You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

let's be simple/honest, what do you think of 'stealth firing'

what do you think of 'stealth firing'  

168 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of 'stealth firing'

• Necessary/must have for gunboat to be playable.
    • No, it shouldn't be possible in the first place
    • whatever, I can deal with it.

123 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

Be able to fire main gun out in open water with no obstacle or smoke yet remain invisible to the target.

what do you think of it?

I, personally pick 2, but is depend

If WG were to implement new shell type that especially design t to be invisifire but low alpha damage and no chance of fire... I can deal with it.

the rest AP/HE will lose ability to stealth fire completely.

to me, most frustrated is not being shoot out of nowhere, but being set on fire out of nowhere =w=

Edited by PGM991

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Yea, its absurd. There is no circumstance in reality where a ship in range can fire in broad daylight and not be visible... plus there would be a low chance at best of not being spotted even without drawing attention with firing guns.

But would be totally justified in night time maps if the game had them... but that would be a whole new ball game, and i reckon it could be hell fun! lol

683 posts
7,358 battles

Stealth firing should not be there. It's illogical to remain undetected despite firing in open water, no matter which class it is.

If WG thinks that it'll hurt DD, then slightly increase their firing range so that they can stay at a longer distance, though detected, easier for them to dodge incoming shells from target.

Stealth firing cruiser is a no no.

[LNA]
1,665 posts
10,469 battles

That really depends on who is doing it and what is the stealth firing window for each ship. Ship that has ridiculously large stealthfire window should be gone , stealth window should be around 2km max to atleast give the one getting rekt a chance to see who is firing at him. Currently some ship has too much stealth firing window that it is sickening. However i do not think removing stealth firing is a good idea simply because high tier ships are very accurate and zig zag when under fire is still a bad thing to be under for a dd.

WG can try increasing the visibility time when firing to nerf certain classes or ship though

1,126 posts

Cruisers shouldnt be able to do it.

My Zao should not be able to just fire away without concern because I cant be spotted.

Yep, agree

invisifire for a Light cruiser (tier 1-5) is at least bearable

but for a Heavy Cruiser, invisifire should not be possible in every way.

at least make their detection bloom match theirs firing range

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

DDs should be able to invisi fire at a very small range. (1km to 1.5km tops)

CLs should be able to invisi fire at a almost uselessly small range. (0.3km to 0.7km)

CAs shouldn't be able to invisi fire or switch between being spotted/unspotted repeatedly.

BBs shouldn't be able to switch between being spotted unspotted repeatedly.

And also remove Concealment Expert from the bloody skilltree.

Then again I'd wish all straight up performance boosts (For example: BFT, AFT, Air Supremacy and Concealment Expert) would

be removed from the skilltree.

[ASALT]
Beta Tester
12 posts
4,457 battles

The Russian cruisers are so OP with this ability to just sit in smoke and fire their large calibre salvos with every one of them starting a fire.

You cant close the range because you just burn like a Roson ( nick name for the Sherman tanks during ww2 due to their tendency to catch fire)

I would take them on but every salvo starts a fire and I mean every salvo. Everyone should just play Russian cruisers. Problem solved.:hiding:

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Well if you're talking about not hiding in smoke and firing then I think it shouldn't happen.... But with smoke it is fine because you can see where actually he is firing from and counter it with torpedoes......

Like Deathskyz said Cruisers and even gunboats shouldn't be able to invisifire without smoke....

207 posts
8,201 battles

you want killing British cruiser,USN cruiser,IJN cruiser,and Destroyer right...

there is nothing wrong with Concealment Expert....

what they need to rework is detection range after shooting especially for Cruiser 

Alpha Tester
28 posts
3,097 battles

Nothing should be able to hide in smoke and fire away accurately like we have in the game mechanics - its about as realistic as oh say DD spamming torpedoes every 30 secs and never running out

Smoke is a defensive measure normally, unless you are willing to attack blind. You pop smoke its for concealment, you shouldn't be able to use it to hide and spam HE/AP/Torps accurately, it should effect both your view of the Enemy vessels and the enemy vessels view of you. The ability to stealth fire in open water is about as the same level as the ability to fire in smoke - should never happen.

