Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
drronnie

Why do people compare the Graf Spee to the Scharnhorst

17 comments in this topic

25 posts
410 battles

Just a matter of curiosity, I read on various forums that they would rather purchase the Scharnhorst than the Admiral Graf Spee so I was wondering as the these two ships are not of the same class and tier why these are being compared. Certainly the Graf Spee is of interest due to its beauty and historical value but if she as a Tier VI  frequently sees Tier VIII then its certainly not so good.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Just a matter of curiosity, I read on various forums that they would rather purchase the Scharnhorst than the Admiral Graf Spee so I was wondering as the these two ships are not of the same class and tier why these are being compared.

Probably because people want a crew trainer in addition to farming credits.

beauty and historical value

I lol'd

250 posts
13,136 battles

Just a matter of curiosity, I read on various forums that they would rather purchase the Scharnhorst than the Admiral Graf Spee so I was wondering as the these two ships are not of the same class and tier why these are being compared. Certainly the Graf Spee is of interest due to its beauty and historical value but if she as a Tier VI  frequently sees Tier VIII then its certainly not so good.

Yes, It's not the same class but both has similarity role "Hunt down cruiser with your 11" gun"

AGS has too few gun to counter DD effectively, too little armor to withstand punishment (Basically all cruiser), too slow for cruiser 

unlike Shinyhorse which basically "Swiss knife kit"

that's why they compare both and many will say "shinyhorse always better in any means"

450 posts
7,896 battles

In general, I guess Graf Spee is better since she is a cruiser. Although she does the same job as Scharnhorst, she is a crusier and doesn't take up BB place in team formation. Also, she can punch BBs hard with her 11" guns with AP(Yes, AP)

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,281 posts

Scharnhorst is a BB, the Graf Spee is a Cruiser.

Graf Spee has cruiser armour (Hardly any), Scharnhorst has troll armour.

Graf Spee has six 11" guns, Scharnhorst has nine.

Take your pick.

381 posts
9,957 battles

A better comparison should be against Aoba, in which Graf outclasses Aoba almost completely. But you know, some people can't live without complaining so they decided to put a t6 cruiser that worth $25 next to a t7 battlecruiser that cost $40. If the MM wasn't too harsh for t5/6 Graf would be a very solid ship.

99 posts
1,653 battles

In general, I guess Graf Spee is better since she is a cruiser. Although she does the same job as Scharnhorst, she is a crusier and doesn't take up BB place in team formation. Also, she can punch BBs hard with her 11" guns with AP(Yes, AP)

The Spee is funny because you only have to dodge fire every so often and can hammer it constantly in other CA's, maybe the players I've seen aren't good but they just seem to be easy targets.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Scharn is more versatile, it can train BB, CA, and even DD captain. It has better MM, prints more credits, easier to play. Overall a better premium.

Edited by Admiral_Turing

[-SZY-]
211 posts

Probably with those gun size and gun number, they expected Spee to be just a downtiered Scharn instead of a damn cruiser not a destroyer cruiser battleship

4 posts
2,704 battles

If people are going to buy them then they should compare whats going to be a better ship to spend money on, but at the same time if you re going to do the missions and get AGS for free then why bother 

459 posts
8,261 battles

People are comparing them because they share the same type of guns basically.

Also the term pocket battle ship confuses people. 

Scharnhorst has the advantage of speed and conditionally durability over her peers, but pays for it in the form of smaller guns.

Graf Spee has the advantage of larger guns than her peers, but pays for it in the form of slower speed but still reasonable for a cruiser. He has better torpedoes than all but the Japanese cruisers and has armour that isn't the best but not the worst among cruisers.

In this way they are almost polar opposites within their classes and will certainly play differently. Yet people are playing the Graf Spee like a BB and expecting results like the Scharnhorst even though they are a tier apart and different classes, in that context of course you'd be disappointed. You wouldn't expect the Cleveland to play like the Colorado would you?

It's gonna take a while for anyone who gets the Spee to learn to play him, you can't play him like a cruiser or a battleship because he isn't really either. Its very unique not just in the game, but in general, there were not really other ships designed like that.

I look forward to playing her when I get a chance to (I don't have it yet but intend to)

312 posts
10,043 battles

they have the same guns, so theoretically graf spee can delete cruisers as scharnhorst does,
if they have similar functions, why shouldnt we compare them before purchase (commitment)?

u wanna travel to a place, u compare taxi, train, bus etc
u wanna watch a movie, u compare their content
u wanna find a girlfriend, u compare different girls

human likes to compare something similar, non-similar things people dont compare.
cruisers and battleships are indeed different, but both scharnhorst and graf spee are hybrids between cruiser and battleship,
so i would say nothing strange about those discussions 

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Scharnhorst is a BB, the Graf Spee is a Cruiser.

Graf Spee has cruiser armour (Hardly any), Scharnhorst has troll armour.

Graf Spee has six 11" guns, Scharnhorst has nine.

Take your pick.

Tirpitz?
Edited by Aaditya_AJ

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

I dont care about historical value

I dont try to get AGS for OP ship / money maker

I just want AGS incase someday WG decide to gave it HSF skin...

Its good to have another anime ship in my port

Sign in to follow this