Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BravaZulu296

How to colorado

16 comments in this topic

346 posts

Hey any tips as to how to use colorado

I know colorado is awesome in close combat but it's so slow it can't get close enough for close combat

I would rather them switch colorado and New mexico around or added Tennesse because new mex or tennesse is better due to more guns (or I am just regretting the fun I had with new mexico when duelling a colorado but then Nagatos and Fusos are mouth feeding me citadels so it's not all bad) but the thing is The only way to do well is to tank and close combat but the colorado is so slow it can't get to the fight at least with New mex and tennesse more guns make up for how long it takes to get to the fight

Edited by BravaZulu296

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

One of the best things about Colorado is the guns.

Those 16" guns are hard hitting, Cruiser deleting, BB wrecking, weapons of mass destruction.

She can also take a hell of a beating if you angle her properly.

Choose your engagement area early, and send 8 gun volleys of hurt into the enemy team.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Yes. USN tier 5-7 is an absolute pain in the ass if you're the lowest tier, and in a stock one. It's so bad I rage sold New York after getting 100% tier 7 matches and cruisers just kite at long range and burn the crap out of me. They ignore everybody else and come for the fat and slow floating pinata called USN Dreadnaughts, easy for statpadding your damage. Free exp your way to North Carolina or don't play USN BB tree at all.

Edited by Deicide

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Yes. USN tier 5-7 is an absolute pain in the ass if you're the lowest tier, and in a stock one. It's so bad I rage sold New York after getting 100% tier 7 matches and cruisers just kite at long range and burn the crap out of me. They ignore everybody else and come for the fat and slow floating pinata called USN Dreadnaughts, easy for statpadding your damage. Free exp your way to North Carolina or don't play USN BB tree at all.

You are missing out on so much fun :D. New York may be shite but New Mexico and Colorado were great. You may be slow, but good god do they shine in CQC

218 posts
3,788 battles

Just got mine today. Tested it in coop. I added artillery plotting modification upgrade which extend the dismal range of stock colorado to a reasonable 17.5km. But I found a quirk with the gun. It has a tendency to overshoot a long range broadside target, even when i place the reticle right at the waterline. I'm not sure if this is intentional design or a bug. My shot was always spot on when i aimed like that in the previous New Mexico.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Anyway, my tip for you is rush engine, then B hull then FCS and then C hull. Keep in mind though, this ship will not shine until the C hull.
When you have the C hull, make sure to install damage con upgrade 2, her rudder shift and turning circle radius is already good enough for most situations. You have to make sure that you are capable of dealing with fires, because cruisers, especially IJN CAs can just hold down Mouse 1 and burn you to death. 
Now that is all the preparation for battle done, what should you do in battle ?
Repeat after me
Stay central, Stay central, Stay central

You DO NOT take this ship to the edge of the map (to left and right flank is ok, but not right next to the map border), she is slow and will never make it back in time for the following battles. Instead, what I recommend to do is just to point your bow at the enemy ships and sail toward them. My recommended engagement range for this BB is <15km. Dispersion becomes great at <12km, she shines at <10km. Her guns spread becomes extremely tight between 8-4km and her guns utterly shits on anything at this range. Enemy cruisers, 15-20k damage when angled or just utterly wiped of the face of the Earth, enemy destroyers, gone ! Colorado can torpedo beat extremely well due to her tight turning circle. Enemy BBs, Non-German BB, critically damaged or gone as well! German BBs? Just kite away from German BBs and your guns literally shit on them at this range. When I am about 7km away from a German BB I deal an average of 20k damage to them, the Colorado guns are absolutely fantastic if you use them correctly. AA guns are fantastic for self defense as well, tier 7 CVs and below will struggle if they want to get within torpedoing or dive bombing range. 
In the end though, she does have her weakness which is her HP pool and slow speed. However, if you can get around these 2 main issues, then you are golden. 

Slap on India Delta signal mate, you can literally farm India Delta signals with the Colorado because of her amazing repair party 

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles

Anyway, my tip for you is rush engine, then B hull then FCS and then C hull. Keep in mind though, this ship will not shine until the C hull.

When you have the C hull, make sure to install damage con upgrade 2, her rudder shift and turning circle radius is already good enough for most situations. You have to make sure that you are capable of dealing with fires, because cruisers, especially IJN CAs can just hold down Mouse 1 and burn you to death. 