Sometimes whilst I'm aware its a game not a simulator, I think that WG programming staff need to go and see some of the things they are trying to program, such as smoke screens (just what you can see and what you cant see, how long it takes to lay etc), RoF from hand loaded (and how long you can keep up a fast RoF), how far you can see other types of ships at sea and how long it takes to load Torpedoes whilst at sea. That way they can better represent such things in the game, and provide a more balanced output and product.

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU

[WOLF]
Alpha Tester
60 posts
3,641 battles

From Russian Dev Team 

"Haven’t abused the invisi-firing before? Haven’t abused the ability to spam shells while sitting in the smoke before? Better do it quick before something which is going to happen soon."

110 posts
1,474 battles

Depends how they remove it. I am only in mid tiers, but find no problem with dd being able to invisifire. Cruisers bit harder to justify, but is it really that much of a problem when they can just sit behind an island and do it anyway?

When they remove it, it will be harder for dd but everything else should be fine. More important is how they remove it. If they do it like German dds, where detection range ends up being kilometres above gun range, that ends up being a nerf rather than simply 'fixing' something. Basically for stealth firing ships detection penalty should only match their max gun range

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

you want killing British cruiser,USN cruiser,IJN cruiser,and Destroyer right...

there is nothing wrong with Concealment Expert....

what they need to rework is detection range after shooting especially for Cruiser 

Then again I'd wish all straight up performance boosts (For example: BFT, AFT, Air Supremacy and Concealment Expert) would

be removed from the skilltree.

There shouldn't be any direct performance boosts in the skilltree, or if there are any then they should be weak as cake and reside in the 2% to 5% area.

Instead WG should buff the ships that require things like the extra firing range from AFT to perform well on a ship by ship basis.

Additionally what small performance boosts there are should already be available a tier I and II while III-V offer the player options to the playstyle.

I.e. stuff like Manual Control for Secondaries or Last Chance. (Only less crappy than it is atm)

This would also stop the skilltree from effectively being 1-2 must pick skills per tier&class and a lot of useless garbage and fluff around it to confuse newbies.

213 posts
4,335 battles

Don't like it but what is the alternative?

1. Nerf Accuracy? ~Urrrrrr

2. Nerf shell speed? ~ Worms! In the Ocean!

3. Make Ships even faster and more manueverable? ~ world of warplanes 2d

4. Limited red pawns for DDs and CAs! ~Even more Arcady

5. Make CAs and DDs flotillas i.e. If you play CAs you get 2 ships in formation, DDs 5? ~ would be fun but probably impossible without serious hardware

Basically I can't think of a better alternative to balancing a DD/CA against a BB~ anyone have a good idea?

334 posts
13,020 battles

Don't like it but what is the alternative?

1. Nerf Accuracy? ~Urrrrrr

2. Nerf shell speed? ~ Worms! In the Ocean!

3. Make Ships even faster and more manueverable? ~ world of warplanes 2d

4. Limited red pawns for DDs and CAs! ~Even more Arcady

5. Make CAs and DDs flotillas i.e. If you play CAs you get 2 ships in formation, DDs 5? ~ would be fun but probably impossible without serious hardware

Basically I can't think of a better alternative to balancing a DD/CA against a BB~ anyone have a good idea?

This you would need to come up with an alternative before nerfing smoke. I am a terrible dd player never last long in a battle but if you remove smoke well I would not bother playing dd at all. I know its annoying as hell to be shot at out of nowhere but dd are so fragile what would you give them if you nerf smoke ?  

250 posts
13,178 battles

Basically, Stealth fire is nonsense thing and I see not any justification how this mechanics should be in game.

However, this mechanics helps DD and CL/CA withstand the slaughter which found very common in high tier.   

One thing I can come with solution is detection range when fire should equal to maximum fire range but introduce "Boom delay" to dictate how long firing penalty could be depend on caliber so small ships could disengage faster than larger one.