You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Gump

Trying to figure out why Gremyashchy is OP....

19 comments in this topic

66 posts
9,624 battles

Terrible turret rotation... doesn't seem to do OP damage (AP shells are strongish though), average torps, average HP, average speed.... what am I missing?

I can see why the Nikolai is OP... that many guns at that tier and very nice accuracy.... though it's very very slow lol....

FYI Got them both in the Santa crates.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles
detection buffer after firing, stealth torps that the Gnevny doesn't have, good HP for T5 DD not average, can bounce cruiser AP easily if angled, and its Russian

66 posts
9,624 battles

Cheers..... so it's actually difficult to play well, but in the right hands it can own...... so its no different than other quirky ships :teethhappy:

That turret rotation requires a lot of forward thinking and a lot of luck in not getting caught out by it.

BTW only played 1 game in it so far.... used it more like a CL than a DD :trollface:

Edited by The_Gump

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Also, 130 mm HE shell that wasn't hit by the nerf bat. Try comparing it with other Russian 130 mm guns. It's another reason why she's OP.

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,507 battles

- 1900 HE damage with 9% fire chance combined with 5sec reload

- 8km torp with decent damage (1km of stealth torp without CE)

- Good 13000 HP for T5 DD

- Hard hitting AP, 3 salvos will kill a full HP cruiser.

- Fast speed

- Average firing penalty with STOCK invisifire capabilities

What else do you need to know?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Gnevny beats every other same tier destroyer in a gun duel.

She can also use AP against CAs and BBs below certain ranges and deal massive damage.

Gremyashchy is a Gnevny with 800hp less (OH NOES... oh wait...) but in return gets a whooping 300 damage increase on her HE.

Additionally Gnevny is a terrible torpedo boat with her crippling 4km range to compensate for her gun performance.

Something Gremyashchy doesn't really care about because she has 8km range torpedoes.

Which, sure, are slow, but they're viable and you can stealth torpedo enemies.

To put this into the game's perspective:

Both DDs sink two enemy DDs but lose about 10k health from the engagements and enemy team's support fire.

Gnevny is now relegated to plung long range fire at enemy BBs, because ambushes with her 4km torps are going to get her killed.

Gremyashchy can still stealth torp enemies, then gain some distance and continue to butcher enemies with her (unnerfed) HE shells.

She is, indeed overpowered, or to use the other word overperforming.

OP does not mean that something's a I.W.I.N. button, it means that it's "power" (read: performance) is better.

Edited by Retia

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,020 battles

Has better DPM than nicholas, with excellent shell arcs.

Stealth fire capability WITHOUT any upgrades whatsoever.

Torps that make the Minekaze cry.

Insane turning circle (benson-levels of handling).

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,614 battles

it's OP only if played it right lol

stay away from usn dd, keep moving and harass any ships

if you are not manly enough russian dd is not for you :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,507 battles

10k torps  at tier 5.  Smoke that still has a decent time.  Stand off and shoot at distance. It's not a not a knifefighter

Torp was nerfed to 8km after closed beta.

Still OP.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,416 battles

Terrible turret rotation... doesn't seem to do OP damage (AP shells are strongish though), average torps, average HP, average speed.... what am I missing?

I can see why the Nikolai is OP... that many guns at that tier and very nice accuracy.... though it's very very slow lol....

FYI Got them both in the Santa crates.

You should try the 1/2 rudder shift instead of always putting the rudder at max and fire your salvo when switching between 1/2 and max.

8km on Tier 5 I would say pretty darn good and decent ship speed.

Lower ship profile unlike Nicolas..

Other than imbalanced guns and I would say shes one that needs skill to play.

Edited by R3negade

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

A few reasons:
Excellent Concealment for the tier, 6.1km with CE only beaten by IJN DDs at 5.4km

Excellent maneuverability, almost Sims level

Great Guns with great HE alpha and fire chance, albeit slow turning (more on that later)

8 km torps, with decent damage.  Not as good as IJN but still does a lot of damage if used well

These factors means that a skilled Gremy player can easily maneuvre to avoid shell fire and smoke up to fire on enemies and control areas, or to maneuvre away from the enemies into a tactically advantageous position (while waiting for turrets to turn) so as to spam long range (14.3km) HE.

The turret traverse simply means more time to get guns to swivel on target.  This is a disadvantage in dogfights but Gremy can still kite and reposition (while waiting for guns to turn).  Against USN shells with such excellent maneuverability it is easy to avoid damage.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

OP does not mean that something's a I.W.I.N. button, it means that it's "power" (read: performance) is better.

:honoring: