Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legionary2099

Most survivable cruiser in game ?

35 comments in this topic

[LNA]
1,697 posts
10,550 battles

I am currently fiddling my hands on a few cruiser line and just wonder which cruisers are the best protected ( least likely to eat lol cit pen straight on the face and maybe bounce AP shells here or there ). I know that RN ships CL will not be on the list though ( screw you Emerald - Danae :trollface: ). I mean last day i saw a New Orleans die while being near bow on to a Yammy ( hes evading shell actively) in one lol cit pen salvo. I AM SCARED to go higher tiers , right now even in tier 6-7 i can sometimes citadel pen a CA turning toward or away from me if RNG likes it in a BB. So the question is which CA line survive AP fire the best - i want to grind that line 1st to get a feel of the firepower difference ( i mostly play cv and dd so no idea).

Any advice are welcome , thank you for your time

634 posts
6,315 battles

US has decent good armour of all cruisers except T5 and T7 and maybe T8.

IJN cruisers armour is decent, but not as good as other nations. T3/4 real bad armour.

KM cruisers has poor armour until T7, then they have good armour especially when versing other CAs.

Soveit cruisers have decent armour. T6 and T7 are bad. At T10 it can troll with bow on.

Of course, no cruiser should ever expose broadside.

And of course new orleans will get bow penetrated by Yamato. Yamato is tier 10, if it cant pen a tier 8, what else can it do?

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Russia CA, particularly the Moskva hands down best CA armor and can tank BB shells bow-on. At mid tiers they have long range to keep them away from enemies and give them enough time to easily dodge incoming BB shells they also have easier time at sniping long range since their shell velocity and arcs are very good. At tier 8, Chapayev can effectively invisifire. Next one will be the smoker cruisers from the brits. Well, duh, they have smoke. USN and IJN are the least survivable as they have to risk getting seen when firing and has no smoke to cover their ass(except Zao CE+CM, ibuki CE+CM+Range and stock mogami hull+CM+CE, which can invisifire). They have to rely on evasion skills, tactics and good foresight to remain alive.

Edited by Deicide

381 posts
9,984 battles

Assuming we are talking about pure armor toughness and not maneuverability. Most cruisers cannot survive bow-on against same tier BB, simply due to overmatch mechanic. I don't own the Moskva myself so correct me if I'm wrong, but Moskva cannot sit bow-on against any BB in its MM range as it only possesses 25mm armor which is overmatched by 380mm+ shells. 

Against other cruisers' AP, t8+ German cruisers have an advantage. They possess some kind of mini-turtleback so it's very hard to score more than 2 citadels per salvo against them if you are in another cruiser. Against BB, that advantage seems to be negated as I have done 3 or 4x citadels to them in my Amagi. But they have another pros - it's a very small section of bow armor on Hipper/Roon/Hindy is 40mm instead of the usual 25mm which can even bounce Yamato's shell.

211 posts

Balti and Des got 26mm so can take on 380mm head on

Moskva got small profile bow on and sleek making shells easier to bounce

KM CA got turtleback so harder to cit, but is possible

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,536 battles

Katori and Iwaki.

One is too slow to be hit and the other has smoke and 10km torps at tier IV.

Can any other cruiser really top that in their tier?

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

for me it was atago. i have low survivability because i'm too aggressive for my own good. but with atago i can manage to get out of harms way because of her amazing concealment, she also has repair to light damage from fire and HE. she's also fast and very maneuverable allows her to disengage on battle and uses her torpedo to discourage enemy from trying to go after her.

with enough luck i even manage to survive getting hit by yamato on broadside at minus 10km range without citadel.

i was really pampered by my atago that i'm having trouble transitioning to myouko (i really have myouko poor turret traverse)

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

All cruisers can be lolpenned from the bow by 16" guns regardless of how angled they were. If the shell hits the spot, theres no stopping it. Best chance you get is to maneuver wildly and hope for the best, because experienced BB driver can even nail the possible direction you're heading after you swing the rudder (and boy, what a satisfaction it was when you do nail it)

But you're after the tankiest cruiser in terms of armor & citadel protection, Hindenburg is the king. Lowest citadel height which is protected by 100mm belt and 40mm of turtleback. If this ship goes broadside on to a Yamato at 5km or less, the Yamato would have to shoot the water (literally at the water) to even had a slightest chance to citadel it. And if said Yamato driver goes for the belt instead, it'll just bounce off the citadel dealing overpen damage. Zao also have similar armor scheme, sans the higher citadel hitbox.

