Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Harugumo

Akizuki-Overhyped DD. Review+Simple guide

26 comments in this topic

634 posts
6,315 battles

n96A71A.jpgThe Akizuki, with short reload, fast turret transverse and decent range, it almost looks like it is the game changer for IJN DDs, the truly impressive gunboat, but is it?

It IS overhyped.

(Put all the TLDR things in the spoiler, you might want to read it first)

As having played it with a 15-point captain, I can say that it is definitely a decent ship, but at this stage, not one I would enjoy as much as I hoped it did. 

One thing people often overlooked in Akizuki’s guns are its penetration. The 10cm HE shells have a horrible penetration-not enough to penetrate most DDs. Yep, you read that right.
The fact is that I used AP much more than I did with HE. HE in a gun fight with Benson is SUICIDE, read the words. Yes, you can fire like 8 shells while Benson can fire only 5, but those are 127mm HE rounds which GUARANTEES causing considerable damage on your ship. Your HE is hopeless against Benson’s hulls, and AP is very inconsistent: over-penetration, and ricochet means that you have to put much more shells in the Benson to kill it. The same holds true for when Akizuki is fighting other US and Soviet DDs.

Well, is it unplayable? No, but you just have to adapt to a different style. 

I will assume you have read the things in the spoiler, so lets move on.

How to use Akizuki’s guns when firing against BBs and CAs:
1.    Fire HE until two fires or more are set.
2.    Fire AP at superstructure.
3.    As soon as fires have died out, repeat step 1.
How to use Akizuki’s guns when firing against DDs:
1.    If you are 11km-8km away from the enemy (meaning neither of you can hit each other reliably), fire HE or AP, and hope they will hit.
2.    As soon as you get into 8km (or a distance which both of you can hit each other accurately), use AP only.

3. Different DDs have different armour, Japanese DDs have worser armour than US and Soviets and can be damaged with HE

Also things to note:

1. Although the guns claimed to have 1000m/s shell speed, they lose speed very quickly after that, and around 10 km you will get Atlanta Shell trajectory. This is not necessary a bad thing however, as you can fire over islands.

2. Speed is not very good-33 knots mean when you try to hunt down other DDs they can run away from you. However, the overall maneuverability is not bad, as she have good rudder shift.

3. Torpedoes, though less than its competitors (4), are quite decent, the speed is very good, so is the range-10km, you have a very big invisi-torp range. Also you got a Torpedo reload consumable, meaning you can fire 8 at one time. Well, the downside is that both the torpedo reload and the Torp Reload consumable have a fairly long reload time. 

4. AA. The akizuki has one of the best AA for DDs, and AA can do good damage to Tier 8 & below planes.

So setups, for upgrades: my current setup is this:

ZRJUdgK.jpg

Second slot:  you can use the AA mod, the Akizuki has one beast of AA for a DD, and AA setup is a very viable option

Third & Fourth slot: Your call, I chose rudder for both cases.

Fifth slot: You might be tempted to get the rudder shift, but MAY I suggest the concealment, not only does it gives you an upper edge in DD fights, you also have more invisi-firing range.

Captain skills:

Tier 1: BFT for quicker reload, or BoS to play it safe, your call.

Tier 2: Torpedo reload is not worth it as it is not a torpedo oriented ship, Last stand gives much more benefit, as you will often find yourself in a gunfight,

Tier 3: Hard choice, but superintendent is really worth it as  you have three consumable slots: Engine Boost, Smoke and Torp Reload

Tier 4: As you wont be using HE much, DONT get Demo expert, AFT gives more invisi-firing range and More AA to troll CVs. You can get SE, but I personally opted for a more offensive skill.

Tier 5: CE, a must, boosts invis-firing range and for giving you an upperhand in gunfights.

ur8s0hV.jpg

Edited by TorpedoBeat

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,606 battles

n96A71A.jpgThe Akizuki, with short reload, fast turret transverse and decent range, it almost looks like it is the game changer for IJN DDs, the truly impressive gunboat, but is it?

It IS overhyped.

(Put all the TLDR things in the spoiler, you might want to read it first)

As having played it with a 15-point captain, I can say that it is definitely a decent ship, but at this stage, not one I would enjoy as much as I hoped it did. 

One thing people often overlooked in Akizuki’s guns are its penetration. The 10cm HE shells have a horrible penetration-not enough to penetrate most DDs. Yep, you read that right.
The fact is that I used AP much more than I did with HE. HE in a gun fight with Benson is SUICIDE, read the words. Yes, you can fire like 8 shells while Benson can fire only 5, but those are 127mm HE rounds which GUARANTEES causing considerable damage on your ship. Your HE is hopeless against Benson’s hulls, and AP is very inconsistent: over-penetration, and ricochet means that you have to put much more shells in the Benson to kill it. The same holds true for when Akizuki is fighting other DDs.

