Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

which is correct? 'let player play the way they want' or 'force player play the way you want'?

38 comments in this topic

1,126 posts

I play since the very early of game launch... I'd say a lot has been change

WG says that they try to improve game-play, buffing this nerfing that implement more game mode, map, mechanics,

etc...

some are satisfying, some are disappointing

don't misunderstand, it's good thing that they keep try to improving theirs game and I'm all for cheering them to keep going.

but in the other way... does it feel kinda forceful sometime?

(not always, just 'sometime')

I don't know if it's a difference view point of game business, but from what I learn...

try forcing or pushing player to play the way they (company) want rather than allow them (player) to play freely the way they want is bad in a long term?

they didn't directly forcing player to play in certain way of cause, but by make some change it automatically force player to play... some time the way they didn't use too.

many may say 'adapt it' yes i know but not all of them can do that and we never know. and I know a few people who already quite play WoWs

I didn't specific to any patch any change.

just an overall view of entire game since beginning till today.

aanndd... this just my opinion though.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

well as far as Im concerned the World of Warships development team has been changing this game due to player feedback so this is what the players actually want. It might not cater every single player out there but those changes were popular opinions to they were adapted. They might be forcing you to play in a certain way but its the way that most people wants to play

But my play style haven't changed (I think) so it doesn't bother me lul

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Not sure if i been forcing to play the way WG wanted me to play or i just having fun with the game :D:D:D

But WG always claim that they have numbers and stats to back their changes and all data been collecting from all servers, so some balance been addressed due to the other servers problems which have nothing to do with us.

[PANTS]
188 posts
10,304 battles

The only thing I felt is adjusting my own play style to suit those changes. Whether I'm following wat WG wants, I'm really unsure. But yes like Fenrir said, you can't cater all player's demands or needs 

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I'll just answer to the question you've asked.

This is a MMO game.And lets not forget this is based upon Historical ships and Naval Warfare not an Open World game. Where every kind of players plays in.

So the idea you can do what ever you feel like makes other players lose interest in this game. And we have so many examples to back me up on that. Lets see few examples

• DDs not capping the bases
  • BBs Sniping at maximum range.
  • CAs going solo and getting rekt
  • CVs (Nvm Players already think i hate CVs. Which is not true)

So You can do whatever you want is not in this game's features.

And where as Forcing you to play is not exactly right because this game particularly from the start has modes like Capture the base and Team Deathmatch. And you cannot fulfill those requirements if you do as you please. 

This is how Team Based Games are.

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The only time I felt forced to change the aggressiveness of my general gaming ideology

was back in alpha when I actively played tier VII+ ships.

And surprise to no one the only tier VIII I own is Tirpitz, and I don't ever play her.

So not really feeling forced to change my playstyle, rather getting bored at the near zero progression,

since I reached tier VI or VII on all lines outside of UKCLs because... lol.png

It's okay though, plenty of other games to play in between grabbing 1-2 crates a day or not playing at all. :)

203 posts
11,788 battles

All the dev teams trying to do is to satisfy players.

Forcing how game should be played is there because there are a lot of players out there getting tired of those who manage to turn World of WARSHIPS into World of TOURSHIP or something else*

*I'm just giving example of the worst way playing the game as someone want without caring about others. In the middle of nowhere no enemy ships nor close to any objectives, no goal, nothing.

His goal is to sail around ? just that? There's nothing wrong with playing for fun but doing nothing = fun ?

But again every man have their rights to do anything even if its nothing so all they can do is penalize those that dissatisfied others.

All we can do is adapt to changes.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Not that you can force anyone to play the way you want. even the game dev cant control player

at some point, people will try to improve themself as part of their personal responsibility. but thats it

is this game give you prize pool or something worth fighting for ? Did virtual Win rate matter to u ? did you have something to prove, to someone ? 

at some point you will be burned up and salty inside - and the game will turned stale and become your stress source - so why bother ?

