Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dieselhead

Colorado

26 comments in this topic

348 posts
7,089 battles

This ship seems like a worse ship than the New Mexico before it! Seems really underpowered in every aspect for a higher teir ship than the NM or is it just me??

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Colorado's slightly tougher to play than New Mex - you trade off your 14" shotguns for 16" sledgehammers. Which means your aim/aim prediction has to be a lot more on point and RNG can usually mess you up a bit more. That being said, it still plays pretty much like a NM, so if you do what you usually did in NM, you shouldn't be facing any major issues.

Super Tester
234 posts
5,881 battles

This ship seems like a worse ship than the New Mexico before it! Seems really underpowered in every aspect for a higher teir ship than the NM or is it just me??

Well the stock Colorado is actually worse than NM. But, if you upgrade it, use the aa module, it will actually be better ship than the other t7. It has this great heal which will make you feel pretty tanky. The gun pens almost everything, however the dispersion will make you feel NM was better. But, fight at range of 13/14km, you can pretty much wreck any t7/8. As one of my friend said, Colorado in fact is better than NC because of the great heal it has 

381 posts
9,957 battles

Well the stock Colorado is actually worse than NM. But, if you upgrade it, use the aa module, it will actually be better ship than the other t7. It has this great heal which will make you feel pretty tanky. The gun pens almost everything, however the dispersion will make you feel NM was better. But, fight at range of 13/14km, you can pretty much wreck any t7/8. As one of my friend said, Colorado in fact is better than NC because of the great heal it has 

The heal is actually not that much effective unless all of your damage comes from fire/flood. It only heals 5hp/s more than Nagato and same amount as NC. If you suffer normal penetration a lot then the lower HP of Colorado is a very noticable disadvantage compared to Nagato. The tankiness of Colorado is mostly due to the fact that it's extremely difficult to get citadel'd.
Edited by LunaStinger

268 posts
6,381 battles

It hits like a truck though. Stock it is really painful, but once you get the B hull and propulsion its workable.

Stock range is decent too.

348 posts
7,089 battles

Tbh I did feel a bit let down when i got the NM as well until i got the upgrades. Ive noticed it does hit hard though when i can actually get it to hit anything..haha

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,614 battles

Tbh I did feel a bit let down when i got the NM as well until i got the upgrades. Ive noticed it does hit hard though when i can actually get it to hit anything..haha

then you have to make your shots count haha

be cool and calm take some hits then bam you land salvo of cit and see them scrambling away then you can laugh hard

it's slow and a easy meat but colorado teach you to play smart like choose your target well and plan ahead

348 posts
7,089 battles

then you have to make your shots count haha

be cool and calm take some hits then bam you land salvo of cit and see them scrambling away then you can laugh hard

it's slow and a easy meat but colorado teach you to play smart like choose your target well and plan ahead

Yeah its just a matter of getting used to it I guess. Its a work in progress :)

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

tbh colorado Guns are more accurate than new mex because she has higher sigma value. as long as you know how to properly aim she will give you with great dispersion. her shell are also heavier so it can lolpen angled non non USN cruiser (pepsicola not included)

40 posts
2,588 battles

tbh colorado Guns are more accurate than new mex because she has higher sigma value. as long as you know how to properly aim she will give you with great dispersion. her shell are also heavier so it can lolpen angled non non USN cruiser (pepsicola not included)

The sigma value isn't that helpful to be honest.  All it tells you is how much the dispersion centers on its elipse, doesn't tell you how big the elipse is.  Ingame it doesn't even tell you the vertical distribution, but my feel is the actual number is very large.

I find it frustrating to shoot at cruisers, because cruisers are narrower than they are high, having slower shells reduces their effective target size (the more you fall on the target the smaller it is), and the slower shells require more lead, so much so that most of the shots are off the deflection scale altogether at typical battle ranges.   The ship is far too slow to let you choose engagement range, so you have no choice but deal with the ui being suboptimal for it, but when the cruiser gets closer, it overpenetrates broadside, misses end on or bounces inbetween as the cruiser zigzags closer.   Unless its a brit cruiser because those might as well have the citadel on the outside.

