You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TroyTempest

When do we get some Royal Navy Capital Ships?

45 comments in this topic

2 posts

Can somebody tell me why there are so few major Royal Navy Capital ships in WOW?

With the exception of the 'old lady' HMS Warspite, there is nothing representing one the largest and dominant naval forces for a major part of the 20th century- its a damn shame its not currently as well represented well as the other Navy's in WOW.

HMS KGV, Repulse, Renown, Nelson, Royal Oak, Prince of Wales and...of course HMS Hood. Where the hell are any of them?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Can somebody tell me why there are so few major Royal Navy Capital ships in WOW?

With the exception of the 'old lady' HMS Warspite, there is nothing representing one the largest and dominant naval forces for a major part of the 20th century- its a damn shame its not currently as well represented well as the other Navy's in WOW.

HMS KGV, Repulse, Renown, Nelson, Royal Oak, Prince of Wales and...of course HMS Hood. Where the hell are any of them?

Did they announced the British Battleship line in WoWS? Source?

If the interviews are true, so far..... they plan for German destroyers, Soviet Battleships, & Italian tech tree.

Edited by Mingfang47

556 posts
8,197 battles

Not until the RU BBs are released apparently;^)

I was going to contend the idea the Soviet Union had battleships outside of the unicorn but after a quick Wiki search it turns out they had a few during the war

63 posts
1,554 battles

Well Admiral_Hood, you're not the only person who's extremely disappointed at the gross under-representation in this game of not only one of the world's formerly mightiest navies but also extremely influential in terms of significant designs introduced in the 20th century (search Google for Chuck Hawk Significant Capital Ships).

As a newcomer to this game - which I'm currently enjoying - I was extremely disappointed to see the gross under-representation of the UK tech-tree, at this stage, nothing more than a token nod, particularly in comparison to the German and Russian tech-trees and I was beginning to wonder if this was going to be a market-biased smorgasbord of BS OP units for all nations bar the UK, again, as in WoT.

I take particular exception to the complete omission of CVs in the UK tech-tree.

We have the Hosho, first commissioned purpose-built CV, the Langley but no friggin HMS Argus, the first full-length flat-deck?!? The Royal Navy entered WWII with seven CVs but you wouldn't know it with the current development.

Since I can't link to Wikipedia, you'll have to look up History of Aircraft Carriers yourselves to check.

(Imagine a picture of the HMS Argus here... I don't seem to have earned enough posting cred to add any links...)

Does this mean I'm going to take my ball and go home?

Hell no! It's still early days for me yet, so I haven't quite got to the stage yet of suffering 10 straight losses because of some ropey MM algorithm.

I'm loving most of the tech-trees that I've followed thus far.

But I'm also a strong believer in impartiality and fairness when it comes to history and one of my pet peeves is the distortion that is "Hollywood History", which the tech-trees seem to represent at the moment.

And I sure as shipt (a Charlie Drake term) would not like to see any other national trees started until the RN gets fleshed-out a little more - if it can be done for Germany and Russia then surely the formerly world's greatest navy should get more than a line of cruisers, and only a prem BB, for crying out loud...
Then we need the Italian and French navies :) 

Edited by Captain_Fathom

63 posts
1,554 battles

Ryusuke - check my profile.

I'm old enough to realise that development takes some time, moreso in game balance, but the physics models are already there, it requires the ship models and assigning the appropriate specs to keep the ships balanced.

I also do realise that the game itself is still in the early stages - naval games are few and far between, possibly a poor third in action sense in comparison to aircraft and tanks - so development will be relatively slow and under-funded.

So no, it won't happen overnight but I would like to see it happen before ships-that-never-were appear for other tech-trees.

Just so you know, it's not good form start a response like that - it's generally seen as being disrespectful.

Not everyone who wants to see things added in-game is the mindless idiot for whom that kind of response is given.

A beta-tester, of all people, should know better. How do I know? I've been a beta-tester too :) 

Edited by Captain_Fathom

218 posts
3,788 battles

Ryusuke - check my profile.

I'm old enough to realise that development takes some time, moreso in game balance, but the physics models are already there, it requires the ship models and assigning the appropriate specs to keep the ships balanced.

I also do realise that the game itself is still in the early stages - naval games are few and far between, possibly a poor third in action sense in comparison to aircraft and tanks - so development will be relatively slow and under-funded.