Edited by humusz

250 posts
13,156 battles

"They can do whatever they want as long as their actions don't cost the battle."

This is how I view people in MMO games

Forcing people to players the way they want us to play isn't fun thing. Not every ships were designed to do the same thing over and over because that will be boring

there are diversity for that clause to make people make their decision

However, not every playstyle giving a healthy meta to the game, Devs attempt to bend us toward most healthy meta as much as possible. Sure not everyone enjoy that change (such as IJN DD). So learn to be flexible is most important thing people should know

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Let the players play how they want.

Example is domination in high tier games. Players go for 1 cap then forget about it and start to play however they want. The results are lopsided games with players who wanted to win, tried to win but died because nobody wanted to cap, and then players who doesn't give a single [content removed] about winning and just want to shoot each other. Majority of players(noobs) will do what they want anyway, why not build the road in front of them?

Profanity. Post edited, user already sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

I'll just answer to the question you've asked.

This is a MMO game.And lets not forget this is based upon Historical ships and Naval Warfare not an Open World game. Where every kind of players plays in.

So the idea you can do what ever you feel like makes other players lose interest in this game. And we have so many examples to back me up on that. Lets see few examples

• DDs not capping the bases
  • BBs Sniping at maximum range.
  • CAs going solo and getting rekt
  • CVs (Nvm Players already think i hate CVs. Which is not true)

So You can do whatever you want is not in this game's features.

And where as Forcing you to play is not exactly right because this game particularly from the start has modes like Capture the base and Team Deathmatch. And you cannot fulfill those requirements if you do as you please. 

This is how Team Based Games are.

This in a nutshell.

The developers can try to give a player a better experience, but when it comes down to it, players will play the game how they want to play it.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Which is correct?

I think the answer is a combination of both.

The game is designed to allow the player to think that they are in control. 

.. a bit like life really. :yes_cap:

124 posts

To PGM991, can you give examples of how WG forced players to play as WG intended?

I myself unable to find any significant changes that actually force the players without alternatives or choices.

If you mean by nerfing or buffing, but not total removal, then that is player's own volition.

Sad to say, humans are prone to choose the path of least resistance. If a ship is over-powered, it'll be no surprise the ship'll be popular. When WG nerf such ship, some players will still play that ship, only not as popular as pre-nerf.

I was quite an aggressive cruiser player. It's common to see myself in top 5 in matches.

Then the game shifted to BB heavy and sniping BB meta. I can't play aggressively anymore when I do not want a quick return to port. So, I adapt. Still OK getting into top 5.

Then the new economy changes. It's harder to see myself in top 5 anymore. Probably for few reasons:

1. Sniping BB survive last, thus they get to shoot more until the end of match. Doing so allowed them to earn more rewards.

2. The new economy changes don't see my adapted passive gameplays worthy of more rewards, unless my team or enemy team are potatoes.

WG didn't forced me how to play. I adapted to the unintended meta but I'm not having fun anymore. WG sure didn't force me to quit, but that is what being inclined.

[KGHSF]
3,205 posts
6,030 battles

I'm very exhausted with salties teammate as I play DD get aggro to cap safest base and they ain't help me anyway just camping and snipe force me to run nowhere

I tried everything. I'm lost win rate too much

1,126 posts

if I'm going to take example of my own... it's gonna turn into another 'whining' which I rather avoided...

let just ask...

is there any ship that you use to play comfortably.

but the change came out

and turn out that you can no longer play the same way as before, and force to play that ship in the way that you not comfortable with.

e.g. form other situation

when I'm play FPS/shooting game (call of duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect, etc any game that you can choose your weapon)

weapon of choice to me is always Sniper rifle.

I don't like being in front line, in the heat of battle where you have to act fast, move fast, aim fast, shoot fast.

I stick with back line, go prone, stay hidden, keep clam and slowly carefully picking enemy with my sniper rifle.

