You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Patton160

Here we go...US Cruisers needs Change

13 comments in this topic

8 posts
1,469 battles

The more I play the US cruiser lines the more i feel the grind to their 10 is going to be more and more...grim. I am currently on the Pensacola and well things are starting to look bad. I understand that back in the CBT and early days of WoWs when it was just literally Red [iJN] vs Blue [uSN], it was clear you want big heavy hitting guns? Go down the Japanese Crusier line, you want AA guns and slightly faster turrets, go down the US Cruiser line.

But now time has passed and in comes the German, Russian and British crusiers, that specialty the US crusier once have is kinda grayed out. Plus with the rubbish Carrier economy, no one hardly plays CVs anymore, thus the US line has lost the AA advantage. Her guns and gun ranges are pretty meh and the Pensacola she has a 15.7km gun and detection range WTF. yea yea her faking tall mast but srsly? Even her quick rotating turrets are smashed by the German counter parts. US ships don't shine as much as they did before and fankly speaking the only real gem of the line is probably the St Louis at tier 3 and Des Moins at tier 5. 

In my experience: 

Now of course I'm still working up the other lines but German cruiser seem to have just taken over what the US cruisers embody just minus the AA guns. Russian cruiser are yet to break tier 5 and German cruisers I am at the Konigsburg which is stunning with 16.5km gun range at tier 5 and also a huge floating citadel. Both aspects are stunning. Other such as Kolberg along the way was pretty amusing. Spammy 105mm guns are pretty funny to watch as you rain on other players parade especially destroyers. Russian cruisers up till Sveitlana only the Bogatry is somewhat remarkable Novick is crap due to horrendous shell ballistics. British cruisers are basically over sized destoryers that fire only AP, i gave up cos it only had AP, nothing wrong with the line, I believe they are good ships in the right hands as with all ships including US Crusiers.

But as Wargaming said, they wanted each line to feel special and unique and I can agree most lines are and have special traits and tricks. But AA guns being a special trait? Please, British cruisers blast US AA ratings at tier 7-10 out of the water when fully upgraded. So US cruisers are just plain Joes if nothing else and unless WG wants it to stay that way then well, the only light is at the end of the tunnel, there is not rest till u hit tier 10 where it is actually finally, FUN.

But of course these are my humble opinions, what do you people think?

440 posts
3,379 battles

So........     What kind of changes to them that you exactly want?

I've never really cared about ship specialty, only to their playstyle. :/

203 posts
11,788 battles

US Cruisers like New Orleans and Baltimore sure need some changes.

Pensacola has concealment issue but she made up for having almost same grade firepower as well.... usual 203mm equipped cruisers and great maneuverability.

I still can't find any heavy cruiser to have same kind of maneuverability like her and she's at tier 7 !!!.

New Orleans need some attention. She's at tier 8 yet doesn't feel like a lot of improvement over the pensacola mainly because of her hp pool and 1 less gun for a little faster RoF.

She have radar atleast but suddenly you hear ship like Indianapolis, a ship with basicly same of everything just worse overall armor and worse meneuverability at tier 7.

Baltimore only need a little RoF buff (like 1 sec) and she will be awesome.

Anti-Air though New Orlean and Pensacola suffers from having single mounts 127mm. that's the only problem with their AA.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles
Des Moines... Worse T10 cruiser to bow tank, BB will cit you from front and back and your deck is super easy to pen and citadel. But if you play it right and get a decent team you can get great results

8 posts
1,469 battles

But that is the point, i would be asking for faster firing guns cos in US terms, Artillery is King and they basically gave up on trops just so that focus more on guns? Perhaps US ships could become really nice gunslingers? But then they would be much like German cruisers but with much less Armour. You see the point? US specialty has been grayed out and you would only play them becuase you like the USN or want the Des Moins? 

I mean more power to those who play ships just to progress the game and not for Country specialty. Like US supposed to have good AA, Japan has hard hitting 203mm and super long range trops. Germany are decently armored ships with pretty good gun ballistics and range. Russia is still quite undefined but i believe its mostly for speed and decent guns at the cost of their huge size. British have the AP only and smoke gimmick as well as okay trops. So there is really no reason to play the USN unless ur going for auto loading Des Moins, or you love the USN irl or just playing the game. They aint bad until the New Orleans which is supposedly a nightmare, but they aint good either. I play the US ships cos i like US ships irl.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

new orleans though. she wont cut because she's a treaty cruiser while her other counterpart are not. she has the least HP among the Armored Cruisers. her specially AA is beaten by Premium Russian CA.

her AP is good but its not enough. he bow armor is good against AP but not against HE spammer.

2 posts
6,195 battles

I tend to agree as all these ships tend to have worse WR compared to other CA/CL of the same tier. This is something that needs to be addressed by WG. The Armor is definite not upto mark if you can be penned by a Tier 6 Cruiser at a Tier 9.

14 posts
2,390 battles

I'm at the New Orleans right now with 120 000 XP saved up, so I would say my experience with it is kinda alright but it wasn't the same after Pensacola - I could feel the grind. With most higher tier ships I could forget that I was playing for XP this one was one of the hardest grinds. Entering Tier VIII - X, the armour is much more weaker (I don't think it improved after Pensacola), even with the bow forward it could get citadel-ed. Her style isn't really aggressive because you are back in port the next minute, but it makes harder to use her radar one of the most important aspect of the cruiser in nailing destroyers - you'd always want some kind of back up or approach. But not say that it was all bad, firing her (AP) 203mm on broadsides makes you feel like got a battleship instead,  HE does can stack quite a bit of damage and can be annoying - particular when you are setting ships on fire. There nothing really defining the New Orleans for me compared to the Pensacola except the rate of fire improvements - so it has a solid attack, better AA, ... not much to say I can understand why that would feel underwhelming - but Changes for US Cruiser line, I'm not really sure US Cruiser have great firepower I think that what defines them. So in terms of improvements it would be just the firepower and rate of fire really. I still really liked the Omaha, Cleveland and Pensacola, they are my favourite ships. 

But from the New Orleans I've learned not to attack carelessly becauese my armour is SHIT

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Well i don't know the exact historical details, but i would have thought US ships would have best AA since they had to deal with kamikaze? I don't know how many British ships had to deal with that, so why would some of their AA be as good or better? Strange?

But lets face it, any and all ships were very vulnerable without fighter screens.... be thankful this reality is not translated into the game because otherwise the game would play VERY different and carriers would be the king of the seas hands down.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Well talking about Pensacola... I'd say the way you are playing it is bad... it is not like a cruiser lead it is just a support ship like cleveland with Less AA..Pensa's detection is as much as it's range is because it can DS any cruiser if it gets 13kms or 12kms range... Gun are very good... I never had a moment were guns reload slower and because of that i'm not doing damage... You need to stay as a support ship rather than try being a capital ship... both your HE and AP are extremely good.. And for me it comes 2nd with Fiji being on top because Fiji has lot of extra features...