You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

Why would anyone pay for Atlanta?

31 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

I got this ship via a super container and was ecstatic at the time but after about 5 games in her I am bemused as to why anyone would actually pay money for it.

Sure there's the great ROF but you need that to compensate for the puny guns that you can only fire when detected which results in a couple of salvos in reply and you are dead.

Done the whole hug island thingy and sunk a few DD's that were stupid enough to stray into my path and burnt a BB down that was focused on somebody else, yet I have DD's that can take more hits than this pathetic ship. 

I know I vowed to no salt for 2 weeks after receiving this ship but for a premium it has to be the worst you can buy.

Edited by Trojan63

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

I got this ship via a super container and was ecstatic at the time but after about 5 games in her I am bemused as to why anyone would actually pay money for it.

Sure there's the great ROF but you need that to compensate for the puny guns that you can only fire when detected which results in a couple of salvos in reply and you are dead.

Done the whole hug island thingy and sunk a few DD's that were stupid enough to stray into my path and burnt a BB down that was focused on somebody else, yet I have DD's that can take more hits than this pathetic ship. 

I know I vowed to no salt for 2 weeks after receiving this ship but for a premium it is has to be the worst you can buy.

​How so lucky???? I don't get anything except flags from super containers

That aside:

The Atlanta is good as long as no one is shooting at you. Just island hug like you did and swat planes out of the sky and burn everything in sight. Use it's radar to melt DD and carefully contest caps.

Fair Warning: I have not played the Atlanta myself but I have watched a lot of videos of it being played.

Here is a video from Eurobeat-senpai(If you haven't watched it yet):

Edited by karrablaster123

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Atlanta is just another one of those typical premium vehicles that I categorize under: "Type 59s".

Highly effective in the right hands against far below average players, but complete trash when facing average players

with a decent understanding of WASD.

She can be annoying when fighting her in a DD, but as soon as one understands how radar works she becomes utterly useless in that regard, too.

Unless there's 3 of them in the enemy team and even then it's no issue a salvo or two per BB couldn't solve...

Now Flint... that's a different page in the book, though in my opinion Belfast outshines both easily at the moment.

753 posts
8,965 battles

Not sure you play along or you meant it for real.

I'm serious. If it were only possible I would gladly sell or even swap her. Alas it's against the rules I think so I'm stuck with it.

Perhaps if WG gave you a choice between 2 ships in these super containers would be ideal.

1,162 posts

I'm serious. If it were only possible I would gladly sell or even swap her. Alas it's against the rules I think so I'm stuck with it.

Perhaps if WG gave you a choice between 2 ships in these super containers would be ideal.

Damn, you just sold the most overpowered destroyer ever exist. :amazed: Which is worth $40.

Ohh well, its yours anyway. :hiding:

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
953 posts
5,654 battles

If I can get her to work then I can't see why anyone else can't, she had that radar buff since I got mine, plus she is tougher then she use to be. Just don't go hard at the start of a game and if there are CV's then support your important ships first.

Enjoy the 'flamethrower'  :great:

1,126 posts

I hate them when I'm in BB and they behind island lobbing endless barrage of shell at me setting 2-3 fire.

I have no choice but to retreat out of their range. (thank WG for giving them shot range!)

I cough them out in the open once in a while, but all my shell is over-pen over-pen over-pen over-pen dammit!!!

268 posts
6,381 battles

I would have been estastic to get an Atlanta via a super container but I guess some people are never happy.

Hell, I'd be happy to get ANY premium ship in a super container.

(Except the Krispy Kreme)

Super Tester
7,583 posts
8,005 battles

I would have been estastic to get an Atlanta via a super container but I guess some people are never happy.

Hell, I'd be happy to get ANY premium ship in a super container.

(Except the Krispy Kreme)

I would be happy to even get that....

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

Have you played it yet on the ocean map, which is quite rare nowadays? I'm quite sure your atlanta will become a floating salt factory.

Atlanta is a very situational ship. It only excels in few things and sucks at everything else. Best tier 7 AA with unli defensive fire and radar will be your selling point.
Without any island cover and huge CV attacks, Atlanta absolutely is worthless. Other CA will murder you with their range and dodge your slow shells unless you manage to sneak up on them using islands, or unless they are retarded.
It's a good credit earner though, so it kinda makes it up for its weakness, and just for blowing off steam and annoying the heck out of overextending BBs and DDs making it good at defensive positions.

If you ask me now, I would not buy Atlanta either. It's simply not an excellent ship.

Edited by Deicide

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

In other words its the player not the ship =D.

this is almost like when you see a friend who is injured, you pour lemon juice on top of the wound, rub it with a smiley face :P

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Atlanta is a giant middle finger to:

• BB's when you rain fire down on them from over islands
  • Carriers when they realise they have run out of planes
  • DD's when you ruin their day by destroying all their modules with every hit
  • Cruisers when you get 11 citadels on a single ship (well best I got was 5 but if Eurobeat can do it its possible)

All in all a situational ship that is a joy to play and I do wish she had torpedoes with longer range but shes still got her own thing going for her

Edited by Blitzkreig95

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Lets fill the thread with more Atlanta vids:

And the highest Atlanta damage on Asia server commentary, featuring me.

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles

hmm....

if ship is OP, we can ask WG to nerf them

but if the player himself are OP ... what should we do... :trollface:

Very simple... 100% chance for detonation :trollface: