Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NZXRedBaron1985

Attn to Developers: Suggestions regarding "RN Cruiser Gap"

3 comments in this topic

18 posts
188 battles

I've come back to the game recently, after a long time away, mainly due to the release of the first Royal Navy ships, and so far, been having a blast with them, despite not being that skilled.

With that being said though, the RN does have something of a capability gap in my view; in that presently it lacks any of their 'big gun' heavy cruisers. Now, to be fair, the RN doctrine, responsibilities, and budget generally favoured cruisers with 152mm (6in) guns, especially in the run-up to WWII, but they nonetheless did indeed have some 'big gun' cruisers, and it might be nice to see some of them introduced, particularly given how notable some of them were.

In fact, alongside the three real-life heavy cruiser classes the RN used- Hawkins-class, County-class (subdivided into the Kent, London and Norfolk subclasses), and the York-class, there's also a fourth class that was budgeted for and allocated constructional slipways for prior to being cancelled that could be used to help fill out the numbers.

This was the Surrey-class, a two-ship class of HMS Surrey and HMS Northumberland, whose details (such that I could find) were as follows:

Surrey class:
10,000 tons standard.
Propulsion: six boilers, two funnels, 60,000 shp for 30 knots legend draught, 29 knots deep draught.
Armament: 4x2 8", 100 rpg; 4x1 4" AA, 200 rpg; 2 x 4cm pom-poms with 1,000 rpb; 2x4 21" torpedo tubes with 9 torpedoes.
Aeronautical: two catapults with two aircraft.
Armor:
Engineering: 5.75" + 1" belt; 2,25" + 0.5" decks.
Magazines: 5.75" + 0.5" upper strakes belt, 2.5" + 0.5" lower strakes belt; 3" + (3/8)" decks; 3" + 0.5" bulkheads.
Steering gear: 1.5" deck.

According to best estimates, the Surrey-class would be roughly equal to the USN's New Orleans-class, presently in-game at Tier 8; dimensions-wise they'd be slightly shorter and narrower than the County-class, but longer and fatter than a York.

And for completeness, here's two sets of images I found on shipbucket, based on the actual naval blueprints for the Surrey-class, that could be used for the model?

The initial design for the Surrey-class, from 1927.

The modified design that the Surrey-class was ordered as, from 1929/1930.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

There is an intended gap at the moment - the RN line at the moment currently consists entirely of light cruiser designs/plans. If I'm not wrong, a future line-split for heavy cruisers has been planned. The problem, I believe, is finding sufficient heavy cruiser designs to populate the upper tiers.

18 posts
188 battles

There is an intended gap at the moment - the RN line at the moment currently consists entirely of light cruiser designs/plans. If I'm not wrong, a future line-split for heavy cruisers has been planned. The problem, I believe, is finding sufficient heavy cruiser designs to populate the upper tiers.

True enough; that's why I dug out the details of the Surrey-class. And if need be, the County-class could be split into the Kent/London-subclasses, and the Norfolk-subclass- some sources consider the three subclasses different enough to count as their own discreet classes of vessels.

As for earlier ranks, there are a few of what they call "Armoured Cruisers" of the WWI era that could populate the early tiers; in no particular order, there's the Cressy-class, the Drake-class, the Monmouth-class, the Devonshire-class (1903), the Duke of Edinburgh-class, and the Warrior-class; there was also a Minotaur-class from 1906, but that might cause confusion with the Tier 10 light cruiser.

Sign in to follow this