You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wolfe1138

Fire Damage Changes

23 comments in this topic

2 posts
4,165 battles

So I was thinking about ways that the game could be made more fun and for me one of the most annoying things is fires. Now I know that fires are a part of the game and I accept their place as a balancing factor, But when there is an enemy cruiser hiding behind an island lobbing shells over it and one hits and sets a fire again and again, just one goddamn shell from each salvo and you can't even shoot back, it gets old quick.

So maybe if fire chance was also linked to the amount of shells that hit so that a single shell less than battleship caliber could almost never start a fire or if there was a way for an allied ship to come alongside yours and assist with putting the fire out just to make the game play better. I am tired of getting hit with one high ex shell in my battleship after already using damage control (and I never use damage control for anything less than 2 fires or a flood) and being unable to even fight back just waiting for a single bloody fire to eat my last 4-5000 health and end my game. Rant over. Thoughts?

345 posts
3,668 battles

I don't know what your playstyle is but based on your stats, you're either ALWAYS overextending or ALWAYS out of position.

Maybe that explains why you're ALWAYS getting set on fire over and over again.

Edited by Loshirai14

1,174 posts
10,495 battles

when there is an enemy cruiser hiding behind an island lobbing shells over it and one hits and sets a fire again and again, just one goddamn shell from each salvo and you can't even shoot back

Just say you hate Atlanta and Cleveland when you're in a BB.:D

I don't wanna judge you based on your stats. But think of it, they are shooting over island at you meaning someone is spotting you try to get rid of them first. If it is a plane then try to kite the player. Eventually he should come out and show himself. And yeah like Loshirai14 said you should be with the team not behind or in front.

1,126 posts

while each fire damage is okay (20% of max HP)

but number and chance of fire is INSANE

if I can change it somehow, I'll make sure that fire will never lit up more than 2 stack (3-4 stack are crazy, insane and OP)

and decrease chance of 2nd fire. e.g. if ship were on fire already chance of getting another fire incredibly low (1-2%)

to sum up

I'll make sure that fire in this game is only additional/bonus damage, NOT a main damage.

Edited by PGM991

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Wolfe, yes fires are devastating to any class of ship from BBs to CAs.

Having used cruisers i have burnt many a ship to the waterline and it can be frustrating as i have been in a position that means i receive limited damage.

Id suggest disengaging or closing to an island. The closer you get to the target means their arcs cannot clear the island.

Then again i love the Fiji 70k from snoke with AP.

I don't think changing the shell mechanic would alter as then BBs will stagger HE shots to burn ships down.

40 posts
2,588 battles

So I was thinking about ways that the game could be made more fun and for me one of the most annoying things is fires. Now I know that fires are a part of the game and I accept their place as a balancing factor, But when there is an enemy cruiser hiding behind an island lobbing shells over it and one hits and sets a fire again and again, just one goddamn shell from each salvo and you can't even shoot back, it gets old quick.

So maybe if fire chance was also linked to the amount of shells that hit so that a single shell less than battleship caliber could almost never start a fire or if there was a way for an allied ship to come alongside yours and assist with putting the fire out just to make the game play better. I am tired of getting hit with one high ex shell in my battleship after already using damage control (and I never use damage control for anything less than 2 fires or a flood) and being unable to even fight back just waiting for a single bloody fire to eat my last 4-5000 health and end my game. Rant over. Thoughts?

Whilst we have 1 player to 1 destroyer, and 1 player to 1 cruiser, those classes need their buffs to have any chance when confined in an arena with battleships, and in the case of cruisers, the whole category doesn't work that well, as battleships can and do delete 100% hp cruisers pretty routinely with 1 salvo, but (outside the torp cruisers), cruisers do not have a similar damage capability vs any class.

Fire damage is also backloaded, not frontloaded (or alpha) damage, ie any opponent that you apply fire damage to, has the time to think their way out of it, which means that the cruiser will often not actually get the kill - its a frustrating experience using a cruiser even when you are winning, and its a horribly frustrating experience when you get deleted.

Edited by AdmiralJasonB

119 posts
2,087 battles

Please no.

Let the EU guy stay in EU.

Hahah I was banned from the COHO forums back in 2010 for saying a few home truths about that loser.

He also just got banned (again) from the EU forums for spouting more crap.

However, back on topic, its this kind of stupid ideas that he comes up. Op - this is an arcade game. The fire damage works just fine.

Learn how to counter HE spammers. For instance, dont use repair party on 1 or 2 fires. Also try to mitigate the damage by using the health repair (whatever its called) instead of repair party as you get 100% of fire damage back. 

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

This has been discussed over and over again since beta and you're not the first one to suggest those things and complain. It's a complicated matter as much as CV balance. Sad to say there is no fire damage revamp seen within the horizon for now. Suck it up or leave.

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

Whilst we have 1 player to 1 destroyer, and 1 player to 1 cruiser, those classes need their buffs to have any chance when confined in an arena with battleships, and in the case of cruisers, the whole category doesn't work that well, as battleships can and do delete 100% hp cruisers pretty routinely with 1 salvo, but (outside the torp cruisers), cruisers do not have a similar damage capability vs any class.

Torp Cruisers eh? Those guys (especially IJN CAs) going against an experienced BB player will be deleted b4 they even have the chance to drop their torps. In order for them to drop their torps they have to show off their broadside, an experienced BB player will wait fot that moment to delete them right b4 they even drop their torps so basically, aside from fires, they literally have no chance to deal consistance damages to BB (except the RN CLs AP).

