You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KaZanova

Why did we redesign Commander skills

201 comments in this topic

WG Staff
88 posts
2 battles

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure you have seen news about Public test 060, if not plz read it here

One of the features for test is, new commander skills

So let me share a bit of explanation of why we did it.

What we didn’t like?

1.           5 levels of commander’s skills made for too long of an upgrade at the end, and it was hard to justify the usefulness of 5 points.

2.           Different numbers of skills on different levels, and “way too deep upgrades” also reduced variability - for each ship / type, in many cases, there was only one optimal combination. This negated the purpose of the skills – together with upgrades, they allow players to fine-tune the ship for individual styles of play.

3.           In the current version of the game, there was an imbalance of certain skills in either cost or effectiveness.

4.           There were only a few skills suited for aircraft carriers.

5.           Current skill classification focused on the obvious – on the characteristics affected, not the style of the game.

6.           There was a "practical" limit (18 points) and a "theoretical" one (19); after these, a commander’s development was completely unclear.

How did we deal with these issues?

1.           Now the maximum cost of a skill is 4 points. The maximum number of points is 19; the speed of upgrading at the end was increased, and in the beginning – slightly reduced. This sets a smoother and more interesting tempo for upgrading a commander at all stages.

2.           The number of skills increased, the matrix grew “in width”. As a result, we get a lot of interesting new combinations, and a far greater variability.

3.           Many skills were changed for the better balance. For example, Preventive Maintenance – previously a very expensive skill with an unjustified-for-five-points effect was slightly weakened and moved to level 1 – now, the bonus looks more appealing, considering the new cost. Basics of Survivability and Basic Firing Training, on the other hand,  were too powerful for the previous cost of 1 point (and therefore, uncontested) – they were moved to level 3 (and Basic Firing Training got an increased effect on AA defenses).

4.           2 specialized skills were added for aircraft carriers.

5.           Classification was revised in terms of playing style. New skill groups — Endurance, Attack, Support, and Versatility — provide a better understanding of the purpose of the skills.

6.           After receiving the 19th skill point (which in the new version has an adequate cost, and not the previous 9,999,999 XP), a Commander starts earning special, Elite Experience. It can be spent profitably: upgrading other commanders, quick retraining, or redistributing skills.

What changes to gameplay should be expected?

1.           There will be fewer universal skill sets in the game and far more specialized ones focused on a particular approach to a ship. For example, a battleship will be easier and more effectively upgraded for survivability of anti-torpedo armament, but to fit everything fully into one skill set will be difficult.

2.           There will be specific skills, around which interesting tactics can be built. For example, Radio Position Finding will let destroyers and cruisers effectively specialize in fighting for points and hunting destroyers. Inertia Fuze for HE Shells motivates players to change firing HE shells from “throwing fire around” into aiming at weak points and doing direct damage. Adrenaline Rush will encourage the most aggressive play, and will provide an opportunity to emerge victorious from a complex combat situation - and so on.

3.           With the release of this version, all players can reset their skills for free. Furthermore, new elite experience will allow continuing redistribution in the future, so that experimentation will not have to be paid for with doubloons.

Any compensation?

Sure, for your comfort there will be certain measures to make the readjustment process easier. The exact mechanics will be announced later.

UPDATE

Greetings, commanders! 
Please find additional detailed information for your convenience and better understanding of commander skills update. As always with test version, this may be changed.

Endurance (working title)

I. Tracking Alert (working title). This is a new skill.

After this skill is mastered, the Situation Awareness ("DETECTED") indicator will show the number of your opponents in the enemy team
that are currently aiming at your ship with main battery guns.

This skill will not work during retraining.

I. Preventive Maintenance — this skill was moved from Level 5 to Level 1. Its bonus was changed from -50% to -30% to the risk of incapacitation of modules.

II. High Alert — this skill was moved from Level 3 to Level 2.

II. Jack of All Trades — this skill was moved from Level 5 to Level 2. Its bonus was changed from -15% to -5% to reload time of all mounted consumables.

Reduces reload time of consumables

-5% to reload time of all mounted consumables

During retraining, a 50% penalty is applied to the effect of this skill.

III. Fire Prevention — this skill was moved from Level 2 to Level 3. Added a bonus that decreases the number of fires on a ship to 3.

III. Basics of Survivability — this skill was moved from Level 1 to Level 3.

IV. Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament — this skill was moved from Level 5 to Level 4.

IV. Survivability Expert — there were no changes for this skill.

Attack (working title)

I. Expert Loader — there were no changes for this skill.

Now this skill will also work in case there are incapacitated/destroyed main turrets on the player's ship.

