Bigbrownbear

How do you make it through mid-tier match-making?

26 comments in this topic

20 posts
994 battles

Hello everyone and seasons greetings, 

I recently made a thread on the General about reservations about the Myogi battleship. I took some of the feedback on board and branched out in playing different ships. 

I've been playing the game for a few weeks and at first I really, really enjoyed it. It was really good fun and even when I died I could have a laugh and things were fun.

But ever since hitting the mid-tier with battleships, cruisers and destroyers, I've found my enjoyment in the game has gone off a cliff, and it's mostly to do with the matchmaking.

I just finished a gaming session tonight which was, without a doubt, the most miserable experience I've ever had playing a multiplayer game. Like, beyond stun-locked-to-death-by-rogues-in-WoW miserable. Out of about 11 games, 8 or so of them in my rinky-dink Tier 5 ships I was pitted against ships that were Tier 7 who absolutely massacre me. In my Furutaka I've got no chance at all; the range on their weapons is like 4km longer than mine. In one game I lost 80% of my health trying to get close enough just to get a few shots off. This goes for being in my Bayen (however it's spelled) Tier 6 battleship - I'm up against Tier 8's who laugh at my pitiful range and nuke the crap out of me from afar. I can't get close enough to get any shots in without getting lit up like michael jacksons hair in a pepsi commercial. I finished one game in my Tier 5 german destroyer with only 2 hit ribbons before getting nuked. 

This has been going on ever since I hit the mid-tier, but tonight was when it reached boiling point. 

Now this isn't every game, obviously. There have been some really fun games where I've got a number of ribbons, snagged a kill or two, had fun and felt like I contributed. Then there are other games where you just make a crappy decision and pay for it for the rest of the game. I'm still pretty new and learning. That happens. 

But when so many of my games recently have felt like I'm just a free kill or a speed-bump, it's really sapped the fun out of the game entirely. The only ship that's been anywhere near fun to play has been my Tier 6 german BB, because that at least has the range to take pot-shots and contribute a bit (and those times when you get the insta-kill on a cruisers broadside? lovely) and because I've also got some range on them so I can angle the BB more for survival. But outside of that the game doesn't feel fun anymore. 

How have others pushed on through this? Or is just this a deliberate thing put in place by WG to tempt people to buy the T7 bb's and cruisers because of the massive power difference between them and the T5s/6's and the way the match-making system puts them together?

How did you get through the slog? Was it even a slog for you? Any tips would be appreciated.

440 posts
3,379 battles

When I'm put on bottom tier I usually just stick with other ships so I won't be free food to the enemy and from me to always play smartly, watch your surroundings and shoot when you need to, always be on the move, use islands as cover and maybe you'll be able to pull a miracle as number 1 on your team :)

and when you're frustrated for dying quickly after every battle, take a break take a kit kat, go play something else or do something that boosts your mood back up to normal.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

tier 5 is the hardest. a tier 6 can still hold ground against tier 8 IF played smartly.

for now my only advice is for you to find a division mate. 

when you reach tier 7 and know the charateristic of tier 7 ships, then you can play more smart when you use tier 5.

WoWs have a bad state nowdays. too may player who dont understand the objective of the match playing a mid to higher tier. this will result as 1 team melt too fast. and the weird thing is, most of the time, it was your teaam that melt instead of enemies team.

that is why if you can find a div mates to play, you will get a better chance to win. because atleast there will be 2 more player beside u who want to win.

the problem is to find a div mate. many plaayer prefer playing solo..... some like to play in div but their condition stop them to do it ( like bad ping or other reason)

580 posts
1,587 battles

Since my majority of matches (and tubs) are T5s-T6s... all you gotta do is hold your ground... I gotta admit I know what you're feeling and T5 isn't what it used to be... I used to have oodles of fun but now it's like a crossroad phase where you either scrub out or become a real captain...

The beauty of the T5 matches is that it's safe ground for the repair bills while exposing yourself to the eventual reality of really competitive play and I advise to take each match with an open mind... matches with T5s, 6s, 7s show a mixed pool of players ranging from 1.)The Learned (that are just around farming credits, to finance their high tier tubs), and those 2. Climbing up the Ladder (which would be you and me)...

