Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

HEAP of Ship

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,454 battles

Here's the results of my HEAP (Inertial Fuse for HE Shells skill) test. The effect of this skill on Destroyer guns is pretty obvious but I was curious to see what effect it would have on Battleship weaponry. Specifically, the merry Bismarck. Note that HEAP affects both the main and secondary batteries.

This test involved using the various weapons (separately) on two types of targets: bow-on North Carolinas and angled Bensons, as both of these are likely candidates for switching to HE in real battles. The figures are a simple average of the total damage of each weapon system divided by the total number of hits.

North Carolina

380mm Main Battery: 539 HE 923 HEAP - While the damage of each penetrating hit remained the same, the HEAP-equipped Bismarck saw more penetrating hits and fewer shatters. However, it's quite possible that random dispersion is to blame here since a bow-on North Carolina has plenty of surface area that will shatter a HEAP shell. More testing required here, too many variables.

105mm and 150mm Secondary Batteries: 60 HE ~ 123 HEAP - With around 250 hits for each of these tests, I'm more confident in the consistency of the results. It's worth mentioning that both the targets sank in roughly the same amount of time. The extra fires from the non-HEAP Bismarck made up for the lack of raw damage.

Benson

380mm Main Battery: 1,334 HE 1,212 HEAP - The difference here is just down to random chance. These hits were clearly the same in both cases - HEAP didn't help at all since the normal HE rounds have more than enough penetration.

105mm and 150mm Secondary Batteries: 199 HE ~ 428 HEAP - Here the difference was staggering. HEAP Bismarck absolutely smashed the Benson with her secondaries in about half the time of the non-HEAP version. I suspect that it's mostly due to the 105mm guns: without HEAP, they simply don't penetrate and can only set fires.

I really didn't expect such an obvious difference with this skill. Remember, though, that while HEAP secondaries might be more powerful, they will set fewer fires. Better against Destroyers for sure, but against larger targets it's debatable. The main gun results are a bit too wild due to the incredible battleship dispersion even at point-blank range. I'll see if I can run a better, more consistent test.

420 posts
20 battles

Nice research.

I started to think why DD is even exist at this game, the old question that hangs since the first time i played this.

And seems they're faster to die day by day, still uses DD and probably would keep using DD tho.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,454 battles

The main problem is that there's not enough skill points to go "everything Secondaries" anymore. To build a captain with BFT, AFT, Demolition (which affects secondaries now), Manual Secondaries, and HEAP would require 21 points.

I'm currently trialing a Bismarck with all those except AFT. The combination of HEAP and Demolition, plus both fire chance flags, still leaves it with a 5% and 6% (150mm and 105mm, respectively) fire setting chance. Not too bad, really, and the range is still 8.8km.

Edited by Unraveler

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,850 battles

if Moskva use that skill...........

RIP T8-T10 USN BB ??? - January 2017

1,124 posts

HEAP is seem to perfect for large caliber HE shell like that of a BB

personally, I'm soooo------------oo fed-up with stupid Over-pen of BB AP shell

so this is one of a skill that I will definitely use on my BB.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,454 battles

Baltimore versus a hapless flock of Fletchers.

Baltimore

127mm Secondary Batteries: 539 HE ~ 534 HEAP - basically no difference. The normal 127mm HE penetrates the poor Fletcher's flanks with no need of HEAP assistance.

203mm Main Battery: 787 HE ~ 846 HEAP - I actually don't think the difference here is from HEAP, just from random chance. The normal HE hits seemed to do just as much damage as the HEAP ones.

Interesting. Some guns need it, some don't. This is only testing very specific guns against very specific targets, but it does appear that HEAP doesn't do anything "extra" beyond helping with penetration. If normal HE would penetrate a given target, then it seems HEAP will do nothing except ruin the fire-setting chance.

420 posts
20 battles

I wonder if RN cruisers affected by this perk.

I know they're stated as AP shells, so logically, probably not.

But they had APHE shells historically ? Which translated by WG as AP with short fuse. ( <- although i'm not too sure either)

Super Tester
802 posts

I wonder if RN cruisers affected by this perk.

I know they're stated as AP shells, so logically, probably not.

But they had APHE shells historically ? Which translated by WG as AP with short fuse. ( <- although i'm not too sure either)

It won't, because British CL shells already are effectively HEAP in game. The only difference is no fires.

