Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryGrade

Spotting aircraft for dd's and torpedoes.

4 comments in this topic

11 posts
3,594 battles

Hello,

I play the Russian cruiser line.

I like love the spotting plane as it increases my shooting range. I read that it can also increase your torpedo and dd detection range too, is this true? I never used it to detect dd's so I never noticed.

If so, by how many km can it detect dd's?

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,831 posts
4,110 battles

Straight from the WOWS wiki

Similar to the Catapult Fighter consumable, the Spotting Aircraft consumable launches a plane from the ship's catapult. However, it also increases your range by 20% and gives an "aerial" perspective when scoping. It is available on all Tier IX and X cruisers, Russian cruisers from Tier VI and higher, British cruisers from Tiers V-VIII, as well as all Japanese battleships from Tier IV and higher and US battleships from Tier VI and higher. Ships with access to catapult-launched aircraft must choose between equipping either a Catapult Fighter or a Spotting Aircraft.

The aerial perspective is not always advantageous, and adjusting to it may be a little troublesome. However, many players often do not feel threatened when outside your ship's normal firing range. Because of this, they often sail in straight lines at full speed. With time and experience, Spotting Aircraft can allow you to do significant damage before a battle even begins. Like the Catapult Fighter, it can potentially spot incoming torpedoes if it happens to fly over them. It may also detect concealed enemy ships out of your line of sight or regular detection range.

260 posts
4,649 battles

If your plane flies into the Air Detection Range of the DD, then the DD will be spotted, but I have the feeling you would have spotted the DD in its sea detection range already. I am a USN cruiser player, so I have catapult fighter. Since there are not many CV these days, they are for me to spot torpedoes. Do note that they will only spot torpedoes if they fly over them (like CV planes). If your plane is flying in the south, but torpedoes are coming from the north, then you will not spot them in advance.

Still spotting torpedoes or DD are like hidden benefits, you should not rely on it too much and

1. turn your ship towards or away from the expected DD location (to dodge expected incoming torpedoes).

2. slow down then speed up to vary your speed (so the long range torpedoes might miss since you have changed your original course).

Sign in to follow this