Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NZXRedBaron1985

Just a quick straw poll here

What's your thinking?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Armed Merchant Cruisers. What do you all think?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

10 comments in this topic

18 posts
188 battles

Just throwing this thought out here, as something a bit off-beat that might be fun to mess around in.

What would you all think about having Armed Merchant Cruisers in-game?

Even if just a generic Freighter or Passenger Liner model at WWI tiers. Just as a bit of fun and to add some colour and variety to the ship lineup

440 posts
3,379 battles

Wasn't their a ship like this sometime ago?

(the long time players should know more about this)

and what would be their usage in battle? Supplying consumables?

18 posts
188 battles

I was thinking more being a Heavy Cruiser or even a light Battleship analogue at Tier 2 or Tier 3.

Something like the SMS Cap Trafalgar and the RMS Carmania, or the commerce raiders like SMS Mowe and SMS Wolf.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

You can take it into battle as a second ship AI controlled but obeys your commands.

Its a merchant ship so its there to make credits and some small help in combat.... if you get it to cap zones, it makes you credits, the more cap zones it contacts, the more credits you make etc etc

980 posts
12,617 battles

They should make a 'sink as many merchant cruisers as you can with time limit' challenge for players like me finding the random battles a bit old recently. 

Would take a Bismarck and just secondary the crap out of everything. 

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

They could be included as low tiers, 2-3 I guess. Generally they had sided armaments which limits their broadside potential but so do many of the current lower tiers. Main armament calibre tended to be in the 6" range. Speed would be their biggest drawback. Maybe they get a camo boost as a nod to their "wolf in sheep's clothing" role.

Dan

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

They should make a 'sink as many merchant cruisers as you can with time limit' challenge for players like me finding the random battles a bit old recently. 

Would take a Bismarck and just secondary the crap out of everything. 

Have a breakthough to the amphibious fleet mission.

Dan

18 posts
188 battles

They could be included as low tiers, 2-3 I guess. Generally they had sided armaments which limits their broadside potential but so do many of the current lower tiers. Main armament calibre tended to be in the 6" range. Speed would be their biggest drawback. Maybe they get a camo boost as a nod to their "wolf in sheep's clothing" role.

Dan

That's generally what I was thinking. There'd be a T2 version modeled as a semi-generic single funneled cargo ship (along these lines) with a couple of light guns fore and aft, sort of thing.

Then the T3 would be more on the lines of a twin-stack ocean liner, like RMS Carmania or SS Cap Trafalgar, carrying multiple cruiser grade guns.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Better idea..... Make them troop transports, AI controlled, travel down opposite sides of the map eventually coming together in the same central cap zone - each team gets an equal number, you have to defend your own while attacking the other groups ships. Losing a troop ship is akin to losing a cap zone - if one team gets too far ahead, they win!

Now, when on a losing side, you can have heroic charges to intercept troop ships like the two british battleships that got nailed of Singapore did, or ABDACOM in Java sea! (i imagine the worst circumstances this game can throw at you will be a walk in the park compared to what those guys faced in real life)

Edited by Sy_dn_ey

Sign in to follow this