266 posts
5,142 battles

If by survivable, you mean in terms of tanking capability, then here are the cruisers which I consider quite tanky, or at least tankier than others :

IJN : Furutaka, Myoko, Atago, Zao.

USN : Baltimore, Des Moines.

KM : Yorck, Hipper, Roon, Hindenburg.

RU : Budyonny, Moskva.

RN : None.

But as others said, you can't hope to reliably bounce BB shells in a cruisers. Even the Moskva can still be lolpenned by Yamato or plunging fire from USN freedom shells. Your concealment and maneuverablity will always be your strongest armor.

[SXLCE]
40 posts
3,517 battles

But you're after the tankiest cruiser in terms of armor & citadel protection, Hindenburg is the king. Lowest citadel height which is protected by 100mm belt and 40mm of turtleback. If this ship goes broadside on to a Yamato at 5km or less, the Yamato would have to shoot the water (literally at the water) to even had a slightest chance to citadel it. And if said Yamato driver goes for the belt instead, it'll just bounce off the citadel dealing overpen damage. Zao also have similar armor scheme, sans the higher citadel hitbox.

You sure about that? I can pen and citadel hindenberg fine even with chapayev. I find it harder to citadel zao troll armor especially if it goes slightly angled.

451 posts

For American Crusiers, T6, T9, and T10 have very good armor for Tier, just don't go straight bow on make sure there is a slight angle and you can tank a lot.  T5 and T7, these 2 ships are made out of cits.  Pepsi is being a real pain in the ass to level up and it's frustrating.  Not to sure about T8, I know stock as better armour and health than me, but that's about all.

For Japanese Crusiers, You have squishier sides for the most part - (ex Aoba vs Cheatland, Aoba has weaker side armor), but if you are well angled (not completely bow on but with a slight angle) you can bounce same tier BB shells as well and you have torps all the way up to the Zao, but they are best used for kiting (running away) than attack because of angles.

By the way, I'm a BB main myself and I enjoy the Japanese Crusier line the best.  Oh, and don't treat the armor like you would a BB, you'll regret it.  :teethhappy:  Just be prepared to run away from all the killer bunnies in WOWS no matter what line you play. 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

You sure about that? I can pen and citadel hindenberg fine even with chapayev. I find it harder to citadel zao troll armor especially if it goes slightly angled.

Yeap. German CAs, while supposedly best hidden citadels, lets a lot of penetrations in. That's why I don't consider Hindenburg the best survivable cruiser anymore, specially after Moskva was introduced and the Minotaur with smoke and super healing serum consumable. I've never, ever managed to citadel nor deal a high damage salvo a Moskva bow-on 15km+ using even a Yamato. That thing is a beast when it comes to tanking AP shots.
Edited by Deicide

341 posts
4,202 battles

And meanwhile when I try playing cruisers at tier 6 and up...

Turning away from an enemy battleship, at least 45 degree angle against him and increasing, cutting speed to throw off the salvo he just fired, almost all his shells go in the water...

...last 2 shells somehow disperse away from others and I take an odd 20000 damage.

(Salt)

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

And meanwhile when I try playing cruisers at tier 6 and up...

Turning away from an enemy battleship, at least 45 degree angle against him and increasing, cutting speed to throw off the salvo he just fired, almost all his shells go in the water...

...last 2 shells somehow disperse away from others and I take an odd 20000 damage.

