You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Peanutflower

Tactics for the Gneisanau

6 comments in this topic

26 posts
1,989 battles

Alright so I`ve got the Gneisanau and am at the second hull. I'm liking it but the guns do sometimes make me wonder. I`ve had now multiple occasions where a cruiser has been beached in front of me and every one of my shots straddle each side of the target. I`m considering getting the main guns accuracy mod but I`ve heard that that can make the dispersion even worse close up. Now, I love everything else about the ship but the fact that the guns have been so gimped causes me to struggle to get high damage at all. I think this ship is more aimed towards shooting at battleships due to the high calibre and low amount of shells so I might try that rather that ever shooting at cruisers. Other than that is there anything anyone knows that I can do to improve my performance or is it more simply a question of my bad skills with the game?

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

go for secondary build.

gneisenau if fast and she can keep up with cruisers. push with your ally cruiser to give them some dose of bravery pills also to keep those pesky dd away from you. uses her speed to penetrate weakness in enemy formation.

btw checkout the video made by business6  youtube about gnesenau.

26 posts
1,989 battles

I`m indeed going for a secondary build and have aft, I have watched business6 for a while now. My main problem is getting used to knowing when to push in (as in gauging whether or not anyone will come with me when I push) and the low broadside weight. I might have to watch business`s video on it again. Anyway, thanks.

Edited by Peanutflower

563 posts
4,686 battles

Never ever stop moving, move around the map and shoot the best target, when the battle opens up, you do a decisive push. Look for opening on the enemy lines(where there's no DD to ambush you, no smoke cruiser, etc) any push that you believe you can handle yourself. 

980 posts
12,617 battles

Figuring out when to charge is the fun part of learning to play the Gneisenau. 

It is my favourite battleship so far due to its flexibility and cruiser-like characteristics. Its only weakeness is its low number of main guns, but in my opinion it doesn't do much to reduce the fun factor. 

You've got the right idea - hang back at a range of 14-16km for the first third of the battle, and then from then onwards, look for an opening and charge forward, ideally at an isolated enemy battleship. An angled Gneisenau is incredibly strong.

Against all except the enemy BB captains with the coolest heads, a charging Gneisenau will send them into a panick:

- The enemy can't run, and they've got to think very carefully before turning to reduce their vulnerability to your torpedoes.

- At the same time, your secondaries are pelting the enemy, setting multiple fires and creating the dilemma for the enemy whether to use the damage control party or not, or to wait until your torpedoes have hit/missed before using it, resulting in significant fire damage.

- If they show a broadside too early, your 15 inch guns will get citadels. After their turn, enemy BBs lose even more speed (esp Colorado), enabling you to close in even more

- You continually close your distance with your 30+ knots speed, while angled or bow, making AP hits difficult, and it will take them too long to reload and/or switch ammunition to HE to cause more damage. At the same time, the profile of the Gneisenau bow-on is relatively small, reducing the target profile for the enemy. 

I haven't even touched on the excellent AA of this ship yet. 

If TLDR, a charging Gneisenau is very scary.