I. Aircraft Servicing Expert — this skill was moved from Level 4 to Level 1.

II. Expert Gunner — there were no changes for this skill.

II. Torpedo Acceleration — this skill was moved from Level 3 to Level 2.

III. Torpedo Armament Expertise — this skill was moved from Level 2 to Level 3.

III. Emergency Takeoff (working title). This is a new skill.

It will make it possible to launch and recover the aircraft while the ship is on fire.

During fire, a 100% penalty will be applied to the aircraft servicing time

IV. Inertia Fuze for HE Shells (working title). This is a new skill.

It will increase the armor penetration capacity of HE shells fired from both main and secondary battery guns, at the expense of decreasing the probability of setting the enemy ship on fire.

-6% to chance of fire on target caused by HE Shell
+25% to the armor penetration capacity of HE shell

During retraining, a 50% penalty is applied to the effect of this skill.

IV. Air Supremacy — this skill was moved from Level 5 to Level 4.

Support (working title)

I. Direction Center for Catapult-Launched Aircraft (working title). This is a new skill.

When the Catapult Fighter or Spotting Aircraft consumable is activated, an
additional aircraft is launched. However the airspeed of catapult-launched aircraft is decreased.

+1 Catapult Fighter
+1 Spotting Aircraft
-20% to airspeed of catapult-launched aircraft

I. Dogfighting Expert — this skill was moved from Level 3 to Level 1. Added a bonus: +10% to ammunition count of fighters.

II. Smoke Screen Expert (working title). This is a new skill.

It increases the smoke screen area.

+20% to the radius of the smoke screen

II. Expert Rear Gunner — this skill was moved from Level 1 to Level 2.

III. Basic Firing Training — this skill was moved from Level 1 to Level 3. Its bonus was changed from +10% to +20% to efficiency of AA defenses

III. Superintendant — there were no changes for this skill.

IV. Advanced Firing Training — there were no changes for this skill.

IV. Manual Fire Control for AA Armament — there were no changes for this skill.

Prowess (working title)

I. Incoming Fire Alert — this skill was moved from Level 2 to Level 1.

I. Evasive Manoeuver (working title). This is a new skill.

It will decrease the airspeed of strike aircraft
, but also reduce their detectability and increase their survivability when returning to the carrier for recovery.

-30% to airspeed of strike aircraft when returning to the carrier 

-40% to detectability of strike aircraft when returning to the carrier 

+15% to survivability of strike aircraft when returning to the carrier

II. Adrenaline Rush (working title). This is a new skill.

Increases reload speed of all armament as the ship HP is decreasing

-0.1% to reload time of all armaments for every 1% of lost HP.

II. Last Stand — there were no changes for this skill.

III. Demolition Expert — this skill was moved from Level 4 to Level 3. The chance of fire on target was changed from 3% to 2%. Now this skill will also affect secondary armament.

III. Vigilance — there were no changes for this skill.

Its bonus will also be applied while the Hydroacoustic Search consumable is being used.

IV. Radio Direction Finding (working title). This is a new skill.

After this skill is mastered, the player will see the approximate direction to the nearest enemy ship. The enemy player will be alerted that a bearing was taken on their ship.
This skill will not work if a player is playing on an aircraft carrier.

The fact that the a bearing was taken on their ship will be indicated to the player in the same way as when the player's ship was detected by ship, aircraft or with the use of an active consumable.

IV. Concealment Expert — this skill was moved from Level 5 to Level 4.

Skill points

XP needed before 0.6.0

XP needed after 0.6.0

Edited by IronGuard

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

:hmm: 

the game wont be same again then... lets just hope it became more fun to play instead of suffering....

[LBAS]
4,464 posts
25,606 battles

PS T1 skill more useless than old one to CA BB DD, CV get multi-buff

Row 1:

1st skill: BB always be noticed, CA hit and run, DD stay quiet.

2nd . DD maybe some how, but more high tier take hit more stronger, not enough to stand.

3rd nope nope nope

4 6 8 th: only CV

7th never.

5th it could be useful for if we could launch 1 FT and 1 Spotter (BB and CA have both why only 1 type 1 plane)

Row 2 3 4... what say you

Pic

Public test

f1fe0a32-cd04-11e6-97d6-d89d6715223c_120

Promo

15775075_1237221539695194_65272847074517

Leaked

15676410_1237204866363528_59285796917532

Old

15727377_1237206723030009_66208972944295

Edited by MatterCore

1,124 posts

so that leak was real than =w=

that Radio Position Finding skill will make a life of IJNDD (torpedo line) become absolute hellish.

it's hard to hit something with torpedo nowadays and now 35knot ship gonna be hunt by 40+knot ship

well, just wait and see,

oh! by the way

is new tree can pick 1 in each pair or can pick both???