I think rushing B hull is much more important , getting engine dont make you fast enough to make a difference , and install artillery plotting mod will get rid of the low range problem . B hull makes you not a target for CV strike , give you some health and better shell ( ww2 refit) and reduce the rudder shift time to dodge fish. Since this ship is slow anyone make every effort to not die and try to snipe until you get into brawling range ( Colorado 16 inch are very powerful and reasonably accurate to pull of 20km shot against bb in transit ).

460 posts
8,310 battles

The Colorado can be exceptionally good. Personally I don't take the range extension (poor dispersion anyway, I instead opt for plane killing power) and have never had a problem getting close enough. I also like to take skills that reduce fire damage, such as those which reduce the burn duration.

Like the others have said angle properly, make evasive maneuvers and advance on the objectives. Keep an eye out for broadsides to punish and an eye on your surroundings. Many of us (myself included) fall into the trap of focusing on a single enemy. Keep an eye out for more inviting targets.

I find Nagato is a fairly squishy BB by comparison, I often citadel them at range in the Colorado. Despite what the numbers claim, I've found her guns quite accurate and powerful. She is a brawler, so closer is better, but you can also pull off some longer range devastation sometimes.

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

You are missing out on so much fun :D. New York may be shite but New Mexico and Colorado were great. You may be slow, but good god do they shine in CQC

New York... Shit.... Triggered :izmena:

So I survived the Colorado, not very stellar performance, something like 1500 WTR. Here is from my experience:

Colorado is absolute shit in CqC, your armor gets lolpenned at close range by everyone. You brawl with a pensacola at close range... half of your HP will be gone between two salvo of yours. You give kiev your side for a few seconds, you are dead. At higher tier, 8-10 well placed IJN OP HE salvo will kill you. And your armor is lol-penned by higher tier BBs. You are also very slow, changing lane is not an option, your effective speed is about 18 kts. AA is nothing spectacular. -- why I hated Colorado so much.

Now here's the thing that you need to utilize. You don't let your enemy to finish you. Once you are half HP, you fall back and heal and join the fight with almost full HP again. Colorado has very good TDS and very hard to citadel. Whatever damage you take, as long as you don't die, you will heal back almost all of those. There's a saying: You do not let Colorado escape with some HP left, cause next time you see him, he will be at half HP again.

Another thing is the guns. They are very strong. Strongest T7 BB gun if you ask me. Yea Nagato has higher caliber, they dont hit like dem aperican super heavy piercing shells. You delete CAs that were spamming HE at you like a scrub, one at a time. You don't push a cruiser heavy side, you go slow, soak damage, delete cruisers first (you can safely ignore BBs, unless they are broadside), and you delete DDs in one AP salvo at 10 km.

You utilize the trendy German BB captains in the enemy over thinks they are un-beatable, one full salvo of Colorado will take half HP of a braodside Gneisenau at any range. I did that countless of times. Very tight turning circle, easy to dodge those puny german torps.

Just remember, you never brawl in a colorado, it wont end well since you have only 50k HP which is very close to some cruiser HP at your level. You practically have no AP or HE protection, but you have good like heal and very good concealment. Dont be afraid to go close in 1v1 scenario tho, your secondary guns are also good. and 2nd best T7 BB AA. Just don't push a flank alone.

^^ Tells why I love Colorado. Colorado is a painfully good ship.

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles

I like the Colorado, I usually brawl with it. I don't care about its speed though. Nice guns too, and has the best accuracy among Tier 7 BB's.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

After playing the masterpiece called German BBs, specially the Gneisenau and Konig. Nah. CQC? Gneisenau takes the cake on that one. I could easily kill a tier 9 BB on a Gneisenau CQC and watch their shocked faces as I charge them and let them eat 8 torps then turn around and run back to cover.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

After playing the masterpiece called German BBs, specially the Gneisenau and Konig. Nah. CQC? Gneisenau takes the cake on that one. I could easily kill a tier 9 BB on a Gneisenau CQC and watch their shocked faces as I charge them and let them eat 8 torps then turn around and run back to cover.

And then get detonated by torpedoes :trollface:

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

Why can't I get these T9 players when I play T7s in a T9 match :ohmy:

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,605 battles

hate the speed but good guns

but the speed is a headache, so slow either can't keep up or chase no one

gneisenau is more fun to me even with its poor accuracy

Sign in to follow this