You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

HMAS Perth First Impressions

41 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,493 battles

Now that I've had two battles in my beautiful HMAS Perth - and therefore officially an expert - allow me to share my opinion of her.

First battle, Tier 7. Brand new 1-point Commonwealth Captain (which unfortunately use the exact same portraits as the UK Captains, but with the American voiceover).

Xfuk7S1.jpg

wR4G1x0.jpg

Second battle, Tier 8. Uh oh. My valiant Captain is now a grizzled 3-point veteran, though, so it should be fine...

f19m5na.jpgtHIP1jw.jpg

Final thoughts:

Access to HE ammunition gives Perth a quite different feel as compared to her British sisters. Additionally, the ability to have both smoke and a catapult plane is a nice bonus - you can spot for yourself inside smoke. This is a surprisingly fun ship.

Edited by Unraveler

1,162 posts

Final thoughts:

-snip-

Additionally, the ability to have both smoke and a catapult plane is a nice bonus - you can spot for yourself inside smoke.

-snip-

Why people (including myself) overlook this, yeah now this feels like radar but with extended range. Now this is something golden tips. :great:

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

No.. Keep the report please.... I want to know the ship capability

And you cant use the ship to train royal navy ship right?

48 posts

Apparently no you can't train RN captains. The Commonwealth will be a separate line. So MAYBE we might see a kiwi ship to keep them quiet.:trollface:

Edited by Liddell_Hart

268 posts
6,381 battles

I really like it. You can really abuse the smoke mechanics but if you get spotted you will die quickly.

My best game so far is 82k damage and also I had two other 60k games.

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

In my 4 games in her I've had numerous instances where other cruisers creep around beside me whenever I smoke up.. I find it quite funny as there's a little train of them moving slowly with me... 

I feel the names and appearance seem to be way to English, where's  mick Dundee!

I have noticed that  i have my torp tubes (sometimes both) destroyed more than any other ship ive played, and in all 4 games ive had to repair them sometime through the battle so they seem very prone to damage. Even playing dds ive never experienced this issue.

Shes very fun to drive and I'm glad I grabbed her though.

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
402 posts
15,002 battles

The reload on the smoke and spotter plane is painfully long. You could easily shave a minute off each without making the ship OP.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
402 posts
15,002 battles

The smoke reload is painfully long because of the unique way you can use the smoke on the Perth.

I'm aware of that, I just think it needs a tweak. 

75 posts
4,783 battles

Perth is a situational ship. It depends largy on her team lineup and how her team plays. If 1 thing goes wrong, it could be the end of her.

You'd think that maybe WG would have taken into account that the average joe only sees an average of three destroyers (with only the occasional four and rare five) per match before creating a whole tree and two premium ships of dedicated destroyer hunters.

Still gotta say that, as much as I disliked the British CA playstyle, I'm really liking Perth so far. More versatile and evasive and she usually exceeds the normal amount of damage I can pump out in Indianapolis or the Arpeggio Cruisers for the most part.

223 posts
8,238 battles

You'd think that maybe WG would have taken into account that the average joe only sees an average of three destroyers (with only the occasional four and rare five) per match before creating a whole tree and two premium ships of dedicated destroyer hunters.

Still gotta say that, as much as I disliked the British CA playstyle, I'm really liking Perth so far. More versatile and evasive and she usually exceeds the normal amount of damage I can pump out in Indianapolis or the Arpeggio Cruisers for the most part.

Welp to be honest, RNCL is not that bad. At first when i play the low tier ships (1-5), i felt like they're trash, they can't do much. But when i unlocked the Tier 6, things started to change. You have more firepower, you're exellent against DDs. You can deal consistant damage against other cruisers and battleships if they're not angled properly. Now i got to the tier 9, my whole perspective on the RNCL changed completely. They're very powerful if used correctly. 

119 posts
2,076 battles

First battle, Tier 7. Brand new 1-point Commonwealth Captain (which unfortunately use the exact same portraits as the UK Captains, but with the American voiceover).

Seriously WG? You couldn't even find a bloody bruce to speak a few lines?! 

*sigh* 

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Loving the DD-like handling but still feels kinda awkward. Still trying to get the hang of the unique smoke mechanics on mine. Any advice on that?

This works for me.

Always be at no faster then 1/4 speed when you smoke up!

​Stick to islands, sneak out under smoke, firing away then move back behind island whilst still under smoke! Use the spotter plane whilst smoked up or for shooting over islands.

Another good option is to slow down outside of spotting range, smoke up, fire to your hearts ideally concentrate on distracted targets then stop firing just before you run out of smoke. As long as you're out of range of standard concealment once it runs out, you're sweet. Spotter Plane works extremely well with this method.

Don't forget to keep an eye on the countdown clock as it tells you when you've got to be hidden away or stopped firing by.

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

This works for me.

Always be at no faster then 1/4 speed when you smoke up!

​Stick to islands, sneak out under smoke, firing away then move back behind island whilst still under smoke! Use the spotter plane whilst smoked up or for shooting over islands.

Another good option is to slow down outside of spotting range, smoke up, fire to your hearts ideally concentrate on distracted targets then stop firing just before you run out of smoke. As long as you're out of range of standard concealment once it runs out, you're sweet. Spotter Plane works extremely well with this method.

Don't forget to keep an eye on the countdown clock as it tells you when you've got to be hidden away or stopped firing by.

You mean play this like Britain cruiser right?

48 posts

For me I find the Perth plays a little differently than the Leander. The AP seems to me to be not as good and the HE just doesn't set enough fires. Good against DD but not much chop against anything else. 

The smoke works well but you wait an eternity for it to recharge and if you're not somewhere safe when it runs out :ohmy:

Over all FOR ME I find the Leander easier to play as its more forgiving of my constant screw ups. The Repair Party consumable is a major factor. 

The Perth requires a higher skill set, which definitely isn't moi. 

Maybe I need to wait for the HMNZS Choice Bro :hiding: For the Commonwealth line to hit its straps. 

Edited by Liddell_Hart