Sy_dn_ey

After 3 weeks playing this game

9 comments in this topic

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

After 3 weeks and getting a 4 trait captain, not sure what to do next?

I suppose my favorite ship is the molotov, its the one i do best in, but its a citadel magnet.... even so, i get allot of fun out of it and team score is higher than any other ship.

I thought the tiering of the molotov was a bit high for a new player, so i gave the bogotov a good run... but its really not a very effective ship for dealing damage and my team score always much lower than molotov. Strange, i thought lower teier would make higher team score easy? If the bogotov had at least average torps, well then it would be effective. I am saying after 30 random battles in the bogotov and 12 in the molotov... the molotov in the higher tier is easier than that bogotov.

Anyway, now my russian captain needs 5 skill points for the next level, screw that, time to try a different nation!

I recently decided to try a T3 battleship... the Nassau. I was not impressed because even with experience and knowing where someone will fire torps, anticipating nicely, and yet, still no use! lol, nothing to be done. Now i understand what people mean when they talk about the difficulty of moving forward to engage the enemy verses getting torped. I can tell you, the molotov is not a fast turning ship, but i mostly have no trouble avoiding torps in it.

I am useless in destroyers by the way.

Anyway, so i really dont know what to do next?

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,836 posts
4,138 battles

The Nassau has to be hands down the best T3 BB.     Yes, its slow but all of the T3 BBs are.  It takes damage like a boss and earns close quarter awards all day long.    You just need to point it at the enemy and turn from side to side using its armour.   You develop your captain skills for secondary fire and then just sail towards the enemy.  The way the guns are set you can fire, reload, fire, reload.      I prefer this line to both the USN and IJN Bb lines.

All the lines have their own style of play, but generally CA's are the most comfortable for new players.   Jacks of all trades and you can choose to skill them up for anti air or anti DD work.

Just try anything you want.  There is no right or wrong line or nation in the gam and you just need to work out what suits you the best.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

The Nassau has to be hands down the best T3 BB.     Yes, its slow but all of the T3 BBs are.  It takes damage like a boss and earns close quarter awards all day long.    You just need to point it at the enemy and turn from side to side using its armour.   You develop your captain skills for secondary fire and then just sail towards the enemy.  The way the guns are set you can fire, reload, fire, reload.      I prefer this line to both the USN and IJN Bb lines.

All the lines have their own style of play, but generally CA's are the most comfortable for new players.   Jacks of all trades and you can choose to skill them up for anti air or anti DD work.

Just try anything you want.  There is no right or wrong line or nation in the gam and you just need to work out what suits you the best.

It did not escape my attention the number of nassau in play, and the reviews were good, so its popular for sure.... I was thinking of doing the german battleship line, but now i have seen and understand what people have been saying about the weakness to torps, so, it is a deterrent.

On the other hand i am yet to see any other player using a molotov! ? that is a deterant as well! lol

Super Tester
7,557 posts
7,993 battles

Well, to be honest, Nassau is the best among a bunch of bad ships, so at the end of the day, Nassau is also bad, but hey, it's tier 3. 

As for anticipating torpedoes, you need to know who can torp at the tier you play, and their respective ranges. And then when you are in game, you have to keep track of every spotted enemy ships. Minimap is your friend. There is an option in the minimap that enables marker for the last known positions of enemy ships. Also always pay good attention to the "Detected" marker. It often tells you how you are detected, either by a ship, by planes or by some other means.

For the general driving rule, change you speed of battleship between each and every salvo. I get rarely torped when I play BB mostly because of this. Nassau is small as well you can dodge a lot.

German BBs at low tier tends to grow a bad habit in player. You cannot be citadelled, that is true, but that is no excuse to show your braodside.

As for accuracy, you will have better result firing all guns at a time with double click instead of single gun fire.

If you really want to learn positioning and rules of engagement in the game, I would suggest playing USN DDs first. If you want to try destroyers, leave the japanese line till you become an expert on at least one other DD line. IJN DDs are the hardest to play. You see, about 70-80% IJN DD players are clueless and bad players. Don't be like them.

Good luck.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Well, to be honest, Nassau is the best among a bunch of bad ships, so at the end of the day, Nassau is also bad, but hey, it's tier 3. 

