Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aussie_Thunder

Battleships main guns

6 comments in this topic

20 posts
6,090 battles

Battleships are at present disadvantaged by the fact Guns don't individually operate (Turn) can it be done that the guns can be operated as they are now or locked in one spot individually and operated as individual guns aiming at various spots instead of just the one. Mainly the turn speed is very slow and this would help 

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

It shouldn't be the case that battleships are at any disadvantage, given that they are the best-performing ship class statistically on all servers. They vastly outperform cruisers and destroyers in terms of average damage, frags, XP and winrate, with only a small handful of statistical outliers.

In terms of allowing guns to individually turn, this was originally considered during the early stages of development, however it was deemed that such a user interface might be too confusing for many players to operate. The "arcade-style" simplification of the game allows for greater accessibility by a wider range of players, and the way aiming and turret rotation works in the game is reflective of that. Increasing the complexity of turret aiming may likely add barriers to entry for newer players.

11 posts
3,055 battles

What about an optional 'advanced turret aiming' mode that can be toggleable. But I suppose that would split the playerbase between more experienced players and those less so, creating its own set of problems.

As for engaging multiple targets with one salvo:

Imagine we've got two targets, one on port and one on starboard.

What I do is that I set the guns straight ahead, but a degree or so towards the port target, let the turrets turn until the rear turrets are at their limit, aim towards the starboard target and fire off my forward turrets, then quickly snap back and fire my rear turrets at the port one.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

It shouldn't be the case that battleships are at any disadvantage, given that they are the best-performing ship class statistically on all servers. They vastly outperform cruisers and destroyers in terms of average damage, frags, XP and winrate, with only a small handful of statistical outliers.

In terms of allowing guns to individually turn, this was originally considered during the early stages of development, however it was deemed that such a user interface might be too confusing for many players to operate. The "arcade-style" simplification of the game allows for greater accessibility by a wider range of players, and the way aiming and turret rotation works in the game is reflective of that. Increasing the complexity of turret aiming may likely add barriers to entry for newer players.

If the problem is newer players, then make it a module available only to higher tier ships.....

Got any higher tier battleships that lack interesting features compared to others? Give the module to those ships only! Or if you wanted to be really cheeky, make it available to some higher tier premiums!!

Edited by Sy_dn_ey

487 posts
7,619 battles

Battleships are at present disadvantaged by the fact Guns don't individually operate (Turn) can it be done that the guns can be operated as they are now or locked in one spot individually and operated as individual guns aiming at various spots instead of just the one. Mainly the turn speed is very slow and this would help

I completely agree. It is a major inconvenience at times that rear turrets that have no hope of aiming at a ship I am angling bow on towards, still will always try to turn towards that target. If another BB or a faster more nimble destroyer or cruiser pops into view off my stern it can place you at a major disadvantage, as you are forced to turn, to get guns on target showing a lot of broadside in the process. Plus you are railroaded to turn either to port or starboard depending on where your rear turrets "decided" to pointlessly aim. Too often this means weighing up between turning in an extremely bad tactical direction or turning away to wait 45+ seconds for my rear turrets to become effective. I have no say it what my rear turrets were doing, they simply will always try to aim as best they can at what I was aiming at. I am very conscious of BB turret aim direction and will set my turrets up well in advance depending on my ships planned manoeuvring or approaching terrain. However it is still something that will catch you out. As the saying goes: All the best laid plans get thrown out upon contact with the enemy.

I know this is an equal playing field for all, but surely a feature could be implemented to provide extra firing modes for main batteries. 1) Have control of all turrets like it is now. 2) control forward turrets and have the ability to lock them on a direction. 3) control rear turrets and lock them on a direction.

To my mind it would be a big improvement to help compensate for BB slow manoeuvre and slow turret rotation. Improving BB turn speed or further boosting turret rotation speed is ridiculous as it is in no way accurate to real life. 35000+ ton ships don't turn on a dime and neither do 1000+ ton turrets achieve 20 degree per second rotation. Plus in real life rear turrets would not always try to aim at targets they could not hit. Guns that are not firing at targets in range are not serving any purpose and are just dead weight. Just my 2 cents worth.... :popcorn:

159 posts
5,676 battles

Perhaps instead of individual guns you could have fore and aft guns move separately, in a system as InfinitySquared or Sy_dn_ey suggested as a toggleable advanced switch available on higher tier ships only

Sign in to follow this