You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Loosestping

Broken game mechanic, 2 Flint 1 CV div

35 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Skill based mm is a fail.

Shitter V Shitter eventually balance out at 50%.  Uni V Uni eventually balance out at 50%.  Then we are back to square one.

Fail? Ask the successful online games like DOTA 2 if skill based MM is a fail.

Yes it'll balance out at 50%, but overall satisfaction will be higher.  Weaklings will be weeded out and be placed where they're supposed to be, while stronger, better players will be promoted and faced with other stronger players. The only downside of this kind of MM is that it needs a really large playerbase, which this game lacks.

[-BRO-]
355 posts
20,190 battles

I have encountered one of these myself. it is both the fact that you have 2 unicum R! players behind the helm as well as the Teamwork on the enemy team and complete and utter lack on the team I was on that lead to defeat. Most teams are like chickens with their heads cut off.

In that Battle I was in a belfast so I could counter them easily but every single time I was spotted i was the focus of everyone on the enemy team smoking up  and activating radar brought them meant I could hit them but the couldn't hit me and because of the headless chickens teamwork on my team I had no support versus; 1 minekaze, 2 flints, CV, 1  Bayern and atleast one other DDt all working to find and kill me.  One fuso got a Kraken I did my own  hp in damage  2/3 of it on the Flints.

[TDA]
Super Tester
4,738 posts
5,553 battles

Once they reach the upper ranks they become just one of the flock and drop back to 50%.  So they end up back in the kiddies pool again where the shitters have an overinflated winrate due to being balanced by other baddies. 

[POI]
Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Is this thread suppose to be conversation about 2 Flint and 1 CV ?? :D:D:D

Just some of my opinion about that set up, is sure strong but in domination this composition really weak in capping and against good DD player they can easily counter and able to control cap point effectively.

If Flint div team have bad DDs they have no chance.

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Once they reach the upper ranks they become just one of the flock and drop back to 50%.  So they end up back in the kiddies pool again where the shitters have an overinflated winrate due to being balanced by other baddies. 

I don't think you're familiar with MMR system.

[VOR]
Beta Tester
296 posts
13,804 battles

Its what happens when you put top-tier players on a near OP ship.

Super Tester
419 posts
4,408 battles

Get a 2 Indianapolis and 1 AS Ranger then... 

Still enemy team have 2 rank 1 player, sure life would be easier but it still damn hard to kill them

[LUOMU]
Super Tester
1,420 posts
11,322 battles

A smart division always makes difference.

Flint division is annoying and powerful, but this tactic is applicable with normal premium ships or even tech-tree ships.

I once played in a division of two Belfast, map was Okinawa, we camped by the island near A and we rained 6" HE all match long without even getting out of smoke and no enemy can ever get into A. Both reached top 5 in base EXP in this T9 match.

Also applicable with two Fijis, a USN DD can make this better(provide a larger "initial" smoke, AA , spotting and torps in case some BBs decide to push your smoke)

[JABBA]
Beta Tester
436 posts
3,891 battles

No, skill based MM would be biased towards the player instead of the ship they're driving. What happened if a skilled player on a DD goes up against an equally skilled player driving a radar light cruiser? Are you expecting them to have an even fight?

Skill based mm is a fail.

Shitter V Shitter eventually balance out at 50%.  Uni V Uni eventually balance out at 50%.  Then we are back to square one.

Fail? Ask the successful online games like DOTA 2 if skill based MM is a fail.

Yes it'll balance out at 50%, but overall satisfaction will be higher.  Weaklings will be weeded out and be placed where they're supposed to be, while stronger, better players will be promoted and faced with other stronger players. The only downside of this kind of MM is that it needs a really large playerbase, which this game lacks.

I don't think you're familiar with MMR system.

Deicide, you're correct.

ELO combined with "ranked" Tiers of players using a combination of various data points will ensure that the best will fight the best, or more accurately, you will fight at your skill level.

Dozens of successful online "PvP" game utilise ELOs and their variants.

But hey, let's all continue to accept that a exceeedingly high WR is utterly acceptable and the only reason for this statistical outlier has to be that they just haven't come against you :P 

I mean, we'd hate to learn from other successful PvP games and also, we'd hate to actually work for our battles when we could win like 80% of them ;)

Tee

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,500 battles

*snip*

I am familiar with MMR system as well, and I think that is a great system. Infact, Dota2 has the best match maker you can think of for an online game.

But you see, two important factors are missing, Dota2 is not a tier based game (nor does it have a class quota). and WoWs cannot be compared at all to the sheer size of Dota2 playerbase. So skill based MM in WoWs will be a full time ranked mode with a long queue time. I like the casual version of Randoms right now.

But if the playerbase grow big enough, ELO based MM system would be really nice.

Edited by icy_phoenix