You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BravaZulu296

Intresting stuff I found on USS Montana that may or may not be in game

Make montana great again!  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Montana needs historical double belt

• Yes
    • no
  2. 2. Montana needs 3x3x18" guns

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Montana should have super heavy freedom shells for 18" guns

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Donald Trump capt. event (I had to come up with a random question because I can't figure out how to remove question)

• Yes
    • No

41 comments in this topic

347 posts

Hi all

So I was reading Jane's battleships of the 20th century and for anyone who does not know about books  branded with Jane's are basically archived facts about ships using given by government although sometimes they are used to spread propaganda for example The British used the book to say that the INVINCIBLE CLASS had 10" guns so the germans built Butcher armed with 8.6" but the INVINCIBLE CLASS actually had 12" guns.

So according to this book Montana:

Has 2 belts the first belt everyone knows is the 16" belt on the outside but covering the citadel and machinery spaces is another 7" belt so in game a citadel hit to a montana class should actually be a shell that has pierced 23" of armour The game should be reworked so that montana may get alot of standard pens by shells penning it's 16" armour but citadels should be rare and only ships with the ability to pierce 584mm of armour should be scoring citadel hits

on top of that it was considered to carry an 18" main battery (457mm) main battery but then reconsidered and instead they decided 16" guns in 3 quadruple turrets then changed to the gun layout the current in game montana has.

It would be great if WG could buff montana's armour to what it was historically meant to be and also give it 18" battery ( for Yamato lovers Yamato still has largest caliber gun (18.1"/460mm) by 3 mm

Edited by BravaZulu296

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
950 posts
5,652 battles

Jane's Books are good to read but a lot of what is in there can be off the mark (one of my favourites is the Grumman Hellcat had top speed over 400mph :D).

Must admit hadn't seen Janes write up on the Montana (I have 'Janes fighting ships of world war II' plus a couple other Jane's), but I'm sure as with all ships there were multiple designed and I'm guessing the 18' guns were dropped as an option because they would have to first design this gun, easier and quicker to use a gun already in service.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,059 battles

To be honest the Montana is one of my most played ships and i don't think we need 18" shells as It's 16" shells are pretty good, I would prefer to see them have more of their characteristics that they should have had. But in terms of T10 balance It's still very competitive, It plays different to both Kurfurst & Yamato you just need to play it accordingly.

347 posts

Jane's Books are good to read but a lot of what is in there can be off the mark (one of my favourites is the Grumman Hellcat had top speed over 400mph :D).

Must admit hadn't seen Janes write up on the Montana (I have 'Janes fighting ships of world war II' plus a couple other Jane's), but I'm sure as with all ships there were multiple designed and I'm guessing the 18' guns were dropped as an option because they would have to first design this gun, easier and quicker to use a gun already in service.

except the F6F could go 391mph so it was only 9 MPH off

Donald Trump as captain. . . Why was I thinking about that during the week?

I would laugh if there was an event like that

Edited by BravaZulu296

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

18 inch gun ?

That Idea is scraped so early. because US comited to make 2 Ocean Navy. 18 inch gun will make her beam to wide for Panama Canal.

In any "What If" imaginary Navy did in WW2. US is the one that cant go further than 16 inch.

Super Yamato and H44 both use 20inch gun

347 posts

18 inch gun ?

That Idea is scraped so early. because US comited to make 2 Ocean Navy. 18 inch gun will make her beam to wide for Panama Canal.

In any "What If" imaginary Navy did in WW2. US is the one that cant go further than 16 inch.

Super Yamato and H44 both use 20inch gun

Actually the montanas in game already couldn't pass the panama canal and they were approved this goes with Midway as well

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Actually the montanas in game already couldn't pass the panama canal and they were approved this goes with Midway as well

Montana can Pass 1942 Planned Expansion Lock of Panama Canal. (Maximum Beam are 41 meters - Montana Beam are 37 meter).

All US new Dreadnought were planned with expansion in mind (The Two-Ocean Navy Act). but the expansion were canceled because of the war effort

History of USS Illinois (BB-65) stated, that the supposed to be the first Montana Class Hull were retrofited into IOWA hull. because the Canal Expansion were canceled.

18inch Battlship would require the beam to be 45-50 meters wide. its can be 10 meter wider and much bigger displacement than the Gerald R Ford Supercarrier. (which put her around 30-35% larger than ingame kurfurst and around 100 meter longer than shokaku).

Even the 2006 Panama Expansion Canal were not wide enough for that (Nimitz class can Pass the canal since its expansion btw)

ingame she would be so inmanuvarable + Fire Magnet - 

that player will chose to snipe with her and we can agree that sniper BB is bad dont we

Edited by humusz

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

I am fine with this as long as we give the German ship the theoretical 19/20 inch guns. 

Kurfurst is H41 not H44

Kurfurst and Fredy should have Torpedo tubes. at T9-T10 torps is more usefull than pea shooting secondary

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,151 battles

hahah dis gon be gud

I mean GK no fun zone with armor

Yamato is potato's choice  good gun, good protection?

then Montana is what the heck no pen zone with AA and AA and AA

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

Double belt? Well, no.
Actually there ain't another 7" belt. The BB-67-4 design, which was final, had a 16.1" belt for protecting the waterline and formed a "armor case" with the 6.1"-5.8" armored deck. There was, however, a belt 3.2"-8.5"-3.75" thick which was directly at the side of the machinery. But this belt was underwater and served as a protecting against diving shells.

So let's make this simple. What will a shell have to pass through to get into Montana's machinery?  There are three ways. 1. Penetrate the 6.1"/5.8" Armored deck. 2.Penetrate the 16.1"/19° Side belt. 3.Dive underwater, penetrate the TDS, and penetrate the 3.2"-8.5"-3.75" underwater protecting.
18" gun designs never reached final stage of design. All BB-65 designs were 16" except a 14". And the BB-67 designs made after the last two (5th and 6th) Iowa-class were ordered, were all 16".
And Donald Trump? Oh yes! Yes please! I want a little person walking on deck and giving speeches!

Can anyone tell me how to attach a picture using the mobile version? I hope I can post the armor layout of BB-67-4 and a nice pic of Trump

Edited by _Halcyon

Super Tester
419 posts
4,238 battles

Double belt for montana would be a good idea. Then maybe a slight change to her dispersion to be worse at long range but a lot more accurate at mid range to make it like this

- GoKu godike secondary, 12 420mm and uncitadelable armor at close range for close quarter

- Montana double belt that can't be citadel from faraway but can still be cit at close range, 12 16inch and powerful AA for mid range combat

- Yamato overall powerful armor and biggest shell for long range fight

Beta Tester
129 posts
4,349 battles

I would rather if they correct the citadel area  model by lower  the citadel just like the North Carolina.Her citadel is just too big and isnt she and Iowa supposed to have a similair citadel layout like the North Carolina? 

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I would rather if they correct the citadel area  model by lower  the citadel just like the North Carolina.Her citadel is just too big and isnt she and Iowa supposed to have a similair citadel layout like the North Carolina? 

She is. But War Gaming purposefully modeled it wrong because they don't want people to get the impression that the Montana can stand up to the Yamato... Because you know, she is supposedly the best battleship in World War 2 and even the ship that was made to counter her is inferior to her