Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

Cruisers- Doing No Better

37 comments in this topic

341 posts
3,994 battles

I've been following the tips given to me in my last post about learning cruisers, and playing my Aoba.

However, the games I am having are still pretty terrible. In the first game today, the team split in half pretty evenly in a standard battle. However, the whole enemy team went to one side of the map and surrounded the half I was in. I was the first ship detected in line and pretty much got deleted from fire from 5 ships on all sides. The team still won due to better positioning but my performance was dismal. Maybe it was bad luck?

Second game and I was the "first blood" despite sailing and zigzagging around 2 of the team's battleships in the midline and not even being the first detected, but an enemy battleship, cruiser and destroyer all focused on me for some reason. When I turned away and angled at maybe 50 degrees to the enemy, the VMF Russian Bias  Molotov proceeded to fire AP, and deleted me for 20K HP immediately anyway.

I feel like I don't even have armour and am the number one target for everyone because of it.

I still have no idea how to play these things.

980 posts
12,617 battles

That just sounds like bad luck to me.

The only thing I will say is to. Avoid being the first one being detected. Literally, hang around the battleships with your team, don't go ahead of them. That way you can see the whole situation of the battle better and then pick and choose when to engage. Avoid the temptation to rush forward.

Play 10 more games, and then tell us how you go. Playing cruisers shouldn't ever be this unpleasant.

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

Even tho I have no experience on Aoba I Played Nachi for almost 90 battles and only thing I say is Japanese CAs are not meant to be lead ships. By lead ships I mean first ships that get detected.You need to stay somewhere in the middle of the team so that you can light them up with HE. Only thing Aoba or Myoko can't do is go up against 2,3 ships it is just suicide for it and Never think that you can just turn drop torpedo and run. Well I myself wait for Players to show their side so that i can get some citadels(Because IJN ships are very easy to citadel) And I'd recommend you to stay with some fast firing ships because you wont get noticed that often because ships like cleveland(or any DPS Machines) just keep on shooting vs you shooting for every 14secs or so Which gets them noticed and you being unnoticed.

37zXEhx.png

341 posts
3,994 battles

pveiPMN.jpg3BNkv4c.jpg

So I err... Did everything the same as the last 2 games, albeit maybe a bit better, play a decent game by myself, watch as useless teammates melt around me and lose because I play a supportive role and can't really carry in a floating citadel box?

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

watch as useless teammates melt around me and lose because I play a supportive role and can't really carry in a floating citadel box?

Look at my WTR vs my WR in Nachi? Says something right? Lol team melting down is kinda common these days.(I myself admit that sometimes die in 5 mins because RNG but I don't get carried xD in nachi)
Edited by Aaditya_AJ

341 posts
3,994 battles

Just wondering, can I continue playing Myoko like an Aoba or is it as different as I was last told it was? I am consistently breaking a satisfactory 40000 damage or more a game and already feel much more confident to buy a proper Myoko and continue the line. From experience with Nachi my shells and turret rotation feel much slower, while I am not sure about how much the turret placement will affect my play and I'd like to know a bit more. 

496 posts
4,163 battles

Just wondering, can I continue playing Myoko like an Aoba or is it as different as I was last told it was? I am consistently breaking a satisfactory 40000 damage or more a game and already feel much more confident to buy a proper Myoko and continue the line. From experience with Nachi my shells and turret rotation feel much slower, while I am not sure about how much the turret placement will affect my play and I'd like to know a bit more. 

i wasnt here to answer your older questions.....

but aoba to myoukou is slightly different

with myoukou 's gun placement she is more suitable to kite.. basically firing while running away with 3 turrets facing rear side and 2 forward facing turret... the game style is different Aoba is doing the opposite.

but generally eveything else is nearly the same, medium size citadel. except myoukou is just larger and more longer than an Aoba so you have to take caution when turning.

this is just my opinion but mainly based on my atago gameplay reason : same turret placement.

Edited by ShiraYukira

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I'd recommend take DE and use HE on anything and when BBs or cruisers are like 7kms close use AP. And about Myoko it needs to play like a support ship for BBs You need to be close to the team. If you're with the team you can really use IJN HE and light anyone who is trying to push and I'd recommend you not to use torpedoes untill it is really necessary. Because setup in the Myoko is danger to yourself where you need to show full broadside to other ships. And did I mention even DDs can citadel you?

And it is a great ship for normal grind. Bad and frustrating ship for Hardcore grinders.

341 posts
3,994 battles

So in that case, how should I play as bottom tier where I am outranged and people tend to never get into range, and are there major adjustments to be made in the way I handle the slower guns eg. turning 180 degrees to change direction?