The ship does work for me, and I enjoy it, but I generally forget that it requires so much unique handling when I get in it, and then it takes a few losses to remind me what I have to do to compensate for its shortcomings.

Edited by AdmiralJasonB

346 posts

Colorado is awesome hull B up

Stock was horrid, when I played Colrado as stock my win rate for colorado alone was as low as 38%

Recently I bought hull B and my win rate (not recent win rate and again for colorado alone) went up to 56%

I don't have hull C yet so I can't say anything.

In your eyes

Aoba, Fuso, Nagato are floating free citadels

Gnseaiseu (I know I spelt it wrong) is AA job Theif

Bismarck and Tiripitz = lots of standards pens

Cleveland and Atlanta = RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 posts
4,185 battles

I found the Colorado to be very frustrating after the New Mexico. The upgrades definitely help with the Colorado but I never achieved the same stats as the NM. Possibly didn't give it enough time. Playing against higher tiers doesn't help either. I eventually gave up and went to the German line of BBs and enjoyed these much more. The Bayern was a consistent brick, especially in Ranked. The Gneisenau is great to play as long as you don't over extend and get burnt - literally. The Bismarck is a bit more of a challenge and am looking forward to my captain earning his last point to get the secondary control. Playing against a Colorado certainly doesn't scare me while in the Gneisenau. The worst thing a Colorado captain can do is let me close the distance while angled and then finish with secondaries and torps.

Edited by Black_Prince_NZ

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Colorado already have it easier nowadays, back in cbt when CV count was high colorado has more bad time and there are up to 4cv per game. if they knew that you are stock colorado, your lives will be very short.

there's those long lance IJN torpedo too with more stealth.

980 posts
12,617 battles

Im consistently getting some good games out of the Colorado, now that I've gotten used to the ship :)

Someone posted these helpful tips in the other Colorado rant earlier this month:

1. Avoid going to the edge of the map

2. Always angle

3. Remember that your guns are very powerful (use AP)

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,614 battles

y'day sailing this slow barge, 1st salvo cit and take 20K off a myoko then casually take another 12K off bismarck

mogami burned me till charcoal black but all i can think is the guns on it its so awesome

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,416 battles

ahwai82, on 18 December 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

y'day sailing this slow barge, 1st salvo cit and take 20K off a myoko then casually take another 12K off bismarck

mogami burned me till charcoal black but all i can think is the guns on it its so awesome

[LBAS]
4,485 posts
25,665 battles

Im consistently getting some good games out of the Colorado, now that I've gotten used to the ship :)

Someone posted these helpful tips in the other Colorado rant earlier this month:

1. Avoid going to the edge of the map

2. Always angle

3. Remember that your guns are very powerful (use AP)

just like Pepsi always move always turn

[LBAS]
4,485 posts
25,665 battles

I remember my first match with Colorado (Hull A with 2 module slot 1 slot 2 and no more) is 4 kills (2CA 2BB) 4 cities

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,614 battles

I remember my first match with Colorado (Hull A with 2 module slot 1 slot 2 and no more) is 4 kills (2CA 2BB) 4 cities

i go thru hull A even with capt on retraining but find it not difficult to play at all, just a matter of getting used to it

also i don't kill much ship with it but the cit is just satisfying, annoying cruiser keep bugging me a salvo of 20K is enough to make them run while i have a grin lol

980 posts
12,617 battles

just like Pepsi always move always turn

I actually disagree. With Pepsi cola you always turn because that is your only defence. 

On the Colorado, never turn, just angle against enemies and slow to 1/4 speed - and defensively you can soak up so many more hits. Exposing the side of the slow turning Colorado to enemy nagatos, coloradoes or north Carolinas is a death sentence

[LBAS]
4,485 posts
25,665 battles

I actually disagree. With Pepsi cola you always turn because that is your only defence. 

On the Colorado, never turn, just angle against enemies and slow to 1/4 speed - and defensively you can soak up so many more hits. Exposing the side of the slow turning Colorado to enemy nagatos, coloradoes or north Carolinas is a death sentence

nah, Colorado turn to tank the shells

Sign in to follow this