You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FlauntingAce78

11 torpedo hit and Konig didnt die!

11 comments in this topic

9 posts
6,787 battles

Hi, Today i fired 12 torpedo to tier V Konig from tier V nicholas destroyer. 11 torpedo scores hit and that konig didnt die. My last 2 Salvo didnt do any damage. How can be this even possible??

Here is my video link to youtube and also replay file:

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/24513-FlauntingAce78-Fault-Line

Thanks

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Most of the torps hit the bow. Bow got saturated, body also saturated.

If one or two more torps hit the midsection instead, the BB would've been dead.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

last 3 toprs didnt do any damage to bow. 

that's because the HP of the bow had already gone.

Each section of the ship has a finite amount of HP, once it's gone, you can't remove any more HP from that section..

As Amade stated, bow got saturated.

9 posts
6,787 battles

that's because the HP of the bow had already gone.

Each section of the ship has a finite amount of HP, once it's gone, you can't remove any more HP from that section..

As Amade stated, bow got saturated.

Ohh, so each section of the ship has separate health. I though ship has common health. Game mechanic is more realistic. wow.  

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Ohh, so each section of the ship has separate health. I though ship has common health. Game mechanic is more realistic. wow.  

Yes and no.

Ships are divided into a few sections: Bow, midships, stern, superstructure are the common ones which all ships have. Some ships have extra sections (e.g. Warspite). Each section has its own HP pool.

Then there is the hull (or body), which encompasses the whole ship, and the citadel (except for Destroyers) which usually encompasses the magazine and the engine room. Both hull and citadel also have their own HP pool.

The total combined HP in individual ship sections (bow, stern, etc) is roughly 1/2 of the ship's nominal total, distributed roughly proportionate to its volume compared to the ship. The hull has about 3/4 of the ship's nominal total. The citadel has 165,000 HP, so it'll never run out of HP before the ship does. It's important to note here that the combined total HP of all sections exceeds that of the ship's nominal total.

So when a shell detonates (not overpen) inside the bow, 1/6 of the damage goes to the bow and another 1/6 goes to the hull, giving you 1/3 of the shell's damage in total. Eventually, the bow gets saturated, and shooting at the same section will only give you 1/6 damage to the hull. Same principal applies to the torpedo. Once the hull also runs out of HP, no damage will be applied to the ship at all, but in most cases a ship will run out of HP before its hull ever runs out of HP.

In very rare cases, such as yours, almost all of the damage is applied to only one section of the ship, so the bow and hull lost all of its hitpoints but the ship still has some HP left over that keeps it alive. In order to finish off the ship, you must hit it in other sections, or damage it using overpens/fires/flooding/ramming (these damage types bypass the HP pool limitations).

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I should have fired some shell and it would have died with 46 health left, but i was wondering that why that BB is not sinking and keep watching to him. And I forgot to fire guns, ha ha

In fact, you could've pumped a few shells into him while rounding the island before your torps had clearance. It's something a lot of people often overlook while lining up their torp run.

9 posts
6,787 battles

Dude, i was excited to see a BB in my torps range, its like fresh meat to butcher, ha ha, i was think about how it will sink.

Previously I sank a Colorado with 5 torps with kamikaze attack, now I notice i fired at middle of the ship, :) Here look at that poor Colorado, ha ha