Hold fast friend... When you reach T6 that's when the unique characteristics per nation really start to show and that's where it really bites if you hadn't taken the time to learn all there is in T5... Savor each victory, and learn from every defeat... and never ever forget to pray to RNGesus...

76 posts
6,199 battles

Lol, I feel your pain - that happens to me all the time. I only have one Tier 6, and that has paper armour - so it's wipe out time regularly.  But I just look at it as free fun, and I go back to playing co-op for a few battles. I'm a potato and I know it, so I just have what fun I can - and in the end, it's just a game and you always have homework waiting. :D

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

For Furutaka, try not to show your broadside because even the tier IV Kuma's 140s will citadel if she gets close enough, and support push with your fleet. You won't last long in tier V-VII matchmaking if you don't play supportively and disengage when the flank is getting overrun. Most battleships will be aiming at you because of an easy kill with the thin armor, so remember to time your turns and *never* bow on (because large caliber shells will overmatch instead of bounce). You may play like a superior japanese battleship (as per Yuro aka atsf's "how to furutaka" guide) in tier III-V matchmaking, or if you feel extremely confident.

For Bayern, she's a little more tanky but when pitted in tier VI-VIII matchmaking, you really gotta watch out for enemy battleships (and that napalm-flinging atlanta/flint). You have armor that is strong enough and guns that are big enough to take on cruisers with large caliber guns (VII-VIII USN, V-VIII IJN, Graf Spee). Avoid engaging RNCLs due to their high AP damage potential on your large superstructure (this is true for VI-X german DEBB) and your shells will overpen-no-citadel their paper thin armor. Against battleships you have to angle because again, you don't have an invincible bow. Play supportive at the start with allied cruisers, and push slowly with the fleet. Remember to disengage if necessary, unless you wanna die early in-game a hero. Your AP is VERY potent in damaging other BB superstructures at every range, though I personally feel the accuracy is lacking to citadel BBs at longer ranges. 

Edit: Protip -  If you have a div mate that can play support (especially CV) well, div up. A good 110 Bogue player can really give the enemy team a run for their money.

Edited by pwnies5600

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,384 battles

condolence to you Slamdunkhoes

like these guys said,

tier 5 is THE hardest tier to play with nowadays (thanx WG)

it's the tier where newcomers demoralize, noobs complains and seal clubbers rejoice

to make it worse tier 7 have a lot of OP ships especially prem ships that considered the best in the games

and it's where most people goes to after hard games in higher tiers (it's more ugly up there than here)

be thankful you didn't start playing wows with British cruiser line, that will probably make your game even harder

like these guys said, watch a lot of CC videos, i like flamu mostly since he gave a lot of advices in his game

