You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Retia

The WG Money Trap

21 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I found this on Reddit and it's something certainly worth re-posting, heck if I were a mod I'd sticky it.

Just a heads up, this is not a rant against WG or about WoWS being bad.

Rather a warning as to how easy it is to get too investet in this game and how that happened to me and i had to pull the breaks.

As i can imagine this can be the case for others.

About me i am a normal 30's adult with a regular job and wife and kids.

My relation with WG started with WoT.

And it was also one of the first games i played where an optional monthly membership gave you extra bonusses with more xp and credits.

Comming from other games like EVE and WOW, i did not think much of it.

It was priced the same and i naturaly took it.

And so i have ran a premium account since then, only disrupted when i took breaks or if i was on hollidays.

Had good fun playing with family members and my wife played too (yes she was good and got multiple T10's ;) )

All fine there.

However things slowly started to change.

At first my relation to boubloons.

Because i bought premium with doubloons i soon saw that if i pay for two months at a time i got 5500 doubloons instead of 2x2500.

And those 500D i could use to skip modules/tanks etc.

Then during a birthday i was givven some of the 10 euro tanks.

Just T4's but i enjoyed them quite a bit.

I could use the xp to train the crew faster or have it as normal xp.

First i trained the crews.

But of course i knew that i could turn off thet crew training, like in elited tanks, to get xp, to use those 500doubloons on.

Because het those high tiers or new lines did look very nice, or man that stock gun on many tanks was awefull.

After a year or two i started to buy 5500's not for 2 months but for 1 months and to have 3000D to use on converting xp and buy some premium cammo's.

Not often mind you, no where near a habbit.

Then it came to where i purchased my first own premium tank, the Super Pershing, just really liking it (well after the nerf mind you).

My interest in WoT was slowy going away though.

Then came WoWS CBT.

And iirc we had free premium there but could buy gold for Warspite and Atago.

I had more interest in ships then tanks and as a citizen of the EU i had a lot of interest in the German and British ships as those were most active here.

And i ended up buying the Warspite. After the reset and all was refunded i got the Atago instead as well as the Yubari after buying myself in the CBT.

And in WoWS my spending habbits started to change more and more.

Buying the Warspite, Scharnhorst, selling the Atago and buying it again after a 6 or so months break.

It slowly broke down barriers as to what was normal to spend on a single game beside premium.

Having tons of convertable xp because... well, you don't have crewtraining in WoWS it is pretty much laughing at me every time i see it.

And I ended up buying doubloons multiple times to convert xp.

Topping with the German lines and Fuso and up.

Even a gaming buddy told me i was crazy and I gues he was right.

I had been baited and trapped into an ever increasing spending circle.

Even though i could afford it I spend a lot more then i would have on any other game.

Funny considering how frustrating the game can be with RNG and such.

And the way how you first buy for a premium ship and then get tempted to spend more cash to use that exp, makes it easy for some people, like me to blow cash on that,

specialy when the bar has been lowered slowly over time.

As well as having less time, due to family or other games it's more tempting to invest more as well.

And the money spend per hour played is creeping to too high levels.

Now though i came to a point for me where for me, enough is enough.

I am all for supporting games, but when running premium and the benefits of it allmost become invisible when you spend even more and convert and buy ships

and convert even more it becomes a money pit, yelling "Feed Me!"

I will not stop playing, as i enjoy the game, but tomorrow my premium time will run out, and this time i won't renew it.

Neither will i buy the Graf Spee like i intended, and not any Premium ship that might follow for some time to come.

Will i spend again? I maybe will at some point, but for now, i am done spending and overspending.

This was just my story.

And i hope it can help others to not make the mistake i made.

Where normal spending and supporting a game ends up in overspending and investing more then you'd like trough a smart design that can bait some.

For me it did not turn into an issue, but almost did.

But i can imagine that people can get lured into spending in a way that it has major economical effects irl.

I am not just placing the blame on WG for my spending.

I am a grown man and i am responsible myself.

That said i am not entirely happy this is possible either.

But WoWS is not alone in that.

Many games offer extras, like season passes, loot crates with random drops, weapon skins, special-mounts, unique-vehicles, etc.
Normaly i am not tempted, but Wot and WoWS managed to lower my spending guard and it bit me in the end.

And if you can, sure use your money on games, and other hobbies.

It's importand to support the games and hobbies you enjoy Just be carefull to not get trapped and sucked inn without really realising it.

Thanks for reading this.

I hope it helped some.

Source

I'll just add to the end of this a part of what I wrote in response in that Reddit thread.

On a side note, not directed at the OP but to the general public:

Family, friends, girlfriends or wives aren't really there to keep you in check when it comes to spending too much money on your hobbies,

they're more like the final warning light that should make it clear to you that something's wrong. ;)

Seriously, whenever someone, perhaps only jokingly, mentions how much time, money or effort you spend on something, not just videogames,

check it out for yourself.

