Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
THAI_THIEF

Nobody talk about HE shell can citadel?

33 comments in this topic

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

Well I am sure that it's not fortuitous (Honestly you could citadel with HE shell) to penetrate citadel by using HE shells 
It's happen when I played Cleveland citadel RJ soon after I played GK and shoot the HE shell on British CL since PT 0.5.15
And last week I played Gneisenau and citadel some CA by HE shell again 

There I'm not lying 

4qjMZLw.jpg

I shot Emerald don't misunderstand that I use AP (I shoot HE then swap to AP)

wHVkW9a.jpg

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

Did you think that I use AP and swap to HE right? Honestly HE shell must could citadel on BB only until you believe?:amazed:

Edited by THAI_THIEF

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

no, you should have switched to AP, HEis not worthwhile in A BB unless you are being YOLO rushed by a DD or if there is a bow on BB that you cant overmatch(read. yamato) and is slow to move around. then you load your salt and pepper sprinkler and watch the world burn

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

no, you should have switched to AP, HEis not worthwhile in A BB unless you are being YOLO rushed by a DD or if there is a bow on BB that you cant overmatch(read. yamato) and is slow to move around. then you load your salt and pepper sprinkler and watch the world burn

Aw huh some situation I was passed by DD then use gasoline and lighter for self-protect 

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

How long have you been playing WoWs and now you just know this?

1 year and 3 months and I knew before the 0.5.14 but still doubt that was a luck
Edited by THAI_THIEF

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

Yup you can citadel a ship using HE i once Citadel caledon use Isokaze He and Emerald using Haruna He

Sorry I'm blinded (too many mod on my eyes)

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

If the armor is paper enough

even Kamikaze HE, can Citadel paper thin ship - like langley or hosho

not to mention German BB HE shell have higher penetration than other line

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

If the armor is paper enough

even Kamikaze HE, can Citadel paper thin ship - like langley or hosho

not to mention German BB HE shell have higher penetration than other line

Why don't u ask for RJ? I have slice it in half *chop* *chop* *chop*

1,386 posts
8,230 battles

You can citadel some ships with HE.

The conditions are

1.The target has citadel exposed, which means there are part of the exterior armor that DIRECTLY protects the citadel. For example, you can check Montana's and Iowa's armor scheme, you will notice Montana has a armor belt 409mm(IIRC) at the side of the ship directly protecting the citadel, but Iowa's citadel belt is inside the hull.

2.The armor can be penetrated by your HE. Currently HE shells have fixed penetration, which means the HE can penetrate a fixed thickness of armor regardless of range and angle of impact. You can check out the value of HE penetration for each ship here. https://gamemodels3d.com/

Go to the page of the ship you want to check out, like this one. https://gamemodels3d.com/worldofwarships/vehicles/pjsd504

You can see the menu with "General" selected, change it to Main Battery or Secondary Armament (depending on which gun you want to check out), and select the HE shell, on the pop-up content, you can see an "Alpha piercing HE", that's the penetration capability of this HE shell.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

What others wrote, lightly armored ships like CVs and UKCLs are very easy to citadel.

It's more of a gimmick than anything else though since AP does more damage to everything, including CVs and DDs.

Though it is to be said that HE on a CV is useful to set it on fire and stop it from launching more aircraft and if you're not confident

in your aiming then HE is the better choice than AP against DDs.

Also, @50s

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

wait, you haven't tried scoring HE citadel on CV before?:ohmy:

actually i'm a bit surprise to see RN CL get citadel by HE. it only show's how thin their armor are, but i wonder if its easier to score Citadel using HE against them?, as HE don't do Over pen like AP.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I havent tried vs high tier RNCL but up to T5, HE does citadel RNCL broadside on or even slightly angled. Danae and Emeralds will melt if they dont WASD effectively.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Well no one is going after citadels with HE, they are looking to start fires, so you aim a bit differently and further reduce the chance of citadels.

Interestingly, i was getting a few citadels with HE when i first started playing, as my aim improved, now i get none, but i do get plenty of fires which is what i am looking for.

I have tried AP at various times, and had many opportunities to pound citadels according to all the advice, but got none... one time in my Molotov, (using AP) i repeatedly pounded the citadels on a cruiser engaged with someone else,  i was in close, the shots were spot on, no citadels, useless, so i torped it and moved on. So i mainly only use HE now.

218 posts
3,788 battles

I tried using HE the entire battle with my New Mexico. I got 3 kills and around 80K damage, almost half of it from fires.

49 posts
6,861 battles

High-Explosive

These shells have an instant fuze, and burst immediately upon hitting a target. HE shells, like AP shells, do 1/3 of the max damage that is displayed in-port upon penetration, and full HE damage is awarded for citadel penetrations. Non-penetrating hits deal no damage. Although they have a certain armor penetration capability, equal to about 1/6 of shell's diameter, one shouldn't try to penetrate heavy armor with these shells. Naturally, hitting citadels of certain lightly armored cruisers and carriers with HE is fair game. Instead, HE shells are best used for knocking out modules, such as anti-aircraft emplacements, and starting fires, which can deal a large amount of damage over time.

Source : http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#High-Explosive

Sign in to follow this