anyway, good luck to you

~~~happy grinding captains~~~

Edited by blacknoheart

20 posts
994 battles

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I had  a fun session tonight on the Konisberg (even if I did get 1-shotted by a T7 colarado from 15 km away 3 minutes into a game, can't win em all :ohmy:).

At the moment I'm finding the german cruiser to be much more fun, because the range of their weapons (16.5km) and good AP shells combined with their relative nimbleness and speed means I can usually contribute even in a T7 game, so I think I'll stay on that line for a while.

However I really do think that the Match Making should only be within 1 tier level of each other. 

Edited by Bigbrownbear

11 posts
1,253 battles

I got my US cruiser line to TVII Pensacola - if you're not familiar with this ship it's high visibility, slow shells, big citadel & low armour, so you will get one-shotted by BBs from 15km away. Did the ARP Takao points grind for one of the best TVIII cruisers in the game, then on my third random match was thrown into a TX bastion game!

The best way to play if you're lowest tier in a higher tier match is to stay back and play a support role - hang back, hide behind islands and let the other guys start slugging it out, then fire on distracted enemies - its a simple fact that any spotted low tier ship will be instantly targeted by any enemy ship in range looking for an easy kill. Once the chaos has thinned out a bit then you can be a little more adventurous and when you're comfortable with your ship handling like maintaining angles and firing accuracy you can sometimes do wonders  - in a recent match I supported a division of BBs, then at the end chased a TIX DD in my TVII Pensacola, dodged his torp salvos twice and hydro'ed him out of smoke. Ended the game with three kills including that DD, who was the opposition's top scorer with 4 kills!

Edited by H0rnblower

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

I will tell you what i cannot work out?

I started off with a molotov in tier 6 and i thought that was pretty hard, so i went and worked a bogotov in tier3

After many many games with the bogotov i was not getting anywhare, always close to last in the team position.... at least in the molotov i can occasionally steal a middle place - just wont happen in the bogotov.

The difference is that Its far easier to hit targets in the molotov at longer range and your hits actually do damage. Compared to me pummeling targets all day in the bogotov and feels like its doing almost nothing, even a destroyer can happily withstand a pummeling of HE from a bogotov as it casually moves in to torpedo me, no problem for it at all, because the bogotov,  its guns hit hit hit but do next to no damage, I'm tired of it.

so i tried the tier 3 german battleship, yea, ok, this ship does deal out damage, but, its kinda boring since its hard to keep up with the action, or run when the action is too hot, so each mach has brief moments of excitement but most of the time your either chasing or getting killed. Again, for me, the Molotov feels much more fun..... but i bet tier 6 battleships would be even better?

This is what i don't get - you would think the lower tier ships should be easier?

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Funny How I just asked Mod to close my thread and a new thread on the same topic Opens.....Lol I'll just add my Post Link here xD

Link

So Peeps what you gonna say now.... I said T5 MM Screws Over New players but no Everyone has to Disagree with me... 

To OP, Well Which ships you got... I might help you grinding them and we can share some experience with it as well... 

Hope seeing you on High Seas

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

just looked at my detailed random battle stats....

The molotov i have 12 battles with 6 victories

The bogotov i have 30 battles with 12 victories!

The average hit ratio is actually higher for the bogotov at 17% and only 14% for the molotov

The average damage for the molotov is 19000 but only 11000 for the Bogotov.

Im trying to think why the molotov always feels more accurate but the stats show otherwise?

Ok i think i know why? The bogotov dousn't lend itself to taking pot shots at long range, and the other big one is because the turrets are very slow and spend so much time being orange due to the slightest turning upsets them, that dousn't happen in the Molotov, so the Molotiv is getting many many more shots off for the same time period.

Oh thats weird? Just looked at co-op battle stats, both ships hit ratio almost 40% but the Molotov average damage still only 19000 same as random, but the Bogotov is up to 19000 in co-op the same as Molotov!

So what does that tell me? I think it means the evasiveness of human players is far more effective against the bogotov than it is against the Molotov?

So there you go, the Molotov is good at hitting those sneaky sly human players.... so look for the ships with higher shell velocity and lower arc to make it through the mid tier matching.... drop the ships with the high arcs

Edited by Sy_dn_ey

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,833 posts
4,122 battles

Mid tier is hard work, but it can be rewarding.  I play mainly 5-8 and find tat the most enjoyment I get is going up against higher tiers.   Sure it doesn't work all the time but when you get the jump on a higher tier ship the rewards are well worth it.

590 posts
2,995 battles

For me - I play for damage, I might be a tier 5 in a tier 7 battle, but i set myself a target, 40k damage - I reach that, win / loose / draw i've helped me, my stats, and i've achieve a goal

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