I can't react fast enough in front-line, switch weapon to side-arm that faster than reload or use knife fight at close range bla bla bla

but some day Game Dev say... 'hey, no more sniping' and made a change

decrease it range/accuracy, increase reload time a bit.

forcing sniper rifle wielder to go up front together with assault rifle wielder, in the heat of battle that I'm not comfortable with...

some thing like that.

it's just an example though, not really happen.

124 posts

if I'm going to take example of my own... it's gonna turn into another 'whining' which I rather avoided...

let just ask...

is there any ship that you use to play comfortably.

but the change came out

and turn out that you can no longer play the same way as before, and force to play that ship in the way that you not comfortable with.

e.g. form other situation

when I'm play FPS/shooting game (call of duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect, etc any game that you can choose your weapon)

weapon of choice to me is always Sniper rifle.

I don't like being in front line, in the heat of battle where you have to act fast, move fast, aim fast, shoot fast.

I stick with back line, go prone, stay hidden, keep clam and slowly carefully picking enemy with my sniper rifle.

I can't react fast enough in front-line, switch weapon to side-arm that faster than reload or use knife fight at close range bla bla bla

but some day Game Dev say... 'hey, no more sniping' and made a change

decrease it range/accuracy, increase reload time a bit.

forcing sniper rifle wielder to go up front together with assault rifle wielder, in the heat of battle that I'm not comfortable with...

some thing like that.

it's just an example though, not really happen.

Yes, there are ship classes (rather than specifc ships) that was once good in my book but turned harder to play. Though I did not stopped playing them, even specific ships that were badly affected by bad meta.

Though, WG did not intentionally or foresighted enough to predict the meta shaped by their on-going development. It's the (selfish) players that gamed WoWS to their selfish needs that forced me to adapt to such players so as I can eke out what little satisfaction there is to find anymore.

Sure WG tried, such as economy change to lure passive players to be more aggressive. To WG, it did not work. In fact, passive players earned more by being more passive. Try again, WG.

For example, this weekends + Pearl Harbor mission and bonus... :facepalm:

I found myself started playing Co-op more now since I earn better EXP for half the time compared to Random, minus the challenge.

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

Um how are you earning more exp in co op??

It is possible, a devastating first win of the day for a ship in co-op at low tier with a flag will earn more exp than a silly loss in randoms.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Yes, there are ship classes (rather than specifc ships) that was once good in my book but turned harder to play. Though I did not stopped playing them, even specific ships that were badly affected by bad meta.

Though, WG did not intentionally or foresighted enough to predict the meta shaped by their on-going development. It's the (selfish) players that gamed WoWS to their selfish needs that forced me to adapt to such players so as I can eke out what little satisfaction there is to find anymore.

Sure WG tried, such as economy change to lure passive players to be more aggressive. To WG, it did not work. In fact, passive players earned more by being more passive. Try again, WG.

For example, this weekends + Pearl Harbor mission and bonus... :facepalm:

I found myself started playing Co-op more now since I earn better EXP for half the time compared to Random, minus the challenge.

Be specific, Which class has become harder to play??? And effected badly by meta?  seriously? Why do other players playing and doing good in the same meta?

And Economy is better now It is really not rewarding bad players(i think you're one of them because you're feeling it is bad). And what is wrong with missions. they are still rewarding. And giving you good amount of credits. why are you complaining? it is almost 2 million credits or more than that.

Playing Co-Op because you're earning more exp there?? I really wanna see how much you earned in Random vs you're now earning in Co-Op. And what kind of performances you've put up in those matches. (I think you're that guy who doesn't like good competition)

And If you're still in T4 or T5 and started complaining about game. Well play more and get to some what to T7 then complain about Meta and Economy

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

[AE]
200 posts
9,488 battles

My own experience, both in WoWs and WoT, is that being pressured by others to play a certain way, contrary to what you normally do, ends in disaster.