(Salt)

RNGesus guided shells. when the game wants to defeat you badly. Had that a lot of times already. fire a badly aimed salvo because a random DD suddenly appeared nearby and now turning your ship. all shots landed 300m~ away from the ship except one that citadeled a bow-on BB and detonated it. WTF?
Edited by Deicide

[LBAS]
4,596 posts
26,047 battles

If by survivable, you mean in terms of tanking capability, then here are the cruisers which I consider quite tanky, or at least tankier than others :

But as others said, you can't hope to reliably bounce BB shells in a cruisers. Even the Moskva can still be lolpenned by Yamato or plunging fire from USN freedom shells. Your concealment and maneuverablity will always be your strongest armor.

correct

892 posts
7,853 battles

Minotaur/Neptune

​Only if they manage to stay out of harm's way, which is greatly assisted with their own smoke. At higher tiers however, beware the enemies' radar ships. The strategy with british cruisers is to keep moving and weaving when no smoke is available and in the open. Maps with islands is where the british cruisers will excel

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Hindenburg's armor excels when it comes to CQC engagement especially <5km. At longer range its vulnerable to AP plunging fire.

Zao's turtleback is sloped higher but has a higher citadel hitbox, I don't see how its anymore survivable than Hindenburg. Prolly has to do with it having better rudder shift time which makes it easier to negate damage. 

When angled yes, both ships are black holes to AP shells, but when broadside on you really have to blame RNG or yourself if you don't manage to citadel Zao.

Yeap. German CAs, while supposedly best hidden citadels, lets a lot of penetrations in. That's why I don't consider Hindenburg the best survivable cruiser anymore, specially after Moskva was introduced and the Minotaur with smoke and super healing serum consumable. I've never, ever managed to citadel nor deal a high damage salvo a Moskva bow-on 15km+ using even a Yamato. That thing is a beast when it comes to tanking AP shots.

Because the completely-not-russian-biased 50mm of Stalinium deck armor Moskva has completely negates any possible long range damage even from Yamato shells. Only chance to pen it at long range is when the shells find that sweet 25mm bow armor nobody bothers to shoot because its so small. Also worth mentioning is its internal citadel that is angled inwards, further reducing the chance to citadel it from long range.

Moskva armor scheme is the opposite of Hindenburg, which is also the reason why its doing so well in most games.

980 posts
12,782 battles

My highest tiered cruisers are the Pensacola and the Yorck. Personally, if played right, I can get pretty good damage out of both of them (80k+). It terms of survivability, I don't think most cruisers can face battleships well, but if you angle against enemy cruisers where necessary, the Yorck I think has very good survivability.

112 posts
5,463 battles

The Baltimore is a tanky beast when angled. When not angled.... Not so much (like any cruiser).

I have hinden for KM CAs and it also fairly tanky, Balti is most tanky so far in my experience though.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
469 posts
9,975 battles

Wait, no one mentioned kutuzov?

that thing get rekt by HE, AP, and random torpedoes when smoking. While she does have smoke and thus actually more survivable than typical t8 cruisers, she's not as good as RN CL when her smoke got torped. 

151 posts
10,475 battles

I'm currently grinding Chapy, NO, Hipper and Mogami - and am also very interested in this as I doubt I will have the willpower to continue the grind with all four beyond this Tier, and I certainly won't have the credits. 

I've had good luck 'tanking' against BBs in both the Hipper and Chapy (you know how it is: once you get to the point where you know you can't turn. . . . and have to go for the torp kill). Both can take a fair bit of punishment, both are dangerous in close with torps; and both are also handy at long range. The Hipper took a while to grow on me (. . . it's the first cruiser I've played that is effective with AP against BBs, even at 15kms, which has been a bit of a revelation). And I have concealment of 10.9 km, which makes life a lot easier. 

NO and Mogami seem like they are made of glass to me and, given that neither have long range - I am a bit confused about how to approach them. Neither can use fight up close with torps. Having said that, Mogami is fun and I like it. Once I get CE for the captain, it'll be gold. I'm still grinding the upgardes though. Hopefully NO will grow on me too. 

My current order of fun would be Hipper, Mogami/Chapy > > > > >  NO. 

1,386 posts
8,365 battles

I think DM isn't really that tanky, her magazine citadel is exposed above waterline compared to the underwater magazine of a Balti, but Cleveland is quite tanky for her tier.

Any probably not Yorck, I think RN 152mm/50 Mark XXIII can citadel her at about 10km away, which isn't really a nice protection.

As for RN, Fiji Belfast and Edinburgh are pretty tanky for the British, especially when the top tiers are essentially two big floating citadels

Sign in to follow this