2 posts
4,165 battles

Ok so it seems that my point has been completely missed as no one has given any reply that actually mentions my complaint, I'll try give an example of what I am talking about as it really is about a certain type of situation and not fires in general. I had a battle in my North Carolina once on Neighbours where I pushed forward leading the team I took a ton of damage including multiple fires dealt a heap in return and allowed my team to push forward as I headed behind an island for cover a single 6" shell from an enemy Cleveland hit me on the stern and started another fire, I was slowing down to hide behind an island so that I could recover some health and continue helping my team as a result there was nothing I could do except burn to death from a single hit. If I was hit by a 2 or 3 or more I can accept a fire starting but when it is just one shell and more luck than skill it gets annoying, Also I know my stats and at best I am an average player this is something that I think would be frustrating good players as well. Even if there isn't a change to fire chances surely the ability for a friendly to pull alongside and assist with putting fires out the way real navies did would be a change for the better and increase team play.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

Ok so it seems that my point has been completely missed as no one has given any reply that actually mentions my complaint, I'll try give an example of what I am talking about as it really is about a certain type of situation and not fires in general. I had a battle in my North Carolina once on Neighbours where I pushed forward leading the team I took a ton of damage including multiple fires dealt a heap in return and allowed my team to push forward as I headed behind an island for cover a single 6" shell from an enemy Cleveland hit me on the stern and started another fire, I was slowing down to hide behind an island so that I could recover some health and continue helping my team as a result there was nothing I could do except burn to death from a single hit. If I was hit by a 2 or 3 or more I can accept a fire starting but when it is just one shell and more luck than skill it gets annoying, Also I know my stats and at best I am an average player this is something that I think would be frustrating good players as well. Even if there isn't a change to fire chances surely the ability for a friendly to pull alongside and assist with putting fires out the way real navies did would be a change for the better and increase team play.

There is also a problem with de-sync, it doesn't always show you exactly where the shell hit. May be the shell didn't hit the stern, it hit some component on the deck.

And , this is the problem with just plain RNG. Every chance is treated as individual %. They could make it more fair by using a pseudo-RMG scheme, but then, 20% fire chance would guarantee a fire in every five hit.

In my opinion, fire should account for damage saturation. No more HP left? Fire does no damage. Plain and simple.

40 posts
2,588 battles

Torp Cruisers eh? Those guys (especially IJN CAs) going against an experienced BB player will be deleted b4 they even have the chance to drop their torps. In order for them to drop their torps they have to show off their broadside, an experienced BB player will wait fot that moment to delete them right b4 they even drop their torps so basically, aside from fires, they literally have no chance to deal consistance damages to BB (except the RN CLs AP).

Can't figure out what you are trying to add to the conversation ?

The whole point about torp cruisers was simply there to avoid an argument about whether or not cruisers have an alpha strike.  Some do.

40 posts
2,588 battles

You died because of the other 65000 damage you took, made the last impact unmanageable.  Your deck could easily have been nearly awash due to flooding at the rear of your ship, and the last HE could have opened the rear of the ship which is unarmored to the sea, or even just blew a 6x6 foot hole in your deck that let the waves already going over your nearly awash rear deck rapidly fill rear compartments on an already unstable ship, and once your ship is severely damaged, flooding in one compartment usually is able to spread to other compartments through battle damage to bulkheads.

The loss of the HMS audacious would probably be good reading for you.

Edited by AdmiralJasonB

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

have you even heard of concealment or KM CAs?

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

have you even heard of concealment or KM CAs?

Well, most i saw are very trigger happy tbh, they got themselves spotted b4 getting into torp range all the time.

For KM CAs though, their torp range is not that much to be worried about.

75 posts
4,783 battles

You do have to admit though, American HE is deadly but manageable, German HE is terrible, Russian HE is fast but manageable, so if there's one thing in the whole game related to fires that should be looked at, it's the HE of the IJN.

'Cause in all seriousness, playing a North Carolina and deflecting a full salvo from an Iowa off the bow with 2k of damage but losing as much as 6k HP per salvo from HE shot from the same general direction by a Myoko is getting really old, really annoying, really fast.

At least reduce the damage on that a bit so we only lose roughly 4k per salvo. That's be manageable and reasonable unless one of you guys wants to go a bit lower?

345 posts
3,668 battles

You do have to admit though, American HE is deadly but manageable, German HE is terrible, Russian HE is fast but manageable, so if there's one thing in the whole game related to fires that should be looked at, it's the HE of the IJN.

'Cause in all seriousness, playing a North Carolina and deflecting a full salvo from an Iowa off the bow with 2k of damage but losing as much as 6k HP per salvo from HE shot from the same general direction by a Myoko is getting really old, really annoying, really fast.

At least reduce the damage on that a bit so we only lose roughly 4k per salvo. That's be manageable and reasonable unless one of you guys wants to go a bit lower?

Battleships can already delete cruisers in just a few salvo and you still want to make cruisers even more useless against battleships? That 6k salvo is like a really lucky hit. You can't consistently deal 6k damage per salvo.  I saw my whole salvo hit a battleship and just dealt 1k damage. I also saw 5 salvos of HE and AP hit my Hatsuharu and dealt no damage (not damage saturation since i'm full health). 
Edited by Loshirai14

75 posts
4,783 battles

cruisers even more useless against battleships

Not like that. I'm just saying that when you take two HE salvos in a row from something like Myoko or Atago that tends shaves off more HP than a full BB AP broadside does at angles or bow on (which is really the only time NoCal and other have effective armor), things can get annoying, I dare say infuriating, especially when a 6-inch armed Mogami gets involved with 15 guns that do slightly more HE damage than Cleveland does at an RoF fastr than you can retaliate. Remember that the Japanese cruisers already have torpedoes with a max range of up to 10km that do decent speed and great damage. I'm just saying that I think they can afford to lose maybe 100-200 from the HE damage per shell, and I say this as someone whose primary tactic in ranked battles is burning everyone to death with whatever Japanese cruisers are allowed.
Edited by Advancer231