496 posts
4,163 battles

So in that case, how should I play as bottom tier where I am outranged and people tend to never get into range, and are there major adjustments to be made in the way I handle the slower guns eg. turning 180 degrees to change direction?

in tier 7 the chance of bottom tier is lesser but you ahve chance of meeting tier 8 and 9

thats when you play a support role of eighter being a HE spammer towards BB or a DD supporter where you spam HE on opposing DDs.....

using AP on broadside  cruiser....

if the turret traverse is bothering you i really couldn't help you...

skills i take for IJN captains personally :

expert loader

last stand / incoming fire alert ( both are essential to me but its up to you)

high alert

demolition expert

concealment expert

218 posts
3,788 battles

with myoukou 's gun placement she is more suitable to kite.. basically firing while running away with 3 turrets facing rear side and 2 forward facing turret... the game style is different Aoba is doing the opposite.

but generally eveything else is nearly the same, medium size citadel. except myoukou is just larger and more longer than an Aoba so you have to take caution when turning.

Not to mention the rear arc torp and the almost BB like gun traverse speed. I often end up got citadel when I turn around to fire the torps. 

I found that most players would've prioritized killing a cruiser over anything else. From my own experience, to play cruiser effectively, you need to be a good multi-tasker and have a superb spatial visualization ability. You need to keep changing speed, turning around, aiming and firing your gun/torpedo while at the same time keep your eyes on a tactical situation around you, something I often failed miserably.

[LNA]
1,655 posts
10,411 battles

I find that DE do not increase fire chance that much actually , i rather take advanced firing training to deter carriers from looking your way. I mean your fire chance is already high and your RoF is not that high to compensate for the low increase

496 posts
4,163 battles

Not to mention the rear arc torp and the almost BB like gun traverse speed. I often end up got citadel when I turn around to fire the torps. 

I found that most players would've prioritized killing a cruiser over anything else. From my own experience, to play cruiser effectively, you need to be a good multi-tasker and have a superb spatial visualization ability. You need to keep changing speed, turning around, aiming and firing your gun/torpedo while at the same time keep your eyes on a tactical situation around you, something I often failed miserably.

other than Atago.. and tier 5 and below IJN cruisers.. torpedo is none existant...

due to the rear facing torps they are only usable for area denial(in peace time) and kiting...

to shoot rear torp you pretty much showing your entire broadeside for about 5-8 seconds ( from my guess)

so to play mid tier IJN CA its suggested to drop your dependent on torpedo.

yes a cruiser is a middle ground between a BB and a DD so you are pretty much a multi purpose class of ship......

the need to keep changing speed is a bit difficult but you will of course learn to use it to survive especially with incoming fire alert it helps improve one's survivability and dodging incoming shells....

turning around is an important part as you sometime need to get out of  bad situation but turning at wrong time will be bad as some IJN has bad turning radius or rudder time...

but not everyone is able to do everything....

just remember 1 thing, don't depend on your torpedo to do damage in games you will regret showing your broadside to enemy BBs.....

quoting on your last few words " something i often failed miserably"

my solutions is :

1 play with team mates with voice chat they will call out if you are ahead alone or too fast ahead

2 using some icon mods which enlarge your icons saying detected/incoming fire/torpedo alert

3 relax  a bit leaning your back on your chair sometimes so you have a broader view on your monitor ( basically the map and everything else) or move your mouse around to see your environment. World of warship is a slow pace game as close range combat is quite rare.... giving enough time to inspect environment 

110 posts
1,474 battles

drive straight into an island that puts enemies in your range. Go undetected, put up the plane (to spot ships trying to sneak and slightly earlier torp spotting)and than drive back and forth  to get shots. If your support decides to run away, you die. If a cruiser goes for long range torps, you will be able to guess what they are doing by spotting them and start making a move, but you still may die getting shot up by his support. If a dd goes for med/long range torps, and don't screw it up, you will die. But your only other options are to hope the enemy pushes well enough they still have hp when they reach your range, or vice versa when your team pushes. Anything else puts you at the front, which gets you focused.

Also shooting (this is one time you can risk a torp salvo) distracted enemies is handy, and again some island humping lets you get close to enemies before popping out once they forget about you. Beware some ships can and will hit you over the island you are hiding behind even before you can fire back. 

Like they said torps are mostly area denial and shooting them from islands, though after a bb has fired you usually have time to launch a set and get back into an angled position. With my aoba, I will shoot ap at any range against a broadside cruiser, and a lack of citadels comes down only to an ineptitude of aiming on my part. Seriously, I have citadeled most cruisers in its mm range at 14-16km range. Angled or bbs it is he unless I have nice super structure shot (and it isn't already black).

