Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TechnoGore

Bb snipers

38 comments in this topic

110 posts
1,474 battles

How do I play in an outranged ship when all my ally bbs like to snipe from extreme range? The problem usually applies to enemy bbs as well, so even if I am willing to camp with the bbs I probably won't get much to shoot at. 

If I push up to spot enemy ships or just to shoot them, well you get focused since you are the closest enemy.

Would a solution (to the whole bb snipe problem) be to simply nerf the extreme ranges that some of them can shoot at?

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

BaBBies are pampered by weeb boats having 20+km range starting from T5 and doesn't want to take anything less.

Cut the range by 3-4km so they'll eventually learn about something called teamplay. Hell, I've seen stock Fuso earn more exp than an upgraded one hanging at the back of the map.

440 posts
3,380 battles

Nerfing the bb's range is not the right thing since this is more about the mindset of certain players (the snipers in this case) not about the ships themselves

563 posts
4,686 battles

BaBBies are pampered by weeb boats having 20+km range starting from T5 and doesn't want to take anything less.

Cut the range by 3-4km so they'll eventually learn about something called teamplay. Hell, I've seen stock Fuso earn more exp than an upgraded one hanging at the back of the map.

You.. I like you.

347 posts

Since i play DDs mainly i then imply the same mind set to enemy BBs :D:D:D

"Be aggressive huh ?, eat my Torpedoes !!!"

so both team BBs now equally sniper.  

yeah that's the problem For fast IJN BBs It appears to be their beautiful range that keeps them from engaging (I don't have IJN battleships outside of kongo) and for USN BBs it's the torps - I know this for sure specially when you have accidental friendly fire with torpedoes. BB players that snipe will never know the beauty of Close in combat. In a sniping situation they try to hit people where that person can't hit them as to avoid damage. In close in combat you 100% hit the target with shells although you can still miss because not enough children have been sacrificed to RNG god, But you get murdered by HE and DDs that are too close (although that moment you 1 hit KO them).Close in combat is wonderful because one time I did 40 000 damage in my new mexico then with only 500 HP left I rammed a full HP New mexico (upgraded to hit had like 56 000 HP) and destroyed the poor enemy new mexico. The one reason i didn't sell new mexico.Also 10km can 1 hit KO anything on new mex but no for colorado(however I only have stock) which is why Montana is an excellent ship(also montana can actually hide unlike some obese  german BB *cough* *cough* Kurfust *cough* *cough*. although I still this montana need buff)
Edited by BravaZulu296

892 posts
7,853 battles

Alas, German BB don't excel at long range sniping because their guns' have horrid dispersion. In any case, being a camping sniper is not my play style. I'm usually pushing forward and hopefully, my team mates take my cue and follow.

110 posts
1,474 battles

Nerfing the bb's range is not the right thing since this is more about the mindset of certain players (the snipers in this case) not about the ships themselves

In my opinion, and apparently others, it is certainly a solution. In low mid tiers, an aggressive bb player is the exception to the rule. High dispersion, no ability to lead? Doesn't matter, they will do what they can to sit at extreme/max range and snipe. Doesn't matter if they are American, Japan, any Bb will take on the role of sniper.

Having read some topics here/reddit, it seems the problem only gets worse as you go up tiers. 

Dispersion, if they are even aware of it, doesn't affect these snipers. Presumably some are ignorant of it, while for others 'lol he has bad dispersion too, let's play based on my skill rng luck'.

This would also help a lot with being uptiered, sure other cruisers and whatever will still out range yours, but if bbs are forced to push into a decent range this will give shorter range ships the ability to still get in and have fun. 

The game.. has some issues, but for the most part I enjoy it. The biggest problem seem to actually be it's player base. (And I'm sure that everyone can say a similar thing about something, possibly even something that applies to me) I also think they are handling some things here a lot better than at tanks. However the level of bb sniping and to a much lesser extent "ally" torpedoes is what prevents me from currently sponsoring the game. I was stupid enough to purchase some doubloons as I did have a ship in mind, but at this stage I will just have to wait and hope either the meta is changed or the range is needed before I can justify the purchase.

450 posts
7,896 battles

Is it due to the WG design? 

IJN has sniper BB,

USN has AA BB, and 

KM has CQB BB

I found I die pretty quick if I lead a charge in IJN BB. Her body is too long and the armor is too thin. However, when I lead a charge in USN or KM BB, I can survive and sometimes win (>100,000 damage and still lost the fight, you know what I mean)

347 posts

IJN has sniper BB,

USN has AA BB, and 

KM has CQB BB

I found I die pretty quick if I lead a charge in IJN BB. Her body is too long and the armor is too thin. However, when I lead a charge in USN or KM BB, I can survive and sometimes win (>100,000 damage and still lost the fight, you know what I mean)

That is so true

347 posts

Sometimes you need to snipe, sometimes you need to push. You need to know when to do what. For example, in an Epicenter, team with better snipers will almost always win.

