Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Turing

Help with Mahan

27 comments in this topic

563 posts
4,686 battles

The only good thing about this ship when stock is the smoke. Short range, big, bad concealment, heavy to steer, Farragut HP but face fletchers. How to play this ship? I'm having abysmal results. Probably this is not my lucky day, and my captain is also retraining, sooo no last stand.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

The only good thing about this ship when stock is the smoke. Short range, big, bad concealment, heavy to steer, Farragut HP but face fletchers. How to play this ship? I'm having abysmal results. Probably this is not my lucky day, and my captain is also retraining, sooo no last stand.

i hate this ship!

end of story.

381 posts
9,957 battles

I also struggled hard with this ship. You have worse detection than any other DD in your MM range except t7-9 Russian so it hurts a lot in terms of taking objectives. I tried hiding in islands near caps, wait for enemy DD to get in first then move in hoping for a good trade but it only worked in some narrow maps against bad enemy teams. At least the Benson is awesome.

38 posts
2,897 battles

I used to do terribly with the Mahan but once I adjusted my play style to rely more on her guns instead of torps I came to really like the ship. Some of the things I did was:

1/ Stay 2 or 3km behind a friendly DD to help him contest cap. Due to her bad concealment I try not to be the first one in cap since I will likely be out-spotted by other DDs. However, her firepower is still really good so I opt to be the 2nd guy to enter the cap instead.

2/ Use premium smoke and abuse the hell out of it. Seriously, US smoke is OP. With premium smoke you have 1 additional charge and the cooldown between smoke is like 30-40s?

3/ Play around islands. Islands serve as an ambush spot and retreat cover so they are awesome.

4/ Perk wise for 4pts perk please take Survivability Expert. The extra HP really helps.

Hope this helps :D

Edited by Insomnium

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

ask Xscore, he has higher avrge damage on the damn mahan then my nagato

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

All I know from fighting countless mahans in blyska, sims and kiev, one hell of a tanky DD. And if you have SE on the captain, it can cqc with 2 DD at once.

About concealment, all T7 DDs are big middle finger to concealment meta.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

All I know from fighting countless mahans in blyska, sims and kiev, one hell of a tanky DD. And if you have SE on the captain, it can cqc with 2 DD at once.

About concealment, all T7 DDs are big middle finger to concealment meta.

lenningrad, belfast

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

The trick to USN DDs:
Smoke camping in good locations, farm damage, kill ships, crowd control.
I know this may not work for many other players, but the thing about USN DD is positioning, islands are literally your brutha, its life or death, victory or defeat.
As you play more USN DDs, you will slowly gain experience how to sneak around with islands, and advance (even while spotted) while taking no cruiser fire.

My build involves, in order: BFT, LS, V, SE, CE, TAE

Basically for Mahan, you have great guns, decent torps, decent maneuverability, and excellent smoke.
When you push for caps, position yourself well such that cover is available and you have a quick pullout plan.
If you manage to kill weeb botes, hijack their smoke, farm their nakama.

600px-Two_Brothers.png

Two brothers east spawn on south, my favourite spawn in USN DD.

Ideally, you would want to be in smoke 6-8km from the enemy, and angled such that you are not presenting a large target (Blind firing is a thing, but not that common in T7).  Also run propulsion mod cos Torpedobeat.  Beware of enemy ship locations, and stay away from sonar and radar ships.  Use torpedoes liberally, you have 3x4 launchers.  

so basically, wolfpack with DD, push in, get into troll smoke position, farm.  
Troll smoke position basically means a mixture of blocking LoS to your team, blocking torps, and cover to pullout with.
Every smoke nets 30k+ damage.  Don't take Superintendent, take Vigilance.  If you need more than 3 smokes in a random game you have too much starchy tubers to carry and are definitely better off without your team.

600px-Two_Brothers.png

Edited by xscore

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

The bad concealment , low top speed is compensated for your rather large HP pool by dd standard. Mahan is the 1st ship in the US dd line to be able to stealth torp and continue the tradition of being a rapid submachine gunner. As other have said abuse smoke to be aggressive and push other dd out of the cap. If you get detected , pop smoke near cap and lure the other dd to fire you so you can gun them down. Vigilance is recommended as you will rely alot on WASD hack to combat other dd. If IJN dd miss their torp below 7km they are dead .

