Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheKommandant

How do I affect the match in mid-tier Soviet DDs?

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
9 posts
651 battles

I've been playing (suffering) the Soviet DDs for sometime. The less said of the tiers 2-4 the better, they are slowly getting better, but its not easy playing them at the best of times.

I'm finally at the Kiev and I'm really loving it, the blistering speed and laser guided guns have been great.

But what I'm noticing is that I appear wholly unable to affect the match in any noticeable way. I'll spot for people, I'll shoot up a DD occasionally and I'll give other ships the odd HE fire love, but other than that, the battle seems to be lost whether or not I'm there. Often, if I don't do anything dumb I'll survive to late game, at which point I'll notice that a BB on 20,000+ HP doesn't really give a fig about my little guns occasionally doing 1000 damage or starting a fire. Sure, I can spot, but usually my BBs are being shot up anyway and after the first salvo can see the enemy anyway. I can't do torpedo runs (lol) because with 4km range I'm committing suicide for no gain. The enemy is warned of my approach and all that happens is that I get blown out of the water and my torps miss. I've long given up on them. 

So, as a not terribly good Soviet DD driver, what am I meant to do to make a contribution to the match? It feels like I'm taking a slot away from a japanese DD who can make an appreciable difference with their super duper torps.

26 posts
1,989 battles

Okay, first of all, KEEP THE GUNS FIRING. Never stop shooting, set fires and annoy all of the BB captains. If you are being shot at, dodge and KEEP FIRING. Never stop firing. If a lot of people are shooting at you you pop smoke and KEEP FIRING like a little scum bag. If you have the opportunity be the one to stealth cap the objectives that no one is near. If you are getting focused whine like a little bitch and blame your team because the enemy team is not ever better than you, no, you team must suck. That is really about it, to do damage focus on your guns and KEEP FIRING.

Super Tester
7,583 posts
8,005 battles

Not sure if someone had already told you or not, try AP on battleship super structure or if they are broadside after setting 1-2 fires. You will be surprised to see how fast you can melt broadsiding ships with Russian DD AP. Also, when you kill a lot of them, you make great impact for sure.

EWRaBRz.jpg

1,054 posts
3,918 battles

1. Train yr finger to keep pressing the LMB non-stop. 

2. Harass BBs whenever possible. 

3. Support yr team DDs by covering them when capping. Most times,  you won't be the one capping. 

4. Keep mashing that LMB. 

44 posts
6,374 battles

Here's the thing, if you have plenty of other DDs on your side you should have a good game just sitting back and shelling. If you actually have to do front line DD stuff you won't last long.

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,628 battles

becum a sellfish

pop smoke far from your teammate, they spot for you and fire away...first set fire then AP as the guns so awesome you will do 2K or more even on BB

just keep firing and use the speed to avoid incumming shells

playing russian dd is just so exciting

980 posts
12,617 battles

i had fun with all the Russian DDs. I'm up to the Kiev now. As stated above, do not stop firing HE (and then AP after setting fire). Stay between 10-12km (If you have AFT) and your ship will be RIDICULOUSLY difficult to hit. 

No kidding, I once took on a Nagato 1vs1 on the side of the map. We were both isolated. I think I caused around 65k damage on it with guns only since I was on about 400 HP (about 200 hits and six fires) - it didn't manage to hit me once. I got reported 7 times for that (haha). This isn't the only time I got a kill like this, either. 

Just keep zig-zagging across the water and keep firing! Stay away from the Atlantas, Clevelands, American destroyers and (of courses), other Russian destroyers. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

Sign in to follow this