Imohep

Commanders and Ships

9 comments in this topic

5 posts
278 battles

After playing a few games to understand basic mechanics, I am keen to hear other views on how to deal with Commanders and which ships people keep in dock.

I am training up each Commander per ship and I don't transfer Commanders. I play most US Cruisers, DD and BB. 

As I'm now starting to run out of space, is it as simple as selling the lower tier models and just training new Commanders for each ship?

Also curious what ppl put points into training their Commanders. All skills seem rather useful but some clearly favour certain ship/playing types.

Wondering if others had different ideas on this topic.

Thanks

359 posts
2,819 battles

You should move commander up. Sell the ship you elites. Your port slots won't be able to keep up of new ship you buy. You will reach high level commander sooner which is an advantage.

Commander skill will be change soon and you will likely get free reskill. You can pick whatever you want for now. As for "new" commander skill

5 posts
278 battles

Awesome, thanks HoZ. 

I had a suspicion that my method would have been prohibitive, but couldn't determine whether selling ships and moving commanders was a less punitive approach compared with having a dock full of lower tier ships.

I assume there is less value in holding onto the Elite ships compared with acquiring new ships? I will figure out soon enough, but does the ship specific xp from the sold ship transfer to where useful?

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

Having some lower tier ships are fine, but make sure you really like it. There's also argument of saving tier 5/6/7 ships to farm credits if you have no intention of getting premium ships but again pick the one you really like. 

You can technically convert elite ship exp to free exp but it cost doubloons, it's up to you if you want to do it that way

99 posts
1,653 battles

Ship XP doesn't transfer without dubloons and it's only worth saving a ship if you really like it, the time to train a separate commander for each ship would be prohibitive unless you have OCD, have premium and play many thousands of games.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

If you have the port slots and need to save credits, the Clemson is a keeper. Better keep the commander. The other commanders, imo, can be transferred if you don't plan on keeping the ship. 

Regarding skills, these are my builds for each class (USN, tier III-V):

DD - BFT, LS, SI, DE(for inferno)/AFT(for more sniping)

CL/CA - BOS, EM, VG, DE, CE

BB - BOS, EM, SI, AFT (for tier V), rest aren't really worth it in my opinion, save up the captain for higher tier BBs

Edit: With the new skill tree rework upcoming, you should stock up on trained commanders, there will probably be free skill retraining when that update comes

Edited by pwnies5600

2,221 posts
13,701 battles

Edit: With the new skill tree rework upcoming, you should stock up on trained commanders, there will probably be free skill retraining when that update comes

Confirmed

3.           With the release of this version, all players can reset their skills for free. Furthermore, new elite experience will allow continuing redistribution in the future, so that experimentation will not have to be paid for with doubloons.

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,384 battles

do research, watch CC videos and decide what skill suits your playing style

it may not be the same as recommended by other people's

i had to spent a some doubloons to reset some of my captain's skill as hadn't really research first

some of ships need to be played differently so i didn't carry them to new ship but it'll take time to grind the captain anew