Edited by PGM991

381 posts
9,957 battles

Pretty disappointed that CE and AS still exist at the 4th level. Dear WG can you move them to t1 or just remove them outright? And I hope you guys did remake the Fire Prevention skill, otherwise I'd lol so hard to see it at t3.

Other than that I kinda like this update. Finally the extra captain exp can be put to some use.

213 posts
4,335 battles

Very sad we do not seem to be taking this a chance to rebalance the captain skills. Instead, it seems that even more over powered, player skill compensating skills are being added. I just don't understand any scenario where radio direction finding will be good for the game.

Copied from another thread Retia had some much better thought out ideas here:Spoiler

Skill offer option instead of power? What? Why would there be a captain skill if it doesn't give you any "power" aka special buffs. Option exists on the current tree, but I admit it's too linear, the standard AA, standard DD, standard concealment spec, standard secondary spec etc. which is why the devs are reworking the tree and putting up new skill.

Well, ruining the game by removing these important skill won't benefit anyone right? Except for you if you really want it.

The light emitted from the screen reaches your eyes, is filtered by the lens, hits the retina, is converted into electronic signals and apparently 90% of it is lost before it reaches cerebrum.

Perhaps a re-read of what I've written so far would work wonders.

or, rather than removing some skills, WG should buff other skills or add another more interesting skills.
same as ships, rather than nerfing a specific ships, they should buff other ships to be more competitive, just look at poor Shima.

Here's the problem, skills as they are right now give the player a huge performance boost.

• -10% reload for main guns
  • +20% range for main guns
  • -20% resupply time for torpedo bombers, etc.

These and many others are huge benefits that are literally "must haves" for certain ships.

There's not ever a time where you wouldn't pick these over others, even if others in the same tier were buffed.

The reason is simple, why pick something that has a risk&reward type of inner workings when you can just get

a flat buff without any risks?

Considering the performance boost currently gained by these skills the effectiveness of buffed risk&reward skills

would have to be immense.

Which brings up another problem:

A lot of these straight out performance boosting skills offer immense power to certain ships,

especially when compared to a player that doesn't have the skill(s) available.

I.e. here's a DD player with a 3pt captain and here's one with a 15pt captain.

Both are using the same ship.

One has:

- BFT

- Torpedo Armament Expertise

The other one has:

- BFT

- Torpedo Armament Expertise

- Superintendent

- AFT

- CE

Not only does he outspot the other player, he also outranges him.

To add to this he also has more smoke to plunge around, which is vital during mid/late game, especially when using the premium smoke generator.

A BB player with BFT and AFT is capable of shooting down several aircrafts pre- and postdrop.

Meanwhile without it, he'll get... what? 1 aircraft downed at best? Unless it's an AA heavy high tier BB?

So to recap the story this far:

- Straight buffs give the player no real options to select skills according to playstyle

- They increase the disparity between new and long term players

Furthermore there's no reason for them to exist if WG would just buff certain ships by themselves instead of relying

on players to reach a certain captain's skill that improves their performance to competitive levels.

To give an example of how I would prefer skills like this to be:

AFT:

+20% Firing Range for Main Batteries up to and including 139mm and all Secondaries

+15% chance for the Main Batteries and Secondaries to be incapacitated or disabled

(15% out of my hat, needs testing to see a balanced percentage)

Torpedo Armament Expertise:

-10% to Reload Time for Torpedo Launchers

+20% chance for Torpedo Launchers to be incapacitated or disabled

(20% out of my hat, needs testing to see a balanced percentage)

BFT:

-10% Reload time for Main Batteries up to and including 139mm and all Secondaries

+8% to detectability when firing

(8% out of my hat, needs testing to see a balanced percentage)

Concealment Expert:

Reduces ship detectability range when at 50% speed.

(50% seems the most reasonable, testing could provide the data to increase this to 75%)

Superintendent

+1 additional charge to all consumables

+25s Reload Time of consumables with charges

(Doesn't effect consumables without charges like Damage Control Party)

Air Supremacy

Advanced Fighter Tactics

+Activate ability to strafe with fighters

-1 fighter per squadron

(To be perfectly honest, from the Q&As we know that there's a major CV rework in the making,

until then there's really no point in doing much for a battered class like CVs, but in my opinion removing

strafing in general and adding it as a skill with a risk&reward type of thinking might be a worthwhile idea.

After all strafing already is a risk&reward maneuver if the enemy manages to dodge it, with the reduction in fighters

per squad this also becomes a very interesting question.

Which would you prefer, the straight dps buff by having 1 more fighter per squadron, or the burst of strafing?)

Summary:

As you can see all skills (I choose a few examples, similiar can be constructed for all other skills)

now have both positive and negative effects, some of which may be strong, others too weak for their counterparts.