Well, is it unplayable? No, but you just have to adapt to a different style. 

I will assume you have read the things in the spoiler, so lets move on.

How to use Akizuki’s guns when firing against BBs and CAs:
1.    Fire HE until two fires or more are set.
2.    Fire AP at superstructure.
3.    As soon as fires have died out, repeat step 1.
How to use Akizuki’s guns when firing against DDs:
1.    If you are 11km-8km away from the enemy (meaning neither of you can hit each other reliably), fire HE or AP, and hope they will hit.
2.    As soon as you get into 8km (or a distance which both of you can hit each other accurately), use AP only.

Also things to note:

1. Although the guns claimed to have 1000m/s shell speed, they lose speed very quickly after that, and around 10 km you will get Atlanta Shell trajectory. This is not necessary a bad thing however, as you can fire over islands.

2. Speed is not very good-33 knots mean when you try to hunt down other DDs they can run away from you. However, the overall maneuverability is not bad, as she have good rudder shift.

3. Torpedoes, though less than its competitors (4), are quite decent, the speed is very good, so is the range-10km, you have a very big invisi-torp range. Also you got a Torpedo reload consumable, meaning you can fire 8 at one time. Well, the downside is that both the torpedo reload and the Torp Reload consumable have a fairly long reload time. 

4. AA. The akizuki has one of the best AA for DDs, and AA can do good damage to Tier 8 & below planes.

So setups, for upgrades: my current setup is this:

ZRJUdgK.jpg

Second slot:  you can use the AA mod, the Akizuki has one beast of AA for a DD, and AA setup is a very viable option

Third & Fourth slot: Your call, I chose rudder for both cases.

Fifth slot: You might be tempted to get the rudder shift, but MAY I suggest the concealment, not only does it gives you an upper edge in DD fights, you also have more invisi-firing range.

Captain skills:

Tier 1: BFT for quicker reload, or BoS to play it safe, your call.

Tier 2: Torpedo reload is not worth it as it is not a torpedo oriented ship, Last stand gives much more benefit, as you will often find yourself in a gunfight,

Tier 3: Hard choice, but superintendent is really worth it as  you have three consumable slots: Engine Boost, Smoke and Torp Reload

Tier 4: As you wont be using HE much, DONT get Demo expert, AFT gives more invisi-firing range and More AA to troll CVs. You can get SE, but I personally opted for a more offensive skill.

Tier 5: CE, a must, boosts invis-firing range and for giving you an upperhand in gunfights.

ur8s0hV.jpg

Can;t penetrate Benson/ Tashkent / Akizuki and up,

others are ok because bow armour is 12~16mm and the exact AKZK HE pen is 16.6mm

And should beware of her ship length, CV torp drops are deadly and you arent going to torpedo beat.

Edited by R3negade

634 posts
6,315 battles

And should beware of her ship length, CV torp drops are deadly and you arent going to torpedo beat.

Rudder shifts are quite good actually

Beta Tester
9 posts
651 battles

Was expecting to have an incredibly bad day in my Kiev when the Akizuki came out.

So far its been business as usual, I was expecting a US style gunboat minigun death machine (to go on the impression I got from youtubers), instead, they spend most of their time missing shots and giving up on me after a few barrages.

1,162 posts

So basically you need to be the only T8 DD and topdog to see the massive firepower she got...

4,163 posts
1,877 battles

The rudder-shift and turning circle isn't big enough to evade a good drop. Ironically, for an AA destroyer, Akizuki's most vulnerable to t8+ carriers. Her AA eats t6/t7 planes for breakfast, at least.

Still, the AP DPM is no joke. I'd forgo using HE entirely, to be honest, since superstructure spamming with AP melts ships really fast, whilst the fires are way too inconsistent. Akizuki's not blatantly OP, but her skill ceiling is ridiculously high - in the right hands, she's an absolute monster.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Akizuki's not blatantly OP, but her skill ceiling is ridiculously high - in the right hands, she's an absolute monster.

But somehow it easy to counter by other nation DDs. 

And the speed is so pathetic even Kagerou is faster.. Tashkent can easily catch up and brutally murder it..

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Akizuki is such an inconsistent ship, but its undoubtedly the most fun I've had after Khabarovsk (well it is an IJN T8 Khabarovsk)

Very very situational but incredibly deadly when it gets on the right spot. Like Syanda said, screw the HE. Just load AP and spam it.

