duntroon

How to launch a spotter or fighter plane from a Battleship

8 comments in this topic

33 posts

I understand that some Battleships carry aircraft (a spotter plane or a fighter) on their stern decks for locating hidden enemy ships or fighting off attacking planes. Is the selection of the aircraft type and decision to launch it automatic or, if not, how does the Captain activate the aircraft?  

99 posts
1,653 battles

Spotter is for increased range, the aircraft is a consumable activated by the keyboard letter on the UI and can be switched by clicking the consumable in the non-battle menu (on most ships you cannot change the plane type)

Low tier BB's don't have aircraft though.

Edited by Axion_Nova

218 posts
3,788 battles

USN BB get spotter plane at tier 6 New Mexico, hull B. IJN BB get spotter plane at tier 4 Myogi, Hull C. Not sure about KM though.

Edited by Puteralanun

33 posts

Many thanks for this help. I can now activate the spotter to provide a bird's eye view of the enemy ships. As these cannot be seen by my ship, am I right in thinking that I cannot target them with my guns whilst the enemy remain outside my ship's view?

218 posts
3,788 battles

Many thanks for this help. I can now activate the spotter to provide a bird's eye view of the enemy ships. As these cannot be seen by my ship, am I right in thinking that I cannot target them with my guns whilst the enemy remain outside my ship's view?

As long as you can see it and it's within the fiirng range circle, you can shoot it. Also to consider is that the elevated view from spotter plane sometimes didn't show the obstruction that may exist on the path of your shells. So you launch your spotter, fire a salvo of say, your 12 guns, and suddenly you only saw only 1 or 2 rounds fall on target. The rest hit a tall mountains that's in the way that's outside the view of your spotter.

Edited by Puteralanun

76 posts
6,191 battles

How do you get the bird's eye view? I launch spotter planes all the time but never get the bird's eye view?

99 posts
1,653 battles

How do you get the bird's eye view? I launch spotter planes all the time but never get the bird's eye view?

The view changes automatically when you launch the plane.

Any ship that you can lock on to is within firing range.

1,826 posts
8,021 battles

USN BB get spotter plane at tier 6 New Mexico, hull B. IJN BB get spotter plane at tier 4 Myogi, Hull C. Not sure about KM though.

The Spotter/Fighter planes will be available to the Gneisenau, although the KMS are secondary battery AA attributes, they are well known to spot using their planes