Sign in to follow this  
Sy_dn_ey

New player from Sydney Australia

14 comments in this topic

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Hi everyone,

I saw a few fun looking videos of this game on YouTube so i thought i will give it a go and see what happens.

Been playing it for the past two days, mostly co-op battles since its faster to load, but i did try two random battles early on, managed to actually kill someone before dying! lol

The hardest part of the game is convincing my fingers to press the buttons i want to press!!!! hahahaha, so i am going to mostly stay in Co-op battles until my fingers learn to obey.... the most tricky one is the shift key,,,, i continually press it whenever i want to turn left in urgent situations. I wonder if my fingers cannot properly handle this simple task, how will they handle torpedoes later on?? hmmmm

What i learn after 2 days?

Ok seems to be way to easy to hit targets? I thought the people on YouTube were very experienced and that's why they mostly hit stuff, hmmm but i guess its good because the skill is not with hitting the target but the amount of damage you do.

*Your own teammates are the deadliest part of the game*

Your own teammates are the deadliest part of the game by restricting how you can maneuver and make you get killed. When you see elite players get killed on Youtube, usually this is the reason. So i guess that's all part of 'situational awareness', So i am getting better at figuring out what my teammates are likely to do and adjust strategy accordingly..... the ones that fire randomly,,, keep WELL away from!! hahahaha... why is there one of those in almost every co-op battle??

What i really need help with is the dock? I have no idea what i am doing there?... well i know how it works, but i don't know how to spend resources efficiently? Do i upgrade this basic ship or do i save the resources for a better ship? if so, which one?

I am doing the Orlan/Russian tree, have no idea what is my next step?

Its a free game, but if i was to spend 50 bucks, how would that make the game more enjoyable and what should i spend it on?

695 posts
2,153 battles

save for tier 4 + I usually start at Tier 5 

pick a tech tree you like, slow and big guns go BB, or be fast try DD's or stay with CA for middle of the road.

also:

JPN DD are torp boats

USA DD middle of the road jack of all trades

RUS DD short range gun boats 

etc

Each nation has it  strengths rock paper sicsors etc

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,836 posts
4,138 battles

Sit back and learn.  Don't rush and for the love of god, watch where you send your torps.  The most dangerous part of low tiers is wayward torpedoes from teammates.

The portal has many training guides and there are plenty of community contributors that offer videos and guides.

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/content/guides/

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Save everything for tier 4, thanks! Does that include crates?

I started in the Russian tree, since i thought its a Russian game, so their ships will probably be pretty solid. But looking at the Russian tech tree, looks more ideal for cruisers.

I seem to be using a cruiser, called the Orlan , don't really know how i ended up with it, just chose the Russian tree and there it is, now go fight! lol

The AI seems to citadel this ship quite easily, but its kinda strange? I noticed the AI ship i am not looking at is the one getting the citadel hits every time.... i can broadside any AI i am looking at, and they don't citadel me unless i drive in straight line, or they get lucky.

I was reading up on captains... apparently you cannot train them for multiple ships, even in the same ship class. As soon as you move him to a new ship, he forgets 50% how to drive the one he was just trained on and magically knows 50% how to drive the new one, Wow that's bizarre?

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Sit back and learn.  Don't rush and for the love of god, watch where you send your torps.  The most dangerous part of low tiers is wayward torpedoes from teammates.

The portal has many training guides and there are plenty of community contributors that offer videos and guides.

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/content/guides/

Wayward friendly torpedoes? Yea, i am not going to be in any hurry to use torpedoes.... experience wise, i would be better off sittin on my keyboard waiting for the match to end than torping a friendly!! hahahaha

I noticed in the Youtube videos that you can see friendly torps miles away, but enemy ones you don't see till there right on you! So you have to anticipate based on the torping opportunity from the enemy ships perspective.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Regarding captains experience..... i noticed a 'Molotov' available in the premium sale section, it seems to say it comes with a feature that allows captains to be transferred without experience loss?

It says "Transfer commanders between ships of the same nation without penalty or retraining"

Looks like something good to have?

It says its tier 6, possibly too high a tier for me yet? But how long will the sale be around?

Edited by Sy_dn_ey

671 posts
1,508 battles

save for tier 4 + I usually start at Tier 5 

pick a tech tree you like, slow and big guns go BB, or be fast try DD's or stay with CA for middle of the road.

also:

JPN DD are torp boats

USA DD middle of the road jack of all trades

RUS DD short range gun boats 

etc

Each nation has it  strengths rock paper sicsors etc

What do you mean by, RUS DD short range gun boats, thats the other way around. Russians dont go close range unless they have to...

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

The ability for a premium ship to train captains works the same as wot premium tank crews. 

Sales happen all the time.

Don't know anything about world of tanks? I watched a few world of tanks videos and i saw them lurching back and forth being tricky, and i thought it looks irritating in a video, and will probably be 10x more irritating in the game! .... whereas in World of Warships people cannot be irritating in that same way because of how ships work. I'm sure they have plenty of other ways to be irritating but none that look stupid in a video.... the ships always move and turn smoothly and look cool.

I looked up some reviews on the Molotov.... i see it refereed to as a glass cannon, an easy kill for others when in less skilled hands. That kind of put me off getting it.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,836 posts
4,138 battles

A premium ships earnings are modified to give increased credits experience and free XP.  You can also train your RUCL captain in it without losing any skills moving from ship to ship.

13 posts
799 battles

mostly co-op battles since its faster to load

Once you get to around tiers 4/5 wait times in random get a lot quicker as there are more people in the pool, also random games give you a lot more xp than co-op.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

A premium ships earnings are modified to give increased credits experience and free XP.  You can also train your RUCL captain in it without losing any skills moving from ship to ship.

Yea that's what caught my attention.... so i decided to by the molotov.... well, its not exactly a cruiser, its a battle cruiser! lol

First thing i noticed in co-op is no one else is using this ship?

I gave it a good run in co-op... but as hard as i try, i can never top the teamate score, mostly third from the bottom, once i got second after i thought i did really well! lol

Seems like AP scores better in co-op with this ship??

AI usually drives my guns off quite frequently, so i have to keep retreating and changing targets,

Next step is to learn how to use torps which i have not done yet.... i don't seek close combat in this ship but it seems to frequently happen and the AI seems fairly intent on chasing me around islands and that would be the time to torp

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Once you get to around tiers 4/5 wait times in random get a lot quicker as there are more people in the pool, also random games give you a lot more xp than co-op.

Its quicker? ok thats cool.... first i have to set my laptop up so i can do other stuff when i die and have to wait for battle end.

[RTANZ]
186 posts
2,015 battles

Update:

ok tried a few random battles in the molotov.... again, not seein anyone else using this ship and i think i am understanding why.....

Its interesting to see how the random battles work.... what i have observed is, you can tell which team will win before the first ship is even sunk just by how well organized they are.

In the Molotov my strategy is to hold back and observe what my team is doing and try to support that action as best i can, but honestly, most of the teams are not well co-ordinated at all, and its not a good environment for this particular ship, its a ship that needs teamwork.

I am thinking i will either go back to a lower tier or join a group?

Sign in to follow this