At tier 5 and above, you gotta learn new tricks which were'n needed before. Like choosing your flank, sticking up with team mates, utilizing your concealment to your advantage to engage and disengage at proper times, knowing your ship's strengths and more importantly knowing enemy ships. At low tier you go head on and just dash it out till you die. That is not going to work from T5 and avobe. And that is the fun part of the game. You become mature. You have to make some progress. You cannot back down just because enemy ships became stronger. And don't forget, enemy team also had lower tier ships. You are not alone in this.

For your ships you mention, Furutaka, one of the best tier 5 cruisers I think. You have good concealment values. Use this to sneak into good places, you don't go against battleships, instead you go somewhere enemy ships won't be much interested about you. You have 10 km toprs, make good use of them (and don't torp the friendly ships like 50% IJN CA players out there).

For Bayern, I don't see your problem at all. I grinded to Gneisenau few days ago, my Bayern average damage was 70k. Pretty good I must say. Again, you just need to know who you can handle, whom you can't.

1,340 posts
8,848 battles

I find the mid-tiers are good in teaching players intermediate skills. Like where to go, who to attack, who to avoid, when to attack, when to retreat, etc.

Like for example OP mentioned being outranged in the Furutaka. So you would then learn how to use concealment or islands to sneak up closer to the enemy, thus nullifying their range advantage. No way to sneak up closer? Then perhaps it is a good idea to find another place to go to. Or let your teammates take the lead first when pushing the flank.

Being outranged and nuked by higher tier ships in the Bayern? Same thing. Learn how to use islands and concealment to maneuver your ship closer. Stay behind close to your team's higher-tier BBs, and open fire on the enemy only when they are already distracted by something else, or if there is an island nearby you can duck behind for cover .

Learn to pick more favourable battles. For example, being low-tier never stopped BBs from getting citadels on broadsiding cruisers, so go target them. Avoid those higher-tier BBs who can penetrate you from the front. It's all part of learning who you can and who you cannot fight.

On the bright side, being bottom tier means you get bonus XP/credits for damaging higher tier ships so that is at least one thing to look forward to!

10 posts
12,343 battles

Having gone through all that myself, I'll say that T5 just needs patience and knowledge of how to position yourself, as well as what ships to target and what to steer clear of. Main tip, learn to angle.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
14 hours ago, EdwardKenway1717 said:

Having gone through all that myself, I'll say that T5 just needs patience and knowledge of how to position yourself, as well as what ships to target and what to steer clear of. Main tip, learn to angle.

Like many say, T5s are best played after you have experience with T10s. You kinda need those high tier style to survive.

:Smile_glasses:

10 posts
12,343 battles
53 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Like many say, T5s are best played after you have experience with T10s. You kinda need those high tier style to survive.

:Smile_glasses:

Using the high tier ships makes everything easier.

2,221 posts
13,701 battles

Just remember that if you see a low health BB trying to slip away don't let it. It will heal and come back at you later just like this necro'd thread.

3 posts

I feel your pain - that happens to me all the time. I only have one Tier 6, and that has paper armour - so it's wipe out time regularly.  But I just look at it as free fun, and I go back to playing co-op for a few battles. I'm a potato and I know it, so I just have what fun I can - and in the end, it's just a game and you always have homework waiting. :D

[SGC]
197 posts
10,285 battles
On 1/3/2017 at 6:34 PM, Bigbrownbear said:

How did you get through the slog? Was it even a slog for you? Any tips would be appreciated

Don't think of mid-tier matchmaking as a curse, and instead think of it as a blessing.

Tiers 5-7 experience the most diverse matchmaking, enabling you to face ships from tiers 4-9.

This is the stage wherein you will learn the most about existing game mechanics and meta.

Since you're in the middle/bottom tiers majority of the time, you will have plenty of time to observe the players around you and analyze play-styles, formations, match progression, and skill-levels.

In these tiers you will have to learn how to sail with your allies, focus on map objectives, and adapt to various situations in order to survive longer and contribute more to the team.

Most of all, you would be able to gain a lot of experience and improve your skills, eventually to the point where you can develop your own effective play-style.

So whenever MM favors you and puts you in a top-tier match, you can put all your skills and training to the test.

If you are willing to actively improve yourself, you can apply all the skills you have learned across all the tiers.

In fact, I would even suggest KEEPING some of your mid-tier ships and constantly practice, to continuously sharpen your skills and help in grinding credits.

To show you I'm not kidding, here are my number of matches per tier and their corresponding win rates.

In my record of 7103 matches, I have played a total of 2909 matches in the mid-tiers which is approximately 40% of my match record.

Of course, I'm not really saying you need to dedicate this many matches just for the mid-tiers, but I can definitely say you will learn a lot in this stage so better make the most out of it!

shot-18.02.01_11.30.10-0509.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by seiji09