish, less responsive handling - it definitly become more and more  unsuited for brawling

its become like regular battleship, only harder to citadel  hehehe

Edited by humusz

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

I also intially suffered right after getting this ship. I thought it will be the same as the bismarck, but I was wrong. Bismarck is more agile and has lower profile(which means it catches less shell, hence you could say better armour/protection;belts do become thinner).

As an initial meatshield that could lead push to bases but must never over-extend and you must know when to retreat a little bit and heal. I use secondary build and dont be that sniping fredrich while watching his team fail to push. Lead them, stay in front, be their shield and tank most of the damage. When you used all your 5 heals, it means you used this ship to its max potential. Always be wary of torps as this guy doesn't have torp protection.

Edited by Deicide

563 posts
4,686 battles

Underwhelming? You fear nothing in FDG, not even Yamato's imperial shell can scares you. The only thing that FDG lose to other t9s is DPM, so make your shot counts. The rest is excellent. Armor, AA, Concealment, Maneuverability, etc is on par or better than other t9s

I personally try to rack up as many damage as I can from mid-long range at the start of the match. When I see an opening, I push there. 

I build concealment. I can get closer undetected and it also prevents me from being spammed.

Edited by Admiral_Turing

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Underwhelming? You fear nothing in FDG, not even Yamato's imperial shell can scares you. The only thing that FDG lose to other t9s is DPM, so make your shot counts. The rest is excellent. Armor, AA, Concealment, Maneuverability, etc is on par with other t9s

I personally try to rack up as many damage as I can from mid-long range at the start of the match. When I see an opening, I push there. 

I build concealment. I can get closer undetected and it also prevents me from being spammed.

Excellent armor? Armor sucks, worst among t9 BBs. Iowa does 10k salvoes from 16km bow-on. Only citadel armor is good.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Excellent armor? Armor sucks, worst among t9 BBs. Iowa does 10k salvoes from 16km bow-on. Only citadel armor is good.

I can do that too to Iowa. Plunging fire, it doesn't care about armor. Close that distance and I'm almost invincible bow on. Yamato can't lolpen me. I don't take 30-40k frontal citadel like what Iowa/Izumo can take.

683 posts
7,367 battles

FDG is sluggish, too big in size, lack of guns for damage output and to compensate for poor dispersion. Personally until the end I don't know how to make FDG work properly..

Kurfurst.. at least the HP pool is tremendous, and very tanky, except poor torpedo protection, thus still able go for brawling when time is right.

Wanna learn from others how to play FDG... :)

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

Carefully?

I just unlocked this hulk myself. I can't seem to aim her yet. So many 2-3k dmg salvos, it's painful. But when I have got it right it will damage anything I have met so far.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Fact is she not the Bismarck, you can’t play her the same. It’s only Bismarck low tier playing style casting a shadow over Friedrich der Grosse, in reality tier 9 is up with the big boys and so you have to play as if you’re playing tier 10.

Standard X tactic: Creep into battle taking pot shots, wearing down enemies HP whiles not in focus yourself.

Bismarck standard tactic: Rip, shit and bust.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

I can do that too to Iowa. Plunging fire, it doesn't care about armor. Close that distance and I'm almost invincible bow on. Yamato can't lolpen me. I don't take 30-40k frontal citadel like what Iowa/Izumo can take.

fact is it cant damage iowa whether it's plunging or not, but fredy's too soft and can't tank bow-on whether it's plunging or from close range. The very first time I got this ship I struggled so I tried multiple tactics and observed this carefully. Best tactic will be what you do in your scharn/gnei to bait them to hit your angled belt. If they hit your decks or superstructure, it doesn't matter if you're angled or not, plunging or shotgun, you will take a lot of damage. Only thing you can do is to approach them and start peppering them with your secondary, when your secondary starts to shoot, you automatically have the upper hand.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

fact is it cant damage iowa whether it's plunging or not, but fredy's too soft and can't tank bow-on whether it's plunging or from close range. The very first time I got this ship I struggled so I tried multiple tactics and observed this carefully. Best tactic will be what you do in your scharn/gnei to bait them to hit your angled belt. If they hit your decks or superstructure, it doesn't matter if you're angled or not, plunging or shotgun, you will take a lot of damage. Only thing you can do is to approach them and start peppering them with your secondary, when your secondary starts to shoot, you automatically have the upper hand.

no, freddie bounce shells when bow on like crazy, i cant even penn them when im in a yamato, once i had a freddy ram me after rushing me from 16KM(my team was stupid and ran away while i could only bow on and reverse) in 9 salvos, i did about 20k damage on the freddy, and only after i gave up on penning the bow and aimed for the super structure

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

no, freddie bounce shells when bow on like crazy, i cant even penn them when im in a yamato, once i had a freddy ram me after rushing me from 16KM(my team was stupid and ran away while i could only bow on and reverse) in 9 salvos, i did about 20k damage on the freddy, and only after i gave up on penning the bow and aimed for the super structure

dont hit the belt part, I said, hit the superstructure. (when I saw bow-on, it doesnt mean you have to literally hit the bow) I always do 5k average/salvo on a bow-on fredy on my fredy whatever the range(of course also depends on rng). i can never do any type of damage to iowa or izumo bow-on when 10km lower
Edited by Deicide

563 posts
4,686 battles

dont hit the belt part, hit the superstructure. I always do 5k average/salvo on a bow-on fredy on my fredy whatever the range(of course also depends on rng). i can never do any type of damage to iowa or izumo bow-on when 10km lower

Superstructure pen has nothing to do with the Armor. The actual bow armor is the strongest you can get at t9. Iowa also has a pretty big superstructure. And it can also eat 10k damage bow on. But those damage is inconsistent, the gun and secondaries can absorb it. FDG feels soft because of the massive superstructure. But the actual hull armor is overall better than Iowa and Izumo.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Superstructure pen has nothing to do with the Armor. The actual bow armor is the strongest you can get at t9. Iowa also has a pretty big superstructure. And it can also eat 10k damage bow on. But those damage is inconsistent, the gun and secondaries can absorb it. FDG feels soft because of the massive superstructure. But the actual hull armor is overall better than Iowa and Izumo.

my goodness. When I talk about bow-on protection, what I mean is the whole bow-on sillhoute of a battleship, not just the literal bow. Unless you are yamato, who the hell targets the bow of another bow-on battleship anyway? I reckon even a zao bounced from 2km my salvo from my fredy on its bow.

When I said armor, I said about the whole protection of the ship. How much damage it shrugs off and how much it eats. I've experience almost hundred times already, I hit Iowa's superstructure part and still can bounce my APs, go ahead and test it, but not on fredy. It also has to do with this game's weird mechanics. Sometimes, pen damage do little or no damage at all, then I overpen a Mogami once and I deal 6k damage like wtf?

Edited by Deicide

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

dont hit the belt part, I said, hit the superstructure. (when I saw bow-on, it doesnt mean you have to literally hit the bow) I always do 5k average/salvo on a bow-on fredy on my fredy whatever the range(of course also depends on rng). i can never do any type of damage to iowa or izumo bow-on when 10km lower

Freddy 2nd Barbettes (like all German turret barbettes ) are huge, soft and have wider oppening 

you can even citadel her with gun larger than 16inch - if lucky

Kurfurst turret barbettes even way thinner than NC if I remember