At 6km and above its AP shells won't be overpenning DD hulls, it can deal 2k damage/salvo against broadside DDs and when you have 2.7s reload, you're gonna melt things up really quick.

I just wish its faster like Shimakaze Khabarovsk, hue.

634 posts
6,315 battles

Akizuki is such an inconsistent ship, but its undoubtedly the most fun I've had after Khabarovsk (well it is an IJN T8 Khabarovsk)

Very very situational but incredibly deadly when it gets on the right spot. Like Syanda said, screw the HE. Just load AP and spam it.

At 6km and above its AP shells won't be overpenning DD hulls, it can deal 2k damage/salvo against broadside DDs and when you have 2.7s reload, you're gonna melt things up really quick.

I just wish its faster like Shimakaze Khabarovsk, hue.

yeah Im dumping my speed flags on her. The speed really sucks when u are trying to catch other DDs.

4,163 posts
1,877 battles

Essentially any DD *cannot* show it's broadside to Akizuki. In my experience, though, a lot of them do because they want to get off their torpedoes in a knife fight. Considering Akizuki gets off 2-3 salvoes to every one salvo, and 10cm AP shells to the midsection just melt DDs, it's funny when that happens.

Doesn't mean she's a good knife-fighter - but any ship engaging Akizuki has to be pretty damn careful about how much broadside they show. It's gonna be a real nasty surprise for some DD captains who're used to unmasking their tubes/rear guns in a fight.

Funnily enough, a lot of BB and CA players will just outright run from the stream of shells instead of closing in for the kill. Pretty useful psychological effect.

634 posts
6,315 battles

Essentially any DD *cannot* show it's broadside to Akizuki. In my experience, though, a lot of them do because they want to get off their torpedoes in a knife fight. Considering Akizuki gets off 2-3 salvoes to every one salvo, and 10cm AP shells to the midsection just melt DDs, it's funny when that happens.

Doesn't mean she's a good knife-fighter - but any ship engaging Akizuki has to be pretty damn careful about how much broadside they show. It's gonna be a real nasty surprise for some DD captains who're used to unmasking their tubes/rear guns in a fight.

Funnily enough, a lot of BB and CA players will just outright run from the stream of shells instead of closing in for the kill. Pretty useful psychological effect.

Yah, Akizuki is kinda like an atlanta in some way, just spam those shells and they magically ran away

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

her HE is laughable, that's all

Dont forget how pathetic her speed is, 33knt !!! so slow !!!

Cruiser can easily chase Duckizuki down, combine with only 4 torpedoes she lacking a stoping power (even using Torpedoes reload consumable is just 8).

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Dont forget how pathetic her speed is, 33knt !!! so slow !!!

Cruiser can easily chase Duckizuki down, combine with only 4 torpedoes she lacking a stoping power (even using Torpedoes reload consumable is just 8).

i was hoping they give her British CL Manuveurbility

it trashed left and right

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

i was hoping they give her British CL Manuveurbility

it trashed left and right

I dont actually think WG want IJN DD to be competitive :D:D:D 

Anyways i think Akizuki can be fun to play if its faster.. i think ill stick with Benson, Lo Yang and Tashkent.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I dont actually think WG want IJN DD to be competitive :D:D:D 

nerf after nerf after nerf, not particular buff other than the fact Fubuki goes to tier 6

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i really wish she has AA barrage skill. her size and speed will make her so easy to drop. not to mention saipan 7 stock dive bombers are fatal for her. if wg is planning to do CV rework next year i hope they add AA barrage for her too.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Do Akizuki shells have rainbow arcs trajectory (like that of US dd ) or flat arcs (like russian DD ) ??

no her shell are is pretty much flat. but her HE is shit so you can't do much if you are against higher tier unlike other DD.

her AP can deal good chuck of damage per salvo on broadsiding target but can't do anything to angled target, even a tier 8 dd.

her main weakness is her slow speed and huge turning circle. it feels like her handling is worst than tashkent.

[WOLF]
Alpha Tester
60 posts
3,641 battles

The Over-Hyped came from stats when it still pre-nerfed in test

After the test , WG nerfed it and now it was bad as we can see.

381 posts
9,984 battles

Do Akizuki shells have rainbow arcs trajectory (like that of US dd ) or flat arcs (like russian DD ) ??

within 8km it's like russian, then gradually become higher till max range. At 12km it's almost like USN.

634 posts
6,315 battles

within 8km it's like russian, then gradually become higher till max range. At 12km it's almost like USN.

the supposedly 1000m/s loses its speed faster than usain bolt running 100m

Sign in to follow this