That's where testing and long term balancing comes into play.

I also removed the AA buffs from BFT&AFT because I feel like if certain ships need the additional AA firepower... well...

quite easily WG should just buff them accordingly.

The torpedo bomber resupply time reduction of -20% was also removed from Torpedo Armament Expertise for the same reason.

If WG feels like basic/strike loadouts should have torpedo bombers resupply faster than dive bombers, then they should just change it

for the ship hulls.

Edited by Retia, Yesterday, 10:08 AM.

Edited by Gorbon_Rubsay

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,917 battles

Well you could look at these new skills in 2 or 3 different ways.

First of all,  they have added extra and new CV commander skills that could help with the survivability of CV in the game.

Second, with the new radio position finding skill they hope that it will stop DD players trying to find a way thru the enemy lines just to hunt enemy CVs as no player will try to get thru knowing they going to b detected more easily.

Thirdly ijn DD will have the use of this skill as well to help them detect enemy DDs near them and be able to run away and not get out gunned by a gunboat. 

But it all depends on the range of the skill for each type of ship class in the game.

Thats my thoughts on it. But probably wrong lol

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

And so it is real. The dreaded skill change most players have been hoping to be fake. What a sad day for WoWS. While making the skills upto lvl 4 is good, the new added skills are disastrous.

HEAP - WHO THE ^% will get this skill?
Air Supremacy - the balance breaking skill is still here. with it becoming lvl 4, it just becomes a skill point sinkhole for CVs like the old captain alert skill.
Feiry take off - is an absolutely worthless skill to get for CV given than there are far better skills in that same level. There will be only 1 out of 100 games this will be useful
keen inuition/radio position - yeah, whoever thought about this skill. Good job devs!

Two is better - AS IF CVs NEED MORE REASON TO PLAY. THANKS

Edited by Deicide

403 posts
8,172 battles

It's funny how the official description of RPF says that it will not work on carriers, so if the IJN DD is able to run the gauntlet of Russian radar cruisers, Fletchers, and now practically anyone who has that skill, they will be rewarded...sometimes...

(At least that is how I understand it)

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

WFT? they still push the idea. how is it a good a idea to totally make one line obsolete with just 1 skill?

its not hard to pinpoint DD location if you know your ship concealment range and the positioning of your allies. specially if there are islands around that can block their LoS.

this skill will make the gameplay of the game too shallow. will probably quit the game if they still push this stupid idea.

HEAP - WHO THE ^% will get this skill?

will probably useful for akizuki, in sacrifice of fire she can now deal damage against angled tier 8 and above dd using HE.

WG pls do us a favor, either remove that useless firefighting skill or give it a reasonable buff to make it useful.

Edited by yansuki

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

I appreciate the chance to reset my crews for free, but I feel like some of the skills are meant to help clueless players.

The game shouldn't be changed due to noobs crying that a particular line is op.

54 posts
7,230 battles

Only way I see the radio position finding being not OP is if it's a ping every 60 seconds or something, else it's going to be a little too OP.

295 posts
6,592 battles

i really don't understand what WG thinking, first they nerf IJN torpedo and swap them for close and faster ones to encourage them playing more risky and at the same time lowering torpedo soup, while i 100% aggree with that decision but then now, they add skill which make current IJN torpedo gameplay useless, why?? 

[AUS_P]
Beta Tester
73 posts
13,194 battles

Please remove the Radio Position Finding this and the nerfing of the IJN DD is very very bad.

I will stop playing the IJN torp DD line completely , maybe even play a lot less Wows. :( Maybe even quit :(

Edited by EvilJade

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,454 battles

RPF might hurt lone wolf Destroyers, but for those operating with their teammates it could be used against the RPF ship. You can essentially advertise your presence on an enemy's flank while remaining unspotted. They would be unable to come after you without exposing their broadsides to your allies.

RPF might not be as anti-DD as you think.

Beta Tester
41 posts
5,595 battles

Currently having survivability build on one of my BB with only 15 points captain, damn feels good along with prem cons and signal flags , damecon 1-2, it's almost immortal. lel. 

With this my survivability build even more expensive ;-; BoS costs 2 and Firefighting costs 3 ?   

With same build in this changes, i will need 16 points. 

Edited: NO I NEED 17 pts to unlock the first one, i am calm ._. git gud grinding captain.

Edited by Ryuuzuki

[BMRSF]
373 posts
2,516 battles

Please remove the Radio Position Finding this and the nerfing of the IJN DD is very very bad.

I will stop playing the IJN torp DD line completely , maybe even play a lot less Wows. :( Maybe even quit :(

you just need to get used to it, i still enjoy use Minekaze and Mutsuki, i say IJN DD is still good