Sign in to follow this  
daTungsten

Do's and Don'ts in Battleships

14 comments in this topic

Super Tester
316 posts
3,400 battles

So in an effort to combat Potato Battleships, I am making this simple Do's and Don't s (mainly don't s) for the mighty Battleship class, simply put, the decisions that a Battleship makes can affect the flow of the match, and your earnings at the end of the match, these are not so much "you should always" but "you should do it when and if possible",

And the larger the text THE MORE IMPORTANT IT IS

If anyone has some additions to add just leave them below.

DO NOT:

General BATTLESHIP Do Nots:

Sit at your maximum range for the large majority of the game: This is the Second BIGGEST MISTAKE people make in battleships all the time, Maximum range is not EFFECTIVE RANGE, it also negates the pressure that a Battleship can apply on the enemy team, some battleships can get away with it more then others but for the most part that range is for engaging fleeing targets when you are advancing

DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BROADSIDE EVERYTHING EVERY TIME YOU SEE IT:

This is THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU CAN MAKE IN A BATTLESHIP AND CRUISERS, firing all guns on a targets is awesome and everything HOWEVER you take MORE DAMAGE when you show broadside, THIS IS ALSO HOW YOU GET CITADELED OR DELETED BY TORPEDOES, The larger, less angled target you give an opponent the more they can damage you, if its another battleship, this means being Penetrated or Citadeled, for Enemy Destroyers or Cruisers with torpedoes, it means your gonna take multiple torpedoes hits and quite possibly Sink

DONT SPAM HE:

HE is great for starting fires and damaging angled targets, but AP is better for just about Everything except angled Battleships, even if you over pen your target that's still dealing damage, and if a cruiser happens to show you some broadside, that's a good chance to delete them in one salvo, or at lest do massive damage.

Its Dangerous to be alone, take a friend: Both the in game, and in history it is known that a lone battleship is a easy target, you are big and slow, perfect target for Carriers and Destroyers, stay with your team, or even better, be in a Division, if a fight is going sour fast you either need to fully commit and try and save your team, or run to the closest group of allies before the group you are with is destroyed,

this does NOT mean Play passive for most of the match because you are afraid of taking a hit

THE REPAIR BILL IS THE SAME IF YOU SURVIVE OR SINK: Being overly passive in a match is not only bad for your team, its bad for all the Credits you are saving for that brand new ship, doing too little or dying to quickly is worse off then taking damage to help assist  in cap a point, you even EARN credits depending on the amount of damage you avoid by angling or Evading.

DO NOT TURN OUT FROM TORPEDOES:

THIS WILL GET YOU KILLED, TURN INTO THEM INSTEAD, you may take 1 hit, but 1 is far better then 4 hits.

PLAN A RAM AHEAD OF TIME: NO POINT RAMMING THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU IF YOU CAN KILL HIM WITH GUNS AND THEN KILL THE GUY BEHIND HIM WITH GUNS OR BY RAMMING

GERMAN BATTLESHIP DO NOTS:

Sit at your maximum range for the large majority of the game IN A GERMAN BATTLESHIP EVER: This just an add on to a previous Don't, DO NOT SIT AT MAXIMUM RANGE IN A BATTLESHIP EVER, there are a few reasons for this:

• 1: Being that German Battleships DO NOT HAVE ARMOR FOR LONG RANGE ENGAGEMENTS, "But they have a lot of armor you may be thinking", YES, BELT ARMOR NOT DECK ARMOR, at longer ranges shells come down vertically onto the thinner deck armor, meaning all that all that belt armor you have has no power here.

• 2 German Guns are inaccurate at long range, I mean, sure its the same for all other battleships HOWEVER German Shell Dispersion is HORRIBLE even then.

• 3 German Belt and Turtle back armor is OP, What do i mean by Turtle Back armor? put simply YOU ARE VERY HARD TO CITADEL IN A BRAWL, the way German Battleships armor is set out if you play correctly you should be taking less damage from other battleships then what you are able to do to them, and Turtle back armor means you DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT BEING DELETED in a brawl, your citadel is very well protected by SUPERIOR ENGINEERING (*insert German Science is best in the world meme here*)

• 4 Guns, lots of guns, German Battleships have NUMEROUS Secondary Batteries, at first you might think "but i have large caliber guns, why do i need these popguns?" well those popguns might not hit hard, BUT THEY SHOOT VERY FAST AND SET TARGETS ON FIRE, at first they have a small range, but when tended to and upgraded they have ridiculous range as fire rate, they are not accurate sure, but that constant stream of shells does more damage then you think, and when you get to Bismark ohhhhh boy 

JAPANESE BATTLESHIP DO NOTS.

