You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

roon

10 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,845 battles

i'm actually strugling with this ship, AP feels great and so does HE for starting fires because i get DE, but i don't like the rudder shift and concealment, and the range which only 16km doesn't help either, whenever i get into range enemy BB always focus on me first and evading all those shell at 16km range with poor rudder shift is not that easy so is trying to get away with 14.5km detection range, my roon is still stock so maybe that's the reason and i don't have concealment expert yet, but what should i do with this ship? should i get rudder shift in slot 6 or concealment? and main battery reload or range increase in slot 3?

Super Tester
1,310 posts

my roon

reload mod on 3mil slot

rudder mod on 1 mil slot 

concealment on 2mil slot

and shes doing great

here is one of the good game in my RooN (all upgrades installed. hull stock. fcs stock. gun upgraded) : uTube

266 posts
5,142 battles

For me I used range increase and concealment module + concealment expert. While the increased DPM from reload mod is also great, I prefer more versatility in my Roon/Hindenburg. And I just can't ever like the 3 mil rudder shift mod, concealment is much more important in a cruiser.

Stock Roon is indeed a bit of a pain, but once fully upgraded, she is imo the best T9 cruiser in the game.

1,110 posts
7,850 battles

Well, seems like most people value concealment on Roon.

well, I traded rudder mod on Roon and Hipper. and Im enjoy it more than stealh upgrade.

Rudder used  with conjunction of acceleration, turned high tier german cruiser into agile beast. 6s responsive Rudder with quite tight turning radius is very enjoyable to drive 

Acceleration module makes these ship bleed speed less and recover speed twice as fast.

Ofc stock roon still slugish even with double rudder upgrade, but fully upgraded I consider roon to be the best T9 Cruiser.

the only complain were lack of Torpedoes (1 tube per sides is realy lack of alpha), weird gun layout might force you to show side more than you have too, but Rudder+Acceleration mod mostly solve this problem, allowing rear gun to shoot while keep it steep angle at the enemy - and not bleeding speed when doing it

my stats were not so potato with her, before rudder mod upgrade however I strugle a lot with Hipper, and even abandon her after few games. - sluggish, slow ship that turn like a brick. I try rudder mod on her, and feel great, realy great - The roon feel the same on stock, but after upgraded hull, with Rudder mod - she will impress you with her handling.

Roon need concealment though, so its advised to have CE captain. so your ship dont show on enemy map like sore thumb- even agility has its limit 

Edited by humusz

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,707 battles

The Roon was one of my favorite cruisers to play through. Yes range is an issue early on, try and close and have the enemy chase for your rear guns to just fire.

I have CE on mine and the concealment mod at slot 6 and with the gun range you can shoot away with impunity at times.

She actually had good secondaries as well with BFT/AFT so don't be shy to brawl when it suits you.

403 posts
8,352 battles

I put the range mod and the super rudder mod on mine. Her captain has AFT and CE, so my secondaries are basically a middle finger to any poor DD that wanders into hydro range. 

In Roon you either want to be fighting at range of more than 15km (so you can dodge shots), or less than 7km (because that is the range where the turtledeck becomes effective, plus the torpedoes and seccondaries)

Because CV numbers remain low, I decided to use hydro and not def AA, and it has saved me more times than def AA would.

Lastly you would want the upgraded guns first. With the range mod your range becomes workable (and becomes insane when you get the range upgrade). Stock hull is good enough to use for the initial hrind.

266 posts
5,142 battles

does with the range upgrade the dispersion still managable shooting at 17km+ ships?

Yes, the dispersion is still good even at 20km. But generally you wouldn't want to shoot anything other than HE at battleships at that range.

I only use that extra range when I'm already low hp and need to survive as long as possible. Or when I meet that 'special' enemy team who does nothing but running away the entire game.

295 posts
6,845 battles

well i maybe i'll try for range upgrade then, but still not sure for the last upgrade, because i use rudder shift on my hipper before.

maybe i should put dragon flags to get CE faster