Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TechnoGore

another cv topic

20 comments in this topic

110 posts
1,474 battles

Just now I was losing an air superiority contest as a bogue vs a bogue. I was down to my last four fighters and he still had a full flight, however I had my fighters positioned near his carrier waiting for him to launch them while I had a snipe attempt coming. My question, is do planes have an immunity while taking off?

I attempted to strafe his fighters while they were taking off, and ended up having them in the strafe run for about 50%-75% of the length of the strafe, and I shot down exactly zero of his planes. The result being my fighters at a numbers disadvantaged were locked above his carrier and than my torp bombers were also wrekt. This was the first time in either wot or wows that I have exited a battle while still alive, it was that frustrating.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Yes they do , they have a short immunity period during lauching and landing. Btw , they go immune when you can no longer see the UI display on top of the unit. Btw , strafing a launching unit is not a good idea but strafing a landing one is a good idea. IJN carriers often stack their planes on top of their carrier when amassing strikes or landing crowds , if you manage to caught it in these 2 moment you can massively hurt him by strafing right pass his carrier ( US fighters will take few losses , dont do this with an IJN FT though).
Strafing do huge DPS to a small rectangle infront of the unit doing the strafing , that window move as the unit move along the course , if the units being strafed are outside that window in transit they are safe ( this is the cause when you strafe a unit that is too fast or too slow that the strafe move past it before it is damaged).
Fast fighters can be tricked to strafe a fleeing squad only to do no damage if you time the moment he strafe right ( I can do it with 50/50 sucess if i put attention to it ).

783 posts
4,819 battles

Just to clarify, the immunity period by experience is only present when the plane is launching.

Imo it might be there to prevent what you're exactly doing, as in parking fighters and strafing at the ~10s the enemy CV can't control the launching plane.

If you do strafe a landing plane, regardless if the UI shows it's landing already, it'll still do damage. Which is not true for a plane that is launching.

(also, Bogue AA is really great for t5~)

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Well when FT can attack ship i hope the devs let FT and divebomber destroy planes still on the flight deck :trollface: , this will allow the fewer US  FT to stop the airthreat without having to go through the meatshield tactic that IJN carrier use.

The game concept of air superiority is wrong , instead of actively looking for plane to kill and strive to wipe the air ( seek and destroy or air superiority mission) AS carriers behave more passively and can only defend allies ship because of the stupidly AA heavy meta of high tier. In otherwords , if your team dont push your plane wont have any room to intercept threats before it is already too late

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

I tried strafing planes while they are in the sky but still not under player control. It did not work.

Are they launching or landing ? Landing has a very small immune window when the planes almost reach the carrier but launching it is immune all the way till it is controllable by player. Might have to check back , but my experience is this. Also strafing do less damage when you are strafing the plane's front , better strafe its back or sides

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

Are they launching or landing ? Landing has a very small immune window when the planes almost reach the carrier but launching it is immune all the way till it is controllable by player. Might have to check back , but my experience is this. Also strafing do less damage when you are strafing the plane's front , better strafe its back or sides

They were launching. You know, when the planes leave the ship but still circling around to form the group. Strafing did no damage at all. (I tried it in Co-Op, but I think same thing will happen in regular battles as well).

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

Aircraft are immune to any form of attack while taking off, but are vulnerable while landing (only strafe when they land).

That said, strafing above a Bogue is risky as it has abnormally high AA for T5.

313 posts
10,071 battles

well, i sometimes instantly kill catapult planes in my unsinkable cheatland cleveland or other gud AA ships

i shot them before the catapult shot them, kinda hilarious :teethhappy:

dont know CV planes have other stories 

Edited by Minifirefly

930 posts

Aircraft are immune to any form of attack while taking off, but are vulnerable while landing (only strafe when they land).

I (Hosho) was launching planes near New York AA. Some of em already died off even before the launching sequence ended. 

I kinda wanna test that again.:hmm:

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,013 battles

I (Hosho) was launching planes near New York AA. Some of em already died off even before the launching sequence ended. 

I kinda wanna test that again.:hmm:

I know that the aircraft squads will react as if they are under attack, but have never actually seen take-off casualties before.

783 posts
4,819 battles

Take-off casualties are a thing but only to AA. (Experienced this when two carriers are basically beside each other trying to launch planes)

A better example would be how Catapult fighters are killed before they fully launch during brawls.

The immunity here is only against strafes(mainly all forms of plane fighter damage)

Landing still takes the normal amount of damage to anything regardless if they are in player control.

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

Take-off casualties are a thing but only to AA. (Experienced this when two carriers are basically beside each other trying to launch planes)

A better example would be how Catapult fighters are killed before they fully launch during brawls.

The immunity here is only against strafes(mainly all forms of plane fighter damage)

Landing still takes the normal amount of damage to anything regardless if they are in player control.

Can confirm.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Don't bother striking a Bogue, unless the Bogue driver is a 100% oblivious it will not sink in one go.

Also yeah AA can still shot down a plane while it's taking off

Edited by Admiral_Turing

58 posts
3,805 battles

This reminded me of a game im the only 1 left and the enemy taiho and bismarck just came to my side and just parked there without shooting me while i launch my planes and see them reduce to 0 when the UI lights up. Fun times indeed where they feed on my planes for exp. And so yea, launching is immune to strafe only.

110 posts
1,474 battles

Thanks guys. I never even considered that planes would have immunity, since they basically don't when landing.

Another question if you don't mind is how do I beat an AS ryujo in my balanced dependence? I lost my first fighter stack at the start, but made what I thought was a decent come back by killing all three of his squads for zero losses in mid game. And than he came back at me with 3 full squads again.. wish US got access to that sort of reserve level

58 posts
3,805 battles

Its all about baiting and forcing the enemy to choose prority. The game of cv play is to deal more damage than the opponent cv at the end of yhe game, regardless of how many planes u lose.

One method is to act while your opponent is distracted, especially of the enemy is playing a IJN cv. Park your 3 groups near the target you want to strike but out of sight. When you see the enemy strike planes closing into your friendly ships to do a manual drop, u close in your fighters to strafe his neglected fighters while clicking your strike planes near enemy ships. IJN CV will most probably be too focused on manual drops and ignore his fighters.

Sign in to follow this