The way I see it, people play the way they are comfortable with. If you pressure someone to suddenly become aggressive, when they play passively normally, means they are out of their comfort zone, and playing in a way they are inexperienced. Almost inevitably they (or I) die miserably.

124 posts

Be specific, Which class has become harder to play??? And effected badly by meta?  seriously? Why do other players playing and doing good in the same meta?

And Economy is better now It is really not rewarding bad players(i think you're one of them because you're feeling it is bad). And what is wrong with missions. they are still rewarding. And giving you good amount of credits. why are you complaining? it is almost 2 million credits or more than that.

Playing Co-Op because you're earning more exp there?? I really wanna see how much you earned in Random vs you're now earning in Co-Op. And what kind of performances you've put up in those matches. (I think you're that guy who doesn't like good competition)

And If you're still in T4 or T5 and started complaining about game. Well play more and get to some what to T7 then complain about Meta and Economy

So you want to see if I'm actually a bad player just ranting off? Challenge accepted!

I'll use our stats to compare. Since I hidden mine, I'll do the labour of MS Painting it. I've picked ships we both have and played. Ships are all Tier VI and above. Order is randomly arranged with neither of our names are in it.

Cruiser, Tier VI Cleveland:

post-2008398230-0-94922100-1481359923.jp

Cruiser, Tier VII Myoko clones:

Spoiler

post-2008398230-0-06373600-1481359923.jp

Cruiser, Tier VIII Tsundere heavy cruiser:

Spoiler

post-2008398230-0-18556600-1481359922.jp

Note: There's a global limit to upload. So stay tuned for tomorrow.

Tsundere heavy cruiser.jpg

Myoko clone.jpg

Cleveland.jpg

124 posts

Um how are you earning more exp in co op??

Minus the frustration in Random, and most of the time able to complete a match as twice as fast. Not all the time but it can be productive in Co-op if EXP is your objective. Again, minus the frustration and predictable bots.

Basically I'm average in Random but Unicum in Co-op :P

496 posts
4,171 battles

Minus the frustration in Random, and most of the time able to complete a match as twice as fast. Not all the time but it can be productive in Co-op if EXP is your objective. Again, minus the frustration and predictable bots.

Basically I'm average in Random but Unicum in Co-op :P

everyone is gonna be unicum in co-op since bots are pretty... predictable 

i know a person who is some-what known for some of his mods .... and he play a ton of PVE in comparison to PVP games.... grind a line to tier 8 in pvp

Edited by ShiraYukira

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

everyone is gonna be unicum in co-op since bots are pretty... predictable 

i know a person who is some-what known for some of his mods .... and he play a ton of PVE in comparison to PVP games.... grind a line to tier 8 in pvp

Bots are relatively predictable, but the play of your team isn't.

Co-Op matches can vary due to this. I exclusively play Co-Op (Unless I'm testing now...) and you can still have challenging games depending on your teams performance.

The grind is longer, but with less salt.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

So you want to see if I'm actually a bad player just ranting off? Challenge accepted!

I'll use our stats to compare. Since I hidden mine, I'll do the labour of MS Painting it. I've picked ships we both have and played. Ships are all Tier VI and above. Order is randomly arranged with neither of our names are in it.

Cruiser, Tier VI Cleveland:

post-2008398230-0-94922100-1481359923.jp

Cruiser, Tier VII Myoko clones:

Spoiler

post-2008398230-0-06373600-1481359923.jp

Cruiser, Tier VIII Tsundere heavy cruiser:

Spoiler

post-2008398230-0-18556600-1481359922.jp

Note: There's a global limit to upload. So stay tuned for tomorrow.

How should I know these are really your stats??? I Can also hide my stats and show my friend's stats anyway. Hiding your stats and Uploading unnamed Stats doesn't really mean they are your stats. My stats are Open to anyone who want's to check them, unlike yours. 

Sign in to follow this