You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
duntroon

vanishing ships

23 comments in this topic

33 posts

I am very frustrated as the Captain of a Battleship when confronted by a fast moving destroyer or cruiser which suddenly vanishes and the next thing I know is a swathe of unavoidable torpedoes are approaching!! I think it is unfair to the lumbering battleship which is already disadvantaged in traversing its guns at fast moving targets without the additional disability of those targets disappearing for inordinately long periods! It is useless to aim at the origin of any incoming salvoes as the direction of movement of the vanished vessel is unknown and one might as well just guess at its location. More often, the vanished vessel will not give away its general location by firing but will simply unleash its torpedoes without warning. The skill of the battleship captain becomes almost irrelevant in such a mismatched situation.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

That issue is still solvable. Remember this is team battle, regardless if our server have bad team cooperation, it's not your duty as a battleship to fight alone against an enemy destroyer. But else if can't avoid it, be alert & never sail straight to your "trip back to port".

1,486 posts

That issue is still solvable. Remember this is team battle, regardless if our server have bad team cooperation, it's not your duty as a battleship to fight alone against an enemy destroyer. But else if can't avoid it, be alert & never sail straight to your "trip back to port".

Ha hahahaha

Did I read correctly, did you say the  "T" word???

:look:

But, yes, in all seriousness.....

I 100% agree

Do NOT sail in a straight line, NEVER take on a whole enemy fleet by yourself, & never go crook at your fleet after you have been sunk whilst " being a hero" & doing these things mentioned, remember, it's not your fleets fault if you sink because you cant see out of binoculars, or if you are stuck on only completing the objective, or not looking WHERE your support (if any) is........

IF you fail to take heed, then all i can say is....

Happy Rusting

:smart_fish:

Ordrazz

127 posts
6,502 battles

Mate, if you can't play battleships I think you should not play this game. It's the easiest class and requires zero skill to play, so if you struggle with that I have very bad news on your future life endeavors.

I suggest this game for your ability: http://store.steampowered.com/app/400910/

580 posts
1,587 battles

Noted with thanks. But can one be sure that the Captain of the vanished ship cannot see the victim's ship changing course?

Yes we can, it's what conceament is for, we can see you but you cannot see us until spotted... DDs have naturally high rate of concealment but piss poor survivability, honestly it's our only "armor" so to speak... being spotted means death... that's why good DD players tend to disappear asap...

If you're a BB player and find yourself getting beat by DDs, don't take it too hard... It's how the game was designed... BBs are a DDs natural prey... As DDs are also prey to Cruisers... Rock-Paper-Scissors is one the games core concepts...

Anyways I'll let you in on a secret... Do not maintain course if you are in a BB, meaning do not sail straight at a constant speed... Many a time as a DD player I have my aim completely thrown off by a slight change of speed and heading... It doesn't take too much of maneuvering at all even for a BB... and do not sail alone, sail with a friendly cruiser

Edited by Kreigg

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles

Mate, if you can't play battleships I think you should not play this game. It's the easiest class and requires zero skill to play, so if you struggle with that I have very bad news on your future life endeavors.

0 skill? ha, BBs are some of the most team dependent ships in game, a BB that isnt skilled is far worse for thr team then a unskilled CA, they also play a bigger part in impacting the flow of the game

350 posts

and what if there's an island to where you are turning or a friendly ship?

There is the S on the WASD hack where your ship slows down so you could turn to avoid the obstacle or just stop right in front of it. It got me out of a few scraps with my teammates and also kept me from getting grounded to become a sitting duck. 

563 posts
4,686 battles

0 skill?

-Must have perfect positioning

-Must have situational awareness 

-Must have perfect aiming

-Must angles the ship just right

-Must survive

-Being blamed for all the nerf

How's playing BB requires 0 skill?

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

battleship requires 0 skill to play? Dude stop trolling new players, lol

Beta Tester
317 posts
953 battles

Sarcasm detected

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

So every time a battleship player has a trouble, sarcastic and mean replies fly all over the post, sad thing for a community.

So in this game there's a detection range system you can learn from the official wiki, here.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/View_Range_%26_Camouflage_(WoWS)

So it's normal that a ship disappears from your view.

My suggestions on evading torpedoes on a battleship
1. Don't rush. Sure people always call sniping battleships cowards and noobs, but a moderate amount of sniping is useful and necessary. As you must have noticed, battleships are bulky and not quite maneuverable. That means they aren't meant for really close ranged combat. Keep a moderate amount of range.
2. Keep maneuvering. Changing direction and speed constantly can mostly keep you safe from long ranged torpedoes.
3. Be careful around islands. Many destroyer captains use islands for ambush, so be careful and do a lot of maneuvers. Try not collide with an island.
4. Catapult fighter. This is a consumable available for battleships T7 and above (some require upgraded hull to access this) and the French battleship Dunkerque. As this little plane flies around your ship, it can sometimes detect torpedoes earlier. Use it when you come into close range with a destroyer.
5. KM battleships. As the T9 and T10 battleships of KM have poor TDS, German battleships from T8 have access to a hydro consumable which can detect torps from far away. Using it at the right time can help you survive.
6. Try a destroyer, both USN and IJN. As at even low tiers, IJN destroyers can invisi-torp, you can try torp battleships and understand destroyers by trying them. And try USN detroyers, do dogfight with other destroyers. By doing this you can practice how to evade torps.

I started as a potato destroyer captain and is a battleship/cruiser mixed player now, and I find my destroyer experience helpful.

Edited by _Halcyon

33 posts

Thanks for all these replies, both sarcastic and otherwise! Perhaps battleships are not for me as I do not have the patience to stooge about far to the rear of the action waiting for attrition of the enemy by my fearless team mates before approaching within firing range to challenge whatever remains of the enemy.

1,486 posts

I have noticed that when I AM looking at DD in my binoculars they turn away as you are lining them up to shoot at them,  when they do that, 9 times out of 10 it means they have launched torpedos at you, so the best advice I can offer seriously is to turn away yourself away from your course, in a bb you turn slow, so immediately turn away, or you will find little red triangles hitting you & blowing holes in your ship

Ordrazz