Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BroOfBrighton

RN : they didnt get better!

13 comments in this topic

231 posts
3,548 battles

from the day of conception to Release , the RN line of cruiser have been a testing advance to say the least 

I [although very new] found their movements , awkard , out of character , and a bit sad.

Although i disliked them from the T1 ship, i stuck to it , and advanced the line to the Fiji , thats where my line finished , i couldnt get it right 

a very nice looking ship , but as they cimbed in Tier , they became more frustrating to the point i gave them up and sold the rest off 

I kept the fiji as a reminder to myself , that with all the cunning , and  awesomeness i possess , i could not get them to work :(

worldofwarships%202016-12-05%2019-53-55-89_zpst75rwavr.png

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

It's quite frustrating to play RN CL

They can do decent damage, but they're too vulnerable

Having high DPM, low survivability

It seems that sniping would be their role

but in fact, they have short range and short effective range

so they have to engage the enemy

As a CL, they are supposed to hunt DD

but they have AP only, which often overpen or get bounced by DD

yes, even WG claimed that their AP seldom overpen

I do seeing a large proportion of my shells overpen on DD

even worse when it comes to the trajectory, it is impossible to hit a DD far away

I can't figure out what is the right role of a RN CL

WG claimed that the role of RN CL is fire supporting in short/medium range

they are supposed to fire on distracted enemy

But in reality,

due to the RN CL's vulnerability, many people will take RN CL as the first priority

even though there are allies, people like to shoot at RN CL first

the only situation that you can fire support with a RN CL without receiving shots is that:

the allies approaches the enemy and you(RN CL) stay at a certain distance

but note that you need to get close to effectively use your guns

if you do approach the enemy, he will always shoot at you first unless your ally is going to ram

Such strategy is simply too passive

You can only work well when your ally engage the enemy

but even in this situation you cannot get close to maximize your firepower

it is not fun, simply not fun

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

so far i like tier VI leander, i always go with my dd so i can abuse their smoke. with enough DD on the match i can go smoke hopping forever using friendly or enemy smoke.

the problem is with low DD match and when allies are too afraid to move forward. their guns are really poor at long ranges. and without much ship on the front, enemy can focus and sink RN ship really fast. also for some reason their citadel attract IJN BB shell like magnet.

146 posts
10,223 battles

I'm grinding in the Emerald at the moment - I can't think of a ship I've played that felt as under-powered for its Tier. Add in the terrible Tier V match making and BB meta (putting up against Nagatos and Scharhorsts 90% of the time) and it's pretty hard to have fun in. 

The upper tier ships look awesome - a Minotaur murdered my Amagi recently . . . and that kind of gameplay looks fun. But it doesn't work at lower tiers. If I'm lucky enough to get in smoke, close enough to shoot at a BB, I do barely any damage. I can't penetrate the hulls, and the superstructure doesn't yield enough damage in comparison to HE in an omaha . . every other cruiser seems to do way more AP damage if I show broadside.  I've read that the line starts to shine at Leander - so will keep playing until I get there . . . fingers crossed. Am worried by your experience OP. 

Super Tester
802 posts

I'm grinding in the Emerald at the moment - I can't think of a ship I've played that felt as under-powered for its Tier. Add in the terrible Tier V match making and BB meta (putting up against Nagatos and Scharhorsts 90% of the time) and it's pretty hard to have fun in. 

The Emerald and the Danae before it are definitely the weak points on the tree. I was punching holes in their citadel with Gremy HE after all. 

231 posts
3,548 battles

I've read that the line starts to shine at Leander - so will keep playing until I get there . . . fingers crossed. Am worried by your experience OP. 

Dont get me wrong , the Fiji is a fine ship , i liked it , until I [mainly a dd and BB player] found it was no tank , and everything you did you had to play it like a DD , maybe ill have another try at the Fiji.

It might be a second thing i need to try :)

119 posts
2,076 battles

I just bought Fiji (thanks for the sales WG),  so am I in for a rough time? 

As long as you understand the ship and how to play it, no.

Do this and you'll be a unicum crushing newbs in no time! 

Sign in to follow this