JAPANESE BATTLESHIPS ARE NOT JUST SNIPERS, THEY ARE FLANKERS AND BULLIES:

One thing people seem to overlook when they play the Japanese battleships IS EVERYTHING EXCEPT THEIR RANGE.

What people fail to notice are THEIR SPEED, SHAPE AND ARMAMENT, They are Generally Faster, LONG AND THIN, and have 127MM HE AND 140MM AP SECONDARIES, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BULLY ALL CLASSES OF SHIPS EFFECTIVELY.

The best example of this is the Tier 5 Battleship, one of my personal favorite ships THE KONGO.

THE KONGO IS NOT A SNIPER LIKE EVERYONE THINKS IT IS, IT IS THE FASTEST BATTLESHIP OF ITS TIER AND THIRD FASTEST AMONG THE BATTLESHIPS IT WILL FACE, ONLY THE SHARNHORST AND GNEISNAU ARE FASTER, but also HAS THE PERFECT BODY FOR BOUNCING SHELLS, THAT "THINNER" ARMOR DOES A BETTER JOB THEN THE FAT AMERICAN BOW OF THE NEW YORK WHICH LETS SHELLS PEN INSTEAD OF BOUNCING, BUT CAN ALSO BEAT ANY BATTLESHIPS OF TIER 4 OR 5 IN A BRAWL WHEN DONE CORRECTLY BY CIRCLING THEM SO YOUR GUNS ARE ALWAYS ON YOUR OPPONENT BUT THEY NEED TO KEEP TURNING THEIR GUNS TO FIRE.

AMERICAN BATTLESHIP DO NOTS:

WIP

General DO'S

BOWING IN  :

(Refer to the terms and slangs thread for more info, but basically the bow is the front of the ship)

This is one of the things you need to understand when using Battleships, learning when to bow in on something at the right time can make or break a fight, if you do it at the right time, you will mitigate or completely AVOID damage as well as apply pressure on the enemy.

This can mean pointing you Bow towards another battleship so you can get closer while making there shells bounce off your hull when angled correctly.(yes Ricocheting is a thing )

Pointing your bow towards an enemy Destroyer that's close enough to torpedo you is also a good thing to do, you make a smaller target for torpedoes or even completely dodge them before you see them, once a destroyer uses all his torpedoes on you he has NOTHING to do large amounts of damage to you for a good amount of time.

Get Close but not too close:

A battleship that is near the front line but not on the front line is a very dangerous and intimidating foe to face, the closer you are the more accurate your guns, but also makes your opponents keep an eye on you, and off someone else, YOU WILL TAKE DAMAGE, but staying aware and alert can allow you to reduce the amount you take

Keep an eye on the mini map:

Battleships, more then the other classes need to be aware of both you and your teams positioning and your opponents, a battleship in the right place at the right time can influence the match.

HAVE CONFIDENCE: If you are one of those players who is overly cautious and does not like to be the center of attention in a fight YOU ARE PLAYING THE WRONG SHIP CLASS!.

Playing as a Battleship means YOU ARE BEING WATCHED, People will react more to what a Battleship does then what a Cruiser does, if you suddenly become aggressive THE ENEMY WILL REACT

Edited by daTungsten

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Dont waste your full salvo on a very low HP target if you have allies nearby who can finish that target.

207 posts
8,178 battles

playing BB its simple...
dont broadside, bow on, a little bit angle, always with yor friend....
long range use HE close range start use AP and aim for super structure....

and always pay attention where is enemy DD...

and pray to RNG :trollface:

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

EU NA : do not ahow your broadside

Asia : show your broadside :hiding:

because they believe their ARP BB have Klein Field?

440 posts
3,379 battles

playing BB its simple...

dont broadside, bow on, a little bit angle, always with yor friend....

long range use HE close range start use AP and aim for super structure....

and always pay attention where is enemy DD...

and pray to RNG :trollface:

But why aim towards superstructure though? If you can just aim towards the waterline for glorious cits (unless that part is about HE...   eh, any range is available for HE)

440 posts
3,379 battles

because they believe their ARP BB have Klein Field?

No, it's because they believe that animu gods are going to save them :hiding:

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,788 battles

No, it's because they believe that animu gods are going to save them :hiding:

they think my armor so stronk! no one can citdael me

Moskva : they what?

98 posts
230 battles

I don't under stand how I can get close to the enemy at 15 knots when I have a kawachi and st Louis as teammates 

I got deleted but at least I did tons of damage

Sign in to follow this