Sign in to follow this  
XPHOEN1X

Need advice on how to play

9 comments in this topic

3 posts
334 battles

Hey everyone!

I've just started playing this game a few days ago and I'm now up to tier 4 on the IJN cruiser line. Unfortunately I find myself getting sunk often in battles and not doing much damage, so I'd appreciate some advice on how I can play better (especially with regards to the IJN cruisers)

What I've tried in the Kuma:

1. Keeping my bow towards the enemy.

This is something that many guides tell me to do, but when I try to do it, I often find myself getting into very close range with the enemies, getting surrounded and sunk in a matter of minutes. Zig-zagging does help at longer ranges, but as soon as I get within 5 or so km with half the enemy team shooting me it doesn't really help

2. Turning away before I get surrounded

In an attempt to prevent what I described in (1), sometimes I try to turn around and run before I get surrounded. However, that meant showing my broadside to the enemy and getting deleted by multiple citadel hits in the 10-20 seconds i take to turn around. Even if i do manage to get away, I'm often severely crippled by the time i get un-detected.

3. Ambushing enemies with my torpedoes.

With the 7km range on my torpedoes, I would have to get suicidally close to the enemy AND turn my broadside to them if I want to torpedo anything in open waters. I tried using islands to hide myself before launching torpedoes, but whenever I pop out to launch my torpedoes, I'd get spotted and in the length of time it takes for me to turn around and run, several enemies usually would have started shooting me and I either get destroyed or severely crippled, not to mention having the risk of being spotted while trying to set up and ambush and ending up at the bottom of the ocean.

So, is there anything I can do to survive longer in game while being able to make an effective contribution to my team?

173 posts
5,332 battles

Theoretically, I'm  bad at playing cruisers, but these are just the basics.

1. Keeping my bow towards the enemy

Its good but don't overextend. You do not want to be the first to be detected. 

2.Turning away before I get surrounded.

Time your turns. Always check where the battleship guns are pointing before committing to a turn. Have a DD ahead of you to scout to avoid being surprised and surrounded.

3. Kuma is 80% guns, 20% torpedoes. Use the torpedoes as a last-ditch weapon only.

Watching youtubers might help you.

Tenryu and Kuma have similar playstyle. Flamu has good advice on when to use or not to use the torpedoes.

Beta Tester
95 posts
2,667 battles

Hard for me to give advice, I have both bad and good games, however at this stage whilst you are learning I would suggest staying with the main battle group, if there are 3 or 4 team mates to your right but another 6 ships to your left, then stay with the group of 6, maybe just consider hanging with the battleships to protect them from destroyers.

Good sailing and luck.

671 posts
1,508 battles

Keeping bow towards the enemy is good and all but it only gives you 3 guns to shoot. My favorite way to play the Kuma, is to stay at the longer ranges or stay behind an island, its safer to show broadaide then. And when the enemy just looks at me I turn bow or aft on.

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,309 battles

There are alot of guides on how to cruiser in youtube (Flamu, Noster, Yuro (old name astf), ichasegaming, etc) 

But as for general guides for a cruiser: 

Positioning is important, you don't want to be the first guy to be focused down. Keep an eye on the minimap (bottom right) and see where is your team going. Cruisers are technically the hardest class to master due to their multi-roles in the fleet. (They literally can be one-shotted by battleships) 

Your torpedoes are last resort, dun over-rely them as you have to show full broadside to use them (due to placements). 

U r technically a bully, only engage when the situation favours you (they are not looking, guns pointing other side, etc). 

Last but not least, gud luck in climbing higher tiers :rolleyes::honoring:

[BRU]
83 posts
4,884 battles

The Golden Rule of Cruisers are dont show your side to the enemy if you can. That is all and HF lad i hope you Gud Luck  

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

The Kuma is, in my opinion, the best tier IV non premium cruiser. She may be extremely lightly armored, cannot bounce most battleship AP, have bad AA, but if you know how to play her she is the easiest ship to get the arsonist achievement in. Why? Because like KirstieBeau mentioned,

3. Kuma is 80% guns, 20% torpedoes. Use the torpedoes as a last-ditch weapon only.

Find a distracted enemy battleship, and just hold down LMB like you're playing an Atlanta. Kuma's fire damage can easily exceed combined gun and torpedo damage so remember, if there are distracted battleships, it's time to be a HE spammer. That being said, your AP will citadel, although you have to remember you only have 140mms so only engage broadside cruisers under 5km with AP. You may also use AP at any range on RNCLs because they are so lightly armored you usually can get random citadels on them with small caliber AP.

Regarding you yourself becoming food for the enemy team, you have to remember: the kuma cannot fight alone. Sure you could, if you want to die fast and/or die a hero, but playing the Kuma means you play as bait then get your teammates to engage while you disengage (very important), retreat, then turn back around to spam HE and support your teammates. DO NOT bow on because battleship AP will overmatch your bow armor and citadel. Instead, bait your enemy to fire by positioning yourself at a reasonable angle (let's say, 20 degrees), then cut speed and turn inwards towards the shells once they've fired. This way, the shells will either miss and fly over your bow, or will scratch/bounce off the front. This only applies for AP, so don't use this method when fighting other HE spammers.

If you can get reasonably close to enemy ships without them noticing you, you can line up for a torpedo strike. Otherwise, the torpedoes are pretty much either for CQC or as a last ditch. Try not to play like a torpedoboat, unless you feel that the playstyle suits you.

As a battleship driver, I will usually aim to sink potential HE spammers (like Kumas) first because common sense dictates you don't want cheeky botes to be bothering you when you are in the middle of an intense firefight. If I want a Kuma to broadside me, I'll just bow on and make a run for the Kuma (provided there aren't too many other enemies). In this case, remember to turn after the battleships have fired (and you've successfully dodged the shells and not been deleted), you generally have 25 seconds to complete your turn while the battleship reloads because broadsiding and/or going bow on aganist enemies is generally a really bad idea for low tier cruisers.

Oh, and also, most destroyers are food for you. Ezy 2k damage per slavo with HE.

Hope this helps. Good luck and fair seas!

Sign in to follow this