Yeah but at the correct distance where you have a zone of immunity

11 posts
3,403 battles

The main issue isnt with the ships its with the players. Because im sure even if they bring the range of the fuso and everything back to 18km with the colorado and t8 bb to 20km you will still have people sniping. They will make very little xp for sniping and the thing is that battleship players myself included will push into the effective range of the ship and actually do damage and be a contributer to the game. All the while the BaBBies will be doing basically 1/4 of the overall damage a pushing battle ship would.

Now that i had my rant on the whole situation to honnest your better off pushing and using cover to try and close the gap. You can use the range extender to help with that, but really as you play more you will learn when you can push and when not to. Getting 60k of damage in a battleship seems to be my average outside of the yamato and a decent game. Really all you can do is push with the cruisers and being an american BB you will need to just pick where you think they will be and go for it the armor will save you a fair bit with proper angling but having surrounding people will help with HE focusing. Its a frustraighying old game when it happens but the most you can do is ping and ask friendlys to push with you. They ether will or you will have to carry hard.

Hopefully you have a bit more success in your games and if you can find people to division up with it helps greatly (check out the community section on the forums to see if you can find people in your region). Even watching youtubers like aeroon, flamu, the list goes on. Even watching your own game play and watch it to see where a mistake was made or thing could have been done better.

Edited by awsomea3

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

Historically battleships are capable of engaging enemies at a far greater distance. As for game, well… Low tier new players tend to start firing at max range without approaching. As for high tiers, camping is very reasonable. If you push too much, you will get totally beat up by concentrated HE spam, Yammy 460mm, British AP and torpedoes. Pushing at early stage only gets you killed early. Camping at the early part of thr game and pushing after the enemy suffered some losses is better.

And NO, I don't think nerfing battleship range is necessary, nor reasonable. Some T10 cruisers' base range is already very close to battleships' (Moskva and Hindenberg), and due to their better accuracy and fixed HE penetration, all of their range is effective range, even with firing range mod.

112 posts
5,463 battles

Historically battleships are capable of engaging enemies at a far greater distance. As for game, well… Low tier new players tend to start firing at max range without approaching. As for high tiers, camping is very reasonable. If you push too much, you will get totally beat up by concentrated HE spam, Yammy 460mm, British AP and torpedoes. Pushing at early stage only gets you killed early. Camping at the early part of thr game and pushing after the enemy suffered some losses is better.

And NO, I don't think nerfing battleship range is necessary, nor reasonable. Some T10 cruisers' base range is already very close to battleships' (Moskva and Hindenberg), and due to their better accuracy and fixed HE penetration, all of their range is effective range, even with firing range mod.

This.

Camping BBs are annoying but sometimes in a game the best tactic is in fact to 'camp'.

The problem comes when people 'camp' for extended periods and don't recognise that moment in the game to push. Most BB players are unaware or unwilling to transition to the push when required, that's the problem not the range on the guns. 

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

IJN has sniper BB,

USN has AA BB, and 

KM has CQB BB

not all the IJN BBs are geared for Sniping they generally have a variation of rolls, Kongo and Amagi are more geared for flanking and out positioning (a good Kongo player can brawl its rivals into submission, Amagi is no slouch in a brawl either) , Fuso is the cleanup crew, and Nagato is the one that will punish you for every broadside.

That range is not there as a sniping option, its for pursuing and destroying the enemy as they flee

208 posts
8,210 battles

Nagato is the one that will punish you for every broadside.

you need punished someone ASAP before you got punished by other BB :trollface:

"Nagato armor is just for show "

110 posts
1,474 battles

I did mention that my issue was specifically at low-mid tiers where cruisers in general do not have a similar range didn't I? Even though I don't really appreciate my t5 ships being used as a filler for t7 battles, I was happy to discover that there usually aren't quite as many hardcore snipers further up. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it not all of the start of a match is usually done at extreme ranges, which can be annoying (because I am hugely outranged), but at least they do tend to push at some stage.

Thank you awesomea for your advice. I am afraid I make too many mistakes to want to watch my own replays for that purpose :p

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

Just want to point out another point:

Most of the people complaining about BBs camping are absolutely shit with BBs themselves. And probably they camp as well. I hope its not OPs case.

110 posts
1,474 battles

I am shit with bbs probably everything, but definitely no camping. Part of this is my inability to accurately predict/aim unpredictable enemies, but most of it is I don't really enjoy the sniper play style. I basically stopped playing tds in wot because I got sick of camping. I am the type of person who would rather try their luck in another battle than camp the whole match, so even if whole team snipes my bb will still be at or near the front. 

As mentioned there is difference between yolo and defensive play for a bit, and I am getting better at finding the right balance but I hate camling

525 posts
7,946 battles

Camping? what camping? - RU server :trollface:.

But yea, i noticed that most BB camper in low tier are either the Kongo or Fuso for some reason.

Edited by Skooma

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,842 posts
4,140 battles

Inexperience, server meta and the fact the ships let  them out range everyone else is the cause. Sure the accuracy is crap, but you only need one hit for a detonation.  Once they get that result and they cant get it in a US or KM BB they are hooked.  Trade occasional damage for no damage was how this game became painful.    The economy changes have done a little bit to fix it but many player don't know, understand or care so sniping will always be a part of the game

Sign in to follow this