The only thing Mahan has to be wary is not to chase a retreating USSR dd.

Oh , and Mahan might be a gunboat but you dont actively gun anyone down , you only gun them when they are not looking at you or cannot shoot you . Crest an island lob shells on the sorry lot that get 11km near it , no other dd can annoy enemy the same way a Mahan can on tier 7

38 posts
2,897 battles

The bad concealment , low top speed is compensated for your rather large HP pool by dd standard. Mahan is the 1st ship in the US dd line to be able to stealth torp and continue the tradition of being a rapid submachine gunner. As other have said abuse smoke to be aggressive and push other dd out of the cap. If you get detected , pop smoke near cap and lure the other dd to fire you so you can gun them down. Vigilance is recommended as you will rely alot on WASD hack to combat other dd. If IJN dd miss their torp below 7km they are dead .

The only thing Mahan has to be wary is not to chase a retreating USSR dd.

Oh , and Mahan might be a gunboat but you dont actively gun anyone down , you only gun them when they are not looking at you or cannot shoot you . Crest an island lob shells on the sorry lot that get 11km near it , no other dd can annoy enemy the same way a Mahan can on tier 7

You are just inviting their DD to torp your smoke like this imo, not recommend

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

You are just inviting their DD to torp your smoke like this imo, not recommend

Depends on enemy DD, but of course this is assuming you are actually maneuvering in smoke to point bow/stern to possible direction of enemy torps.  USN DDs have excellent torpedo detection ranges (like 1.4km and below) hence you may want to bail out cos torpedoes.  IJN torps are a joke, so Vigilance and propulsion mod means you should torpedobeat rather easily if you are already pointing towards or away from potential torps.

Smoke camping is an extremely potent strategy for USN DDs.

Basically USN DDs have 4 main damage dealing means

-Knife fight

-Torps

-Kemp smok

-Stealth fire

With Mahan you can only stealth fire at like 10.7km with CE, and smoking usually does so much damage anyways.  But always remember objectives first.

38 posts
2,897 battles

Depends on enemy DD, but of course this is assuming you are actually maneuvering in smoke to point bow/stern to possible direction of enemy torps.  USN DDs have excellent torpedo detection ranges (like 1.4km and below) hence you may want to bail out cos torpedoes.  IJN torps are a joke, so Vigilance and propulsion mod means you should torpedobeat rather easily if you are already pointing towards or away from potential torps.

Smoke camping is an extremely potent strategy for USN DDs.

-Knife fight

-Torps

-Kemp smok

-Stealth fire

With Mahan you can only stealth fire at like 10.7km with CE, and smoking usually does so much damage anyways.  But always remember objectives first.

Of course I get what you mean with smoke camping as I depend on my smoke alot to do dmg also. I was replying to legionary as I disagreed with his suggestion of smoking as soon as you are detected as it will just invite torps to be deployed at you from my experience.

412 posts
9,247 battles

I instantly sold Mahan after I finished the grind, mainly to git credits to buy Benson, also because I have the Sims ._.

But IMO, Mahan is a fun boat. Although crappy detection range, it still has USN smok, best DD gun of her tier, and better more useful torpedoes than the IJN. My point with the Mahan:

1. You pewpew enemy torpedoboat who doesn't know what is gunboating and grab her leftover smok
  2. You hug islands like your top tier waifu,
  3. Spam HE to skrubs behind island with your magical rainbow guns
  4. You use your 9,2km skills to scan enemy smokescreen, or 360noscope sailing-straight BBs,
  5. Don't forget to bait turning skrubs, so he/she/it can go back to their original direction to git skilled
  6. You punish whining BBs who only kemp and snipe with your OP guns (super effective with DE+Witherer Flag or just Witherer Flag only)
  7. You punish broadsiding CA/CLs who stand right next to you under 5km with AP and see some magical things to happen
  8. Alternatively, you can do torpedoboating too with CE, although Fletcher do it better :trollface:

-Knife fight
-Torps
-Kemp smok

-Stealth fire

For the captain build:

• Cheeky Build : BFT+LS+SI+DE+CE (15)+TAE
  • Manly Build : BFT+LS+Vig+SE+CE (15)+TAE

Its up to you to git whatever captain build you want, but I took the cheeky one because DE is fun :trollface:

To grind Mahan, first thing to do is research Hull B before anything else. Even though you have crappy range and utter potato torpedoes, it gives you more HP so you can't just be deleted in one dive by 301 Saipan DB. Another thing is, NEVER, buy Mahan Hull C, even though it has better AA, but you lose a single gun. Losing a single gun means you lost 1/5 of your firepower, and it has crappy DFAA too (Sims have better DFAA than Mahan).

Ah yeah, things to take a note. You have to rely on your team, do wolfpacking to confuse and scare-off enemies. If you're alone, stick with at least 2 CA/CLs. If you feel salty about potato teammates, go with a division, at least you can coordinate better.

Y7Ya6hS.jpgOSjO88r.jpgO24m80H.jpg

It's not the OPest DD in the tier, yet it still can do good things, even with the current MM.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Just chase after IJN DD and watch them retreat like the French

Light Kievs up and let ships like noobtago and Myoko pick them off

Do not hesitate to use torpedoes, the longer you unnecessarily wait to use torpedoes, the lower the damage potential

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I struggled a lot moving to the Mahan as well. I only did it recently too, and I didnt want to waste free XP to grind past her, i stuck out and learned to play her well enough.

Its very different from the Faragut and Nicholas, both which are great gunboats for their tier. The Mahans weakness's have been stated numerous times.

First off take the 9.2 km torps when you can.

I tend to play her as a support DD, making sure i have Cruiser support for enemy DDs. When spotted, as long as its not five enemy ships behind the unknown DD i may charge in trying to spot them for the cruiser to take out. Otherwise its using islands to deflect damage, break LOS, etc.

The 9.2 km torps are great for hitting enemy DD smoke at range that think they are safe. You will struggle to yolo early, stick with the team, deal damage and mid to late game, she does shine as RoF with her damage take a toll as the enemy tends to focus on stronger opponents that are near you.

Capturing points can be done, just need awareness and a plan to get out of there quick.

Last tip, dont sit broadside in your smoke. Be angled to accelerate out, and use your consumable to do so when enemy torps are inbound.

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,306 battles

I own both Mahan and Sims, both are extremely fun ships to play but at the same time could be frustrating depending on the scenario of the game itself. Despite playing Sims more than Mahan, I occassionally played Mahan as well to revise or refresh USN DD playstyle. 

As per previous post mentioned, here are the difference between both of them:

Mahan
- Takes forever to move from one point to another (U r painfully slow at 35.4 knots)

- Large surface detection for a DD in your tier (7.9 KM, with camo only drops 0.2KM) 
- Struggles to hit any DD that is moving high speed at 8 KM and above due to your rainbow arcs

+ U r a gunboat that is designed specially to bully IJN DDs. Watch them run away in fear while u continue shooting them
+ The only USN DD that can launch 12 torpedoes and capable of torpedo-ing from stealth (9.2KM)

+ U can hit targets if they are parked behind an island, watch an Atlanta moves away from his safe spot while being shot is satisfying
+ Ur AP is decent, any ships that shows broadside can melt really quickly if they are not paying attention 

+ Large HP pool

Sims
- What on earth torpedoes is that? (I've seen myself a Sims hit 8 torpedoes on an Atlanta(full hp)full broadside and HE'S NOT DEAD YET?
- Ur firepower is weaker than Mahan despite faster RoF

+ Almost identical to Mahan, apart from Torpedoes, HP pool

+ Extremely manuverable

+ Fastest DD in the USN line 

Back to Mahan
She's the type of ship that virtually trains you on how to be patient, use terrain to your advantage and lob shells from behind islands, rocks etc. Those features will be the key skills while on your way to higher tier DD's (Benson, Fletcher). I considered it a bonus rather than a disadvantage to be spotted first because it gives you time to consider your next move and act appropriately. 

Sign in to follow this