But you can always run it on your Belfast or Warspite :)

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

yeah, the only problem were

AFT and Manual control were Mandatory for Bismark

it need Highly leveled comander, to take 3, tier 4 skill

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

But they had APHE shells historically ?

Nope.

The British never had a AP shell for their 6" naval guns in WWII.

The common Mark XXIII 6"/50 guns had HE and CPBC shells.

CPBC=Common Pointed Ballistic Capped

The post-war QF Mark V (mark N5) had HE and AP.

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

Nope.

The British never had a AP shell for their 6" naval guns in WWII.

The common Mark XXIII 6"/50 guns had HE and CPBC shells.

CPBC=Common Pointed Ballistic Capped

The post-war QF Mark V (mark N5) had HE and AP.

Naval Gun HE (sometimes called common/GP type - depending on nation), is already rated APHE

High Explosivee shell with limited Armor Piercing 

You can see the Cutout of all the Shell used by warring nations

They placed Delayed action Fuze to Base of the shell, so it will penetrate a little before exploding. (delayed explosive)

its multi purpose shell, that used widely - and one of the most commonly used. including by Ground based artilery, since it can dug out foxholes and trenches

Inertia Fuze, ingame should be refer to Graze Fuze

Graze fuze, used Projectile De-Acceleration (inertia) to launch firing pin to detonator

Its should not be diffrent shell, its the same shell with diffrent fuze

Edited by humusz

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,421 battles

Why doesnt WG just make this skill as an optional 3rd shell type for players to pick as the situation dictates ? I find that it will be more worthwhile than simply overrides your current HE shell. I think this HEAP shell could use something like the HEAT mechanics from WoT

94 posts
2,795 battles

Do you guys think Inertia Fuse would benefit IJN CAs HE shells like a certain community contributor mentioned? cuz personally, i feel like IJN HE pretty much penn more likely than not already as it is...

Though it's still kinda makes you think considering its pretty much harder to burn down BBs to death in the upcoming meta...

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Do you guys think Inertia Fuse would benefit IJN CAs HE shells like a certain community contributor mentioned? cuz personally, i feel like IJN HE pretty much penn more likely than not already as it is...

Though it's still kinda makes you think considering its pretty much harder to burn down BBs to death in the upcoming meta...

Yes, I feel that IJN CAs are actually the ones who will benefit from this as they also have the highest HE damage so they will benefit the most from high numbers of HE penetration while shrugging off the drawbacks of -fire chance with their naturally high chance of fire. Next will be the russian CAs.

Still, I view BBs getting this skill and spamming HE is retarded. While they won't get affected by the reduction of fire chance, unlike CAs, they have long reloads and bad accuracy to make HEAP worth it. I would rather wait for broadsided targets and delete them with AP than wasting my precious reload on spamming HE.

I really didn't expect such an obvious difference with this skill. Remember, though, that while HEAP secondaries might be more powerful, they will set fewer fires. Better against Destroyers for sure, but against larger targets it's debatable. The main gun results are a bit too wild due to the incredible battleship dispersion even at point-blank range. I'll see if I can run a better, more consistent test.

Yes, that's right. HEAP on secondaries might be better against DDs, but overall it will be a nerf. Everytime I play Bismarck or Fredrich and do 300 secondary hits, I do something like 9k dmage from secondary hits and 50k damage from fire. A HUGE BULK of damage comes from the fires, not the HE hits of the secondary. So be warned as it might be a huge debuff to your secondary build, not to mention, of course, that it cost 4 skill points, skill points that could be put to better use.
Edited by Deicide

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

203 mm HE can penetrate tier 8+ battleship's 32 mm bow/stern armor without the skill. The next armor group is 50 mm (deck armor on some BBs, and sections of hull of a few ships), 203 mm can't pen 50 mm even with the skill. Ergo, there's no point in using HEAP on 203 mm. There are 37-40 mm armor as well, but they are very limited it's extremely pointless to get HEAP just to pen them. See the link I posted earlier for a table of HE and HEAP penetration.

892 posts
7,853 battles

The main problem is that there's not enough skill points to go "everything Secondaries" anymore. To build a captain with BFT, AFT, Demolition (which affects secondaries now), Manual Secondaries, and HEAP would require 21 points.

I'm currently trialing a Bismarck with all those except AFT. The combination of HEAP and Demolition, plus both fire chance flags, still leaves it with a 5% and 6% (150mm and 105mm, respectively) fire setting chance. Not too bad, really, and the range is still 8.8km.

10.6km secondary range FTW

Sign in to follow this