Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

HMAS Perth Custom Flag

11 comments in this topic

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

Shouldn't this Commander have the White Ensign in the background? Or, even better, the Australian flag in use during the 1940s, the Red Ensign.??

The flag shown is the Commonwealth flag. It only came into use in 1976, which is not in the time line for HMAS Perth.

Sure, you may correctly say that Australia is part of the Commonwealth, but so is the UK, but the UK ships don't have this flag behind their Commanders. They have the Union Jack. Their Commanders use their own flag.

7ONU0qw.jpg?1

Below is the Red Ensign, Australia's Flag During the war Years.

eEHtVre.png

Below is the flag used by the Australian Navy until 1967.                                                 

It was the Flag flown on HMAS Perth. The White Ensign                                                     

100px-Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom

Other nations in WoWs have their flags correct, why not Australia?

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
439 posts
15,387 battles

Anti mate, It has the white ensign on it. Just not the Aussie one.

On the aft mast, for the record.

Edited by Bex_o7

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

Anti mate, It has the white ensign on it. Just not the Aussie one.

On the aft mast, for the record.

Yep, I know. That's good.

My beef is the flag behind the Commander whilst ship is your port, it does not make sense.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Yep, I know. That's good.

My beef is the flag behind the Commander whilst ship is your port, it does not make sense.

It makes sense in that it's not an Australian line. It's a Commonwealth line, so Commonwealth flag. If in the future there are other Commonwealth ships (e.g. Canadian) it'd make less sense to have a flag of any specific nation.

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

It makes sense in that it's not an Australian line. It's a Commonwealth line, so Commonwealth flag. If in the future there are other Commonwealth ships (e.g. Canadian) it'd make less sense to have a flag of any specific nation.

That's well and good, but the Commonwealth Flag did not appear before 1976. The ships we use in game would not have used it. Any Commonwealth ship at the time would have flown the White Ensign. Your example was a Canadian ship, that ship would have flown a White Ensign. Because that was the Commonwealth Flag of the time.

Edit,an example, the game does not use the modern flag for Germany, it uses the flag flown in the time period the ship existed.

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

That's well and good, but the Commonwealth Flag did not appear before 1976. The ships we use in game would not have used it. Any Commonwealth ship at the time would have flown the White Ensign. Your example was a Canadian ship, that ship would have flown a White Ensign. Because that was the Commonwealth Flag of the time.

At least it does exist, unlike the Pan-Asian flag, which is completely fictitious :-P

You could also argue that German commanders have the wrong flag for the wrong ships (even though the ships themselves may be flying the correct flag for their era). But for the purpose of unifying the commanders of one "nation", it works well.

[TDA]
Alpha Tester
1,701 posts
7,273 battles

At least it does exist, unlike the Pan-Asian flag, which is completely fictitious :-P

You could also argue that German commanders have the wrong flag for the wrong ships (even though the ships themselves may be flying the correct flag for their era). But for the purpose of unifying the commanders of one "nation", it works well.

yeah, ok. I've had my say. Im not  gonna go on about it. 

If it works for the game, I guess that's all that matters.:yes_cap:

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Sign in to follow this