Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LunaticRed

Carrier's chrysalis

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
341 posts
2,790 battles

Hi,

There has been a recent QnA, which has a lot of questions and answers regarding changes to CVs. The post can be found here: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/12/01/wows-qa-1st-december-2016/

4. At the moment, no changes are planned for the carriers. Currently, the carriers are situational and skill-dependent. Although little time was invested in them in 2016, this will change in 2017. The developers want to see more carriers in battles, and to narrow the skill-gap between the good and not-so-good players by introducing better interface.

Now here is the problem. WG has made some serious changes to CVs in 2016, despite what “little time” was given to changing CVs. Off the top of my head, what I can think of is the AA change, Plane rework, economic changes and the exp allocation change (0.5.12). I certainly won’t be biased and say that these changes has caused a decrease in the amount of players playing CV. If you look at the statistics over the past year, there definitely has been a decline of carriers. I’m sure you can infer the correlation of the patches with the numbers yourself.

As for the changes to carriers – WG believes that the UI is the problem that carriers face. Many other players also believe that the UI also hampers them. From my point of view, this is a blatant excuse for their performance. Any good player will adapt to the changes and make the necessary adjustments to perform better. My thoughts is that the UI has nothing to do with the reason why so many players are put off by carriers. A carrier requires many factors when playing: which ships to target, which ships to avoid, protecting your allies, protecting your planes, location of your carrier etc. All these factors put off players massively towards CVs.

What worries me is that the development of CV WG wishes to push towards is not one they understand. If they wished to increase the amount of players to CVs, surely the patches in 2016 would’ve helped increased the CV players, yet we have seen a decline in players. How would WG push more CV players if their changes to CVs all punish them, especially the good players? As you’ve surely seen, there has been many games where people have been dealing 150-200k damage and they get a measly 1.5k base exp and lose 50k credits. To narrow the skill gap by changing the UI is like saying you want to get oranges by planting watermelon seeds.

11. Some fighters, but not all, will be able to attack ships. They are already being modeled and produced.

Fighters are meant to protect the fleet and your own fighters, not attack enemies. Letting them attack surface ships is definitely a poor choice. I’m sure this is a no-brainer as you would want your friendly CV to protect you with his fighters rather than attack the enemy ships.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Agreed to all your points. SO basing from their answers, we can expect no good changes coming for the CVs then. They don't want to accept the bad decisions they've done to the CVs. Now, I trully don't regret selling my Midway for $$$.

IMO they should drastically reduce the scouting capabilities, too, of all fighters and attack planes and introduce a new dedicated scouting planes.

381 posts
9,957 battles

The UI are actually limiting the maximum possible skill cap imo. I heavily dislike WG's idea of shortening the gap between the good and bad players. If there is anything this game needs to have more, it would be a more explicit discrimination between good and bad play. 

59 posts
4,533 battles

How to narrow the skill gap:

- remove Air Supremacy

Average CV players (like me), don't even have a 15pt captain yet. Reaching that part requires a lot of time to develop one's skills. So I would oftentimes assume that whenever I meet a 15pt CV, he is more skilled than me, and amplified by the fact that I will most likely lose because his squadrons, regardless of skill, is superior to mine.

Sign in to follow this