As for anticipating torpedoes, you need to know who can torp at the tier you play, and their respective ranges. And then when you are in game, you have to keep track of every spotted enemy ships. Minimap is your friend. There is an option in the minimap that enables marker for the last known positions of enemy ships. Also always pay good attention to the "Detected" marker. It often tells you how you are detected, either by a ship, by planes or by some other means.

For the general driving rule, change you speed of battleship between each and every salvo. I get rarely torped when I play BB mostly because of this. Nassau is small as well you can dodge a lot.

German BBs at low tier tends to grow a bad habit in player. You cannot be citadelled, that is true, but that is no excuse to show your braodside.

As for accuracy, you will have better result firing all guns at a time with double click instead of single gun fire.

If you really want to learn positioning and rules of engagement in the game, I would suggest playing USN DDs first. If you want to try destroyers, leave the japanese line till you become an expert on at least one other DD line. IJN DDs are the hardest to play. You see, about 70-80% IJN DD players are clueless and bad players. Don't be like them.

Good luck.

good advice thanks.... yea usually i double click fire unless I'm unsure of the lead required. Destroyers though, on the move, very hard to hit, so i always do single volleys unless their close, well, if the destroyer is further away i wont shoot at it at all unless its the only target i can shoot at, or i see one with engine knocked out - that happens allot.

Changing speed to avoid torps, well, yes, that works when i am in the molotov or bogotov... stock unupgraded nassau - not so easy, but turning towards them works somewhat.

Destroyers...  not too interested.... whenever i get killed early in a battle, i exit to the port and take the destroyer out in co-op and slowly get better, but until i can survive a whole co-op battle, i have no business trying random in a destroyer. not doing IJN or USN, only Russian so far.

307 posts
6,413 battles

Good luck.

Totally agree that German BB's do tend to give players BAD habits as you rise through the tiers, showing broadside is easy in the lower tiers but as you go up that's when you realise that you get smashed when you do.  The key is "detected" and if you cannot see what is detecting you then change course and speed.    Another good method is follow a DD or even a cruiser .... this will give you early warning.  As your captain skills go up, then use vigilance in the captain skills.     As for DD's i would recommend the USN range or USSR range .... both a gun firing ships, but this is when you develop your WASD hack skills .... best time to learn is in T3 type games..

Enjoy.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

good advice thanks.... yea usually i double click fire unless I'm unsure of the lead required. Destroyers though, on the move, very hard to hit, so i always do single volleys unless their close, well, if the destroyer is further away i wont shoot at it at all unless its the only target i can shoot at, or i see one with engine knocked out - that happens allot.

Changing speed to avoid torps, well, yes, that works when i am in the molotov or bogotov... stock unupgraded nassau - not so easy, but turning towards them works somewhat.

Destroyers...  not too interested.... whenever i get killed early in a battle, i exit to the port and take the destroyer out in co-op and slowly get better, but until i can survive a whole co-op battle, i have no business trying random in a destroyer. not doing IJN or USN, only Russian so far.

for DD/torp mitigation in a BB you MUST be turning away/towards as soon as you are within their range.  It's too late to be starting the turn when you see the torps in the water.  By starting your turn early, you can come off your rudder earlier and then react to the actual path of the torps as needed.  

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

After playing above 4k battles i'm still shit at this game... Did I lose my confidence?? nope I still try to Git Gud... 

I hope you do the same try watching videos about gameplay.. trying to think everything through before you do anything...

I love my stats being red but someday I'll have to lose them :(

29 posts
8,383 battles

Also, don't feel you have to go charging up the tiers as soon as you have enough credits, or think you have passed that ship.  Have some fun.  You'll continue to learn more about the ships, positioning and helping your allies.

I've playing over 4,000 battles (random, ranked (370)  and coop(120)) and I'm still quite happy sailing around in my tier 6 and 7 BBs.  I'm no good in destroyers and not game to try CVs.  I will get back to these again one day.  No rush.

I only have 5 ships above tier 6.  Tirpitz and Missouri because of what they are.  Myoko I'm still trying to make work and Atago and Nagato I had to get to play ranked.  I wouldn't inflict my Tirpitz on my team in ranked as it is easily my worst ship.

Bottom line is have fun along the way.   You have plenty of time to get the other ships.

Edited by Jayde2405