So no, it won't happen overnight but I would like to see it happen before ships-that-never-were appear for other tech-trees.

Just so you know, it's not good form start a response like that - it's generally seen as being disrespectful.

Not everyone who wants to see things added in-game is the mindless idiot for whom that kind of response is given.

A beta-tester, of all people, should know better. How do I know? I've been a beta-tester too :) 

From what I learn about RN BB, the design emphasized more on building as many ships as possible to patrol their global spanning colonies, but at the expense of the individual ship specs. So you have a latest BB with mediocre spec, like the King George V class. Of course, there's some paper design that has impressive weaponry like the N3 class which will have the same gun as the Yamato. I guess this is the problem in fitting which type of RN BB to be in what tier.

980 posts
12,617 battles

French Navy too!!!!

There's some good stuff with the French during WWII...like the Richelieu-class, basically Dunkerques with 4x2 15inch guns.

Development takes a while, lets enjoy the Pacific battleships before we get more Atlantic/Mediterranean ships (minus Germany)

Look on the bright side - without the RN DDs, BBs and CVs, theres less grinding to do for now. Also gives you more time to train up some British captains for the time when the actual ships are introduced. 

Don't forget the Italian BB line as well - that Littorio class would be a powerful one. 

99 posts
1,653 battles

Even if they built them all at once there would be a problem of balancing everything at once, the staggered format allows them to balance things somewhat each release.

I doubt the development is under-funded because there are lots of ship fans buying everything available and demanding more; but adding more staff doesn't necessarily scale.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Even if they built them all at once there would be a problem of balancing everything at once, the staggered format allows them to balance things somewhat each release.

I doubt the development is under-funded because there are lots of ship fans buying everything available and demanding more; but adding more staff doesn't necessarily scale.

I can't see funding being a problem,WG released 2 new games this year.

And wouldn't mind betting that they are raking in the cash on the Santa crates given what people are getting out of them!

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

May I ask which part of his response was disrespectful? IMO you teaching a beta tester how to write a proper response on your 3rd forum post is disrespectful.

99 posts
1,653 battles

Well, soonish, but not sooner than Q2 2017 perhaps? Some rumours said that RN BBs are already in drawing boards....

They are probably looking into a lot of possibilities for what ship lines can work and that has no bearing on what is next.

The rate of previous line release is what 3-4 months? so if Russian BB and Italian whatever are next then it'll probably be a while.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

Content makers on YouTube have time and again offered a possible explanation about this and I have to agree with them. One of the often quoted possibility is due to the gun calibres of thr ships. Unlike USN, JP or DE, there is an increase in gun calibre as it tiers up unlike the RN. 

Yes HMS Lion may have been built but even if she's the "RN equivalent of Yamato or Montana", her gun calibre is smaller in comparison to the others. 

The other possibility might be that MOD may have not released the paper designs as readily as for the other nations. So let's all have some tra and patiently wait for RN BBs. 

I on the other hand am looking forward to see how they're goong to do RN CVs. Owning to their armoured design, they may be more resistent to bombs and gun fire and have higher HP and also owing to her armoured design, they generally have smaller CAG than JP and USN CVs

353 posts
5,015 battles

RN BB might also be harder to balance. Take Nelson class for example, spec wise it is the Izumo's sibling. KGV cant be anything higher than a t8 due to 14inch guns. RN had many classes of battlecruisers that were also scrapped due to naval holiday. hood, tiger, lion, renown can all compete for t5 or t6.

And as others had said, maybe MOD wasnt too willing to share their drafts for battleships as well.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

RN BB might also be harder to balance. Take Nelson class for example, spec wise it is the Izumo's sibling. KGV cant be anything higher than a t8 due to 14inch guns. RN had many classes of battlecruisers that were also scrapped due to naval holiday. hood, tiger, lion, renown can all compete for t5 or t6.

And as others had said, maybe MOD wasnt too willing to share their drafts for battleships as well.

I'm quite curious as to why everyone compares the Nelson to Izumo, when historically, the Nelson's compatriots were the Colorado-class and Nagato-class ships.

353 posts
5,015 battles

I'm quite curious as to why everyone compares the Nelson to Izumo, when historically, the Nelson's compatriots were the Colorado-class and Nagato-class ships.

Because both had similar gun arrangement, similar armor, 16 inch guns as well.