Distance yourself a bit and review what you've done for it.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

it's a good thing i was F2P player :P ,( i only ever buy Kamikaze :P )

my Kamikaze is a free one :P

Seriously, whenever someone, perhaps only jokingly, mentions how much time, money or effort you spend on something, not just videogames,

thanks for sharing this

440 posts
3,379 battles

THIS, love this game but not gonna be a shopaholic (or should i say, War-shi(o)paholic, get it?)

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Ah.......

story of uncontrolled spending on F2P games. 

Remind me of an old guildmates that spend enough money to buy 2 SUV on MMO

IMO, though this game lack peer presure that sometimes the trigger of uncontroled spending

563 posts
4,686 battles

Never used premium time unless it's a reward. The only premium ship that I have is the Scharnhorst, and maybe if they ever release it, the enterprise. I bought it only because :

1. I need it 

2. I love the ship in real life

3. I love this game and I think the Dev deserves a reward from me

[BMRSF]
373 posts
2,517 battles

and maybe if they ever release it, the enterprise. I bought it only because :

2. I love the ship in real life

me too, the best carrier in WW2, and the only carrier that active in the pacific that went from the beginning to the end of WW2 in pacific. I still remember the crew of Enterprise once said "Enterprise vs Japan"

Super Tester
7,546 posts
7,993 battles

Well, same as me. I kinda spent a good amount already on this game. This didn't happen in one day. So after getting the 15th premium ship, each of which costs almost the same as a full game, I realized it's time to stop.

People can easily be lured into spending money in these types of games after all. The historic appeals of great warships, targeted to a more mature audiences, it's a seller.

So, I thought I'll put my end marker here as well. I think I spent more than enough. I also don't blame anyone but myself, the company has make money after all.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,645 battles

Being an old guy (tight with his wallet) I used a simple rule. If I like the free to play game enough to keep playing it then I pretend it is a pc game I am buying from a shop (which cost about $100) and that is my budget for the year.

Only ever used premium time (from leftover WoT loot) when I have time to grind a line.

working so far. :great:

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Ah bugger, sounds like me! But i like collecting. Wont even mention the pixel space ships from RSI that i have!

105 posts
13,284 battles

Well I think WG wont loosed a player, because WG balanced it with a gift and etc, like this morning got 3000 doubloon for free from supercontainer...thank you WG.

Edited by Exit_Battle

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

Been there done that.

Have the Type 59, KV5, E25, JPz2, Fury, M4e2, SU100Y etc etc , More gold consumables than you can poke a stick at, Years of premium time to prove it.

Flipped out after tanks and hated everything that WG stood for then tried WOWS Alpha.  Still had 12 months of prem to use so what the hell.  Got a Gremy and some doubloons back then.   I have never spent another cent and doubt I ever will again.  I am content to sit in T6-7-8 territory.   I have prem ships.  I get thrown free ships (even if they are puke fluro arp ships).   You don't need to spend anything, but Im grateful that there are thousands of people with little or no self control when it comes to buying stuff in this game.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Been there done that.

Have the Type 59, KV5, E25, JPz2, Fury, M4e2, SU100Y etc etc , More gold consumables than you can poke a stick at, Years of premium time to prove it.

Flipped out after tanks and hated everything that WG stood for then tried WOWS Alpha.  Still had 12 months of prem to use so what the hell.  Got a Gremy and some doubloons back then.   I have never spent another cent and doubt I ever will again.  I am content to sit in T6-7-8 territory.   I have prem ships.  I get thrown free ships (even if they are puke fluro arp ships).   You don't need to spend anything, but Im grateful that there are thousands of people with little or no self control when it comes to buying stuff in this game.

Don't worry about it,if they can throw away a money makers like the Spee in a mission giveaway they obviously have plenty of money!

218 posts
3,790 battles

I bought 1000 gold in WOT to reward WG for their effort to developed such a fantastic F2P game and also so I can dismount complex equipment and transfer it to another tank. Still have around 500 gold left after I went on a camos and emblems shopping spree. I almost buy a Lowe as well, but then decided to save the money at the last minute. In WOWS, I've been considering buying Atlanta, but then Indianapolis came and I bought it without second thought. I'm currently waiting for them to come up with a premium tier 7+ USN or IJN BB. Aside from WG games, I also spend money on some other F2P games like Clash of Clans.

IMO, it's ok to spend some money on F2P games that you consider good. Just think of it as your contribution to keep the development machinery rolling. If you have money to spare why not? As long as you don't borrow from a loan shark or deprive yourself and your family from a needed money, go on and buy. I've seen people who chastise others for spending money on games, but then, they themselves spend a small fortune on a magnetic bracelet or a scalar energy pendant or an aura sticker.

Beta Tester
753 posts
657 battles

umn so I'm an addict then?

:hmm:

365 days premium

EVERY available for purchase premium ship .....

Yeah nearly fell for that trap with ships. I then Made a rule. I'd only get ships if they're history interests me. That hasn't stopped me so far. :nerv_fish:

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

umn so I'm an addict then?

:hmm:

365 days premium

EVERY available for purchase premium ship .....

I'm happy that people buy stuff.  It keeps  the game free for the rest of us that don't want to spend money on it.