You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

How to play the Iowa ?

28 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi all, just unlocked the Iowa this morning and played a game in her. My first impression is that she is rather fast even with her stock engine and her improved muzzle velocity from North Carolina. However, she is really fragile and get citadeled really easily compared to the North Carolina..... So my hyper aggressive play style is irrelevant. Because of this, I want to ask the community about tactics for playing the NC.... I loved my first game in her, despite her weaknesses and I hope that she won't disappoint !

Go ahead guys, spam your tactics below :red_button:

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

lel congrats, you already have the iowa while i've just unlock the North Carolina.

btw check Flamu Iowa gameplay. he mostly run concealment build on Iowa. run accuracy mod to increase the chance of dealing massive damage while uses her stealth and speed to reposition and ambush unsuspecting cruiser or battleship.

Edited by yansuki

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Same way you should've played the NC. Grab the concealment, use your speed and low detectability to sneak around and freak out cruisers or punish BBs. Your third turret effectively doesn't exist.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,036 battles

I am a good player in the North Carolina & Montana but in the Iowa I'm a potato, I could never make the Iowa perform consistently for me. Although I see a lot of players do the Forward/Reverse gameplay for entire games & that seems to work well for them.

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

I am also a potato in Iowa. I just cannot handle T10 enemies. However, my build is fully upgraded minus FCS, 21km is more than enough for Iowa. For upgrades, I use, turret hp, aa range, accuracy (many players use rof mod), demcon, ruddershift, concealment.

For commander:

BFT, EM, SI, AFT, MAA, BOS

For consumables:

DCP2, Repair2, Fighter1

Flags: 

Usual BB flags.

For performance, shorter version is : Iowa is as good as your aiming skill. Not durable against tier 10 ships of any class. You have to be on the lookout to find the opportunity to punish enemy mistakes. Also, keep in mind that, Iowa has really bad maneuverability. So you have to avoid the death turns in front of other battleships.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

lel congrats, you already have the iowa while i've just unlock the North Carolina.

btw check Flamu Iowa gameplay. he mostly run concealment build on Iowa. run accuracy mod to increase the chance of dealing massive damage while uses her stealth and speed to reposition and ambush unsuspecting cruiser or battleship.

You saw what happened to my Iowa today:trollface:

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

iowa meets T10 ships often and gets normal penns a lot like bismarck and tirpitz, use speed and concealment, play like a ranger in RPG games, strike hard, go into concealment, reposition, strike again, rince and repeat, or if you are feeling manly, take a survival build, prop your side to a moutain, take reolad mod, and chase away anyone you encounter

683 posts
7,358 battles

I am a good player in the North Carolina & Montana but in the Iowa I'm a potato, I could never make the Iowa perform consistently for me. Although I see a lot of players do the Forward/Reverse gameplay for entire games & that seems to work well for them.

Funny is I'm ok with Bismarck and GK, very very bad in FDG... tier 9 BB need some love?

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,043 battles

Ask me that how many times to be citadel shot 

honestly there nowhere to turn around because completely suicide 200%

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Ask me that how many times to be citadel shot 

honestly there nowhere to turn around because completely suicide 200%

its a gamble, there are time where i manage to turn unscathed, there are times i got citadel but it save my ship from total destruction. sometimes its better to take some damage instead of getting totally annihilated.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Timing of turning, but very hard if multiple ships aim at you.

Saw quite a few Iowa doing bow tanking, in the end got sunk due to cannot maneuver and didn't dare to turn around..

i have a game on stock NC, i'm with a missouri who is bow tanking, i saw two Gnesenau bellow 10km charging our position. nope.jpg i turn around because i know they are planning to uses their torps and try to kite them with my guns. missouri sunk along with two gneisenau because he didn't turn around while i manage to live.

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,043 battles

Well I need buff bow armor for a bit even Gneisenau could pen hull A

just look it 

http://i.imgur.com/qOmIxGH.jpg?1

[TOGN]
Beta Tester
115 posts
13,336 battles

played the iowa couple of days ago first time in months.  3 battles to get  a win she fully upgraded mods 27.1 k range what i found was a lot ships  camping  at the back so loaded with, H e  ,scout in the air  that was a blast but  my focus is getting the yamato just over 100k xp away so i put her back in the mothball fleet tii i get some more free premium

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

wow NC with concealment expert and camo has 11.8km concealment range. my only problem with her is her slow Shell speed and top speed. looking forward to play Iowa.