You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
9mm1n

A theory on how to aim with the dynamic crosshair

33 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
436 posts
3,943 battles

! The method illustrated in this thread applies only to the in game dynamic crosshair. For shooting with static crosshairs, read this instead

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

TLDR :

Aim your reticle at the point (not bow) where

[TargetShipSpeed / 20   ] * ShellFlightTime or

[TargetShipSpeed / 21.6] * ShellFlightTime

TargetShipSpeed measured in knots.

ShellFlightTime can be found on your reticle

for explaination:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

the Dynamic Crosshair is calibrated to 21.6 knots by point, that is, the relation between battle elements targetShipSpeed and Shell Flying time can be represented by

Reticle Marker = (TargetShipSpeed / 21.6) * ShellFlightTime

However, dividing Ship speed by 21.6 is not very feasible as it will involve too many decimal points. Using

Reticle Marker = (ShipSpeed / 20) * ShellFlightTime

is hence ostensible in practical use. Although calibrating the reticle to 20 knots less accurate compared to using 21.6 knots while being more manageable in battle (error is about 6% which is a ok compromise).

For example, when firing at a full speed Kongo, which travels at 30 knots, the multiplier you need to multiply you ShellFlightTime by is (30/20) = 1.5. Your shellFlightTime*Multiplier would return you where to lead your reticle at.

A chart of  multipliers can be found here, the values found on the Column G Multiplier(DynamicPoint) of the spreadsheet denotes the multiplier to be multiplied to the Shell Travelling Time.

However, as a rule of thumb,

Reticle Marker = Mutiplier * ShellFlightTime

The above equation is modeled on the same principle illustrated in my previous post Correlation between ship travelling speed, shell flight time and leading of shots.  .

Edited by 9mm1n

[BOTES]
436 posts
3,943 battles

Guys, it's just ax+b, where a is a given value, and b is 0.

Surely it isn't that difficult, right? This is early high school stuff.

well put

Sounds complicated. I think I'll just eyeball it.

fyi, a brief rule of thumb of which ship get which multiplier (a) is available at the very end of the original post

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

"What is a linear equation?"

Surely you did your HSCs?

A linear equation is ax + b. However you have set your y intercept to 0 so the simplified equation is ax. FYI, you try to keep the simplest equation for your answer in mathematics unless specifically asked for (in which this isn't the case for this equation).

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

A linear equation is ax + b. However you have set your y intercept to 0 so the simplified equation is ax. FYI, you try to keep the simplest equation for your answer in mathematics unless specifically asked for (in which this isn't the case for this equation).

You just did a 360 on your own point though. You keep the simplest equation for a maths answer, and I wasn't giving a maths answer. I was giving the generic form of a linear line on the Cartesian plane, which is ax+b.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Not really realistic to use an equation to calculate lead angle, tbh. It ain't exactly rocket science, and unless you can do rapid mental calculations every time, it's probably faster to just eyeball it and correct accordingly.

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

You just did a 360 on your own point though. You keep the simplest equation for a maths answer, and I wasn't giving a maths answer. I was giving the generic form of a linear line on the Cartesian plane, which is ax+b.

Your original point of using the linear equation to simulate the calculations of OP is wrong. Instead, I suggest you use the matrix equation where ax=b. This fits completely into OP's trigonometry where we calculate precisely where to shoot the shells. a represents multiplier who's value is given and b for shellflighttime which is a constant value. The multiplication of these two values allows the precise distance to position your turrets to set an accurate projectory to hit the enemy.
Edited by LunaticRed

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Your original point of using the linear equation to simulate the calculations of OP is wrong. Instead, I suggest you use the matrix equation where ax=b. This fits completely into OP's trigonometry where we calculate precisely where to shoot the shells. a represents multiplier who's value is given and shellflighttime which is a constant value. The multiplication of these two values allows the precise distance to position your turrets to set an accurate projectory to hit the enemy.

I'm BTFO right now

496 posts
4,163 battles

instinct guides my shot

i tried to calculate like literally...*FIRE* .....................

oh wait... IT missed... so...f.....far.....away ._. okay lets just have my instinct guide my shots....

[BOTES]
436 posts
3,943 battles

instinct guides my shot

i tried to calculate like literally...*FIRE* .....................

oh wait... IT missed... so...f.....far.....away ._. okay lets just have my instinct guide my shots....

Please do tell how much it missed

[BOTES]
436 posts
3,943 battles

about 2-3 km behind target, target range is about 18km

Are you using figures from the spreadsheet? Perhaps you've accidentally used the multipliers for the static crosshair(Column F). The multipliers for dynamic crosshair is listed on the G column

450 posts
7,896 battles

You dont need a firing computer next to your computer after you played 1000+ games. Just eye ball it. Even you can't get a citadel hit, you can still land the shot on enemy ships and deal some damage.