341 posts
3,994 battles

I'm still not understanding the kind of based luck I get in cruisers. I have almost a whole week of 40k average damage days in Aoba and today...

First Game- Round ends in 5 minutes, I do almost nothing,

Second Game- Allied Bismarck rams me and shoves me broadside on as a meatshield into the enemies when I can't break off him.

Third Game- Deleted for 20000 HP through the stern from a Tirpitz at 16km before even getting any visible targets in range.

:unsure:

Edited by InterconKW

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

I'm still not understanding the kind of based luck I get in cruisers. I have almost a whole week of 40k average damage days in Aoba and today...

First Game- Round ends in 5 minutes, I do almost nothing,

Second Game- Allied Bismarck rams me and shoves me broadside on as a meatshield into the enemies when I can't break off him.

Third Game- Deleted for 20000 HP through the stern from a Tirpitz at 16km before even getting any visible targets in range.

:unsure:

Poor you man, It is not your mistake being deleted WG thinks it is the best MM they've ever implied. What they don't understand is T6 ships cannot take beating from T8 ships. Some would say it is challenging but That always depends on Team being good or not. and the range of most T6 cruisers is around 13-15kms which is exact effective range of any T8 ships in the game. 

When you go up against T8 ships just play Passive and no one will say to you anything because you're the lowest tier. Good luck man

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

After playing Furutaka and Aoba quite nicely even though I was expecting them to be terrible ship(though Aoba isn't a stellar ship in anyway, pure mediocre), one thing I can say is that players forget how painful your APs are on that tier, specially the Furutaka. It's very hard to teach in words on how to play cruisers specially the IJNs. You need to be quite cunning and opportunistic. Also, although they say don't rely on your torps, don't forget them either.

As an IJN cruiser, you must remember you have very devastating torps, even better than the destroyers. Don't worry though, Aoba might feel like a plateau or it felt like a non-upgrade from Furutaka, Myoko will be a very big upgrade from Aoba.

Play with your concealment. Unlike other cruisers of other nations, IJN cruisers have devastating salvoes and you don't need to fire as much as other nations do. Position, then fire a sure hit salvo, then disappear, let their guns point to another target, then hit again.
Edited by Deicide

146 posts
10,150 battles

My advice: play Pensacola for a while. This ship totally reset my expectations when it came to cruisers. Now, if I'm not deleted inside 5 minutes by a BB 18km away, and get to fire my guns a few times, I feel like I've had a good game.

I very rarely survive a match in my Chapy or Hipper - don't have great stats on either, but enjoy contesting caps, hunting DDs, and harrassing BBs until one inevitably notices me and then it's just a matter of a time until I lose a citadel or two from any angle. Often in higher Tiers there are 6 BBs on each side and 5 DDs, only 2 cruisers . . . played a match today against 2 yamatos, 3 Tier 9 BBs and an Amagi . . . To me this is broken gameplay for cruisers . . And the only thing to do is adjust your expectations.

Look at it this way: games are shorter, you can still get heaps of XP and credits, and have lots of fun. But survival and meaningful contributions to team goals at higher Tiers is not going to occur often - and that is not your fault.

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

Avoid BB heavy flank or avoid being the center of attention. Your HE alpha is good, and AP is extremely potent at 10 km or lower. Dont forget to angle when you face enemy cruisers and dodge them with your speed and WASD. Your captain should have DE.

Also make sure that BBs don't get to shoot your back. That is guaranteed citadel.

Agree with Deicide, Aoba is pure medicore, and overhyped by fanbois.

341 posts
3,994 battles

So I was consistently doing 40K damage per battle in Aoba and felt confident to move on to Myoko. I purchased the actual Myoko but continued using ARP ones to practice.

Today, I went through 6 Nachi games, and faced Tier 7-9 in 3 of them and Tier 6-8 in 2 more. In bottom tier, any attempts to push forward to engage in fairly open maps resulted in through-the-bow citadels, and any midline playing never brought me into range. I struggled breaking even 30K damage per game. I'm not exactly sure what to do about this.

- I was thinking that I could use my concealment to get into range of some enemy, fire once and fall away, rinse and repeat. Focused by 3 enemies on appearing.

-Repeating the move with island cover, on the way out, I dodged 7/8 shells from a Colorado. The last one flies wide, hits my angled belt. Citadel.

-Finally, in a desperate attempt to do damage, move forward. Dev-striked by undetected enemy on flank.

:facepalm:

Sign in to follow this