Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
InterconKW

Surviving- the Cruiser Way

21 comments in this topic

341 posts
4,007 battles

I've previously asked about IJN heavy cruiser tactics. The turn of death, why I should follow who in my team etc.

So I'd like to know... how exactly should a cruiser player react to their arch-enemy... the Red Battleships?

I find myself a bit too cautious and maybe even cowardly when there's a battleship clearly aiming at me if I am in my ARP Nachi, Aoba or anything else of the sort. I tend to end up sitting far back with allies. often not firing and just hiding. I never feel like I am contributing much to my team doing so. 

I'm simply terrified of giving Enemy_Battleship a "Devastating Strike" achievement. As a battleship player with all his gunnery devastating strikes on cruisers, I feel no confidence being on the receiving end of the shot I myself have taken. Sometimes the battleship gets an overpenetration and a bounce, and the cruiser is broadside on and gets away with it. But sometimes, even when perfectly angled, your citadel eats large shells and you are donated to the "Bottom of the Ocean" fund.

What position and situation should I assume to counter the battleship with confidence, is the likelihood of angled citadels as high as I feel it to be and how should I deal with the battleship? Will angling work, in a Myoko is it worth swinging out my other 3 turrets at all, and is it better to be bow or stern on to it?

I'm also scared of being focused. As a cruiser, even if I maneuver hard as I can, being the target of three or more enemies is a death sentence most of the time. How should I turn away or even totally avoid such a situation and get out of there?

And lastly, where can I go in a game?

Edited by InterconKW

634 posts
6,210 battles

As both a Player who plays yamato with lol pen and atago player who likes to burn BBs, here are my suggestions:

When I play atago, i always use my concealment as a strategy, since IJN cruisers have best concealment. This is what I do:

1. Close in on enemy BB while not firing (dont expose urself too early)

2. Turn immediately before you will be spotted (about 12-3 km for myoko, less if u have CE skills on), turn your stern towards him (90 degrees)

3. Begin firing at him as u are running away.

4. After some salvos, cease fire, become invisble again, and repeat previous steps.

Something to note:

1. When I play BB, cruisers who deliberately charge in on me at 10km hardly ever gets away with it. SO DONT

2. Dont ever expose broadside, be very careful, even when u are not on frontline, i sometimes citadel cruisers who are 18km away from me and broadsiding and not realising that they are seen.

3. When you fire a salvo, immediately turn 90 degrees to the BB asap, otherwise BB can still citadel you.

4. Torpedo tactics are the last resort

Edited by Lordofcaptain

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,788 battles

Open boardside 40 degree

Shoot and close boardside

And shellbeat

And do it again

High tier can shoot out of range detected and troll with 24% chance of fire :trollface:

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

You look at where you are relative to the closest enemy battleship and look where the turrets are pointed while you are reloading your guns.

You only have to worry about cruiser AP at medium-short range. You can broadside all you want at 13-15km so long as you're sure no BB is looking at you. Even then, don't broadside for more than two salvos- That's just inviting BBs to look at you.

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

You look at where you are relative to the closest enemy battleship and look where the turrets are pointed while you are reloading your guns.

You only have to worry about cruiser AP at medium-short range. You can broadside all you want at 13-15km so long as you're sure no BB is looking at you. Even then, don't broadside for more than two salvos- That's just inviting BBs to look at you.

Kutuzov / Moskva and IJN CAs will kil lyou at that range with AP as well if you go broadside.

Oh also the German and Brit CAs since their AP is very powerful.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Video Contributor
2,264 posts
10,788 battles

Kutuzov / Moskva and IJN CAs will kil lyou at that range with AP as well if you go broadside.

Oh also the German and Brit CAs since their AP is very powerful.

Moskva can pen Yamato at 19km lel

341 posts
4,007 battles

...aaaaand deleted through the bow by a Colorado. A freaking Colorado.

Should I dare push into capture points to support DDs or just improve aim and do it from range? Should I be the guy on the front? Where should I go?

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles

Should I dare push into capture points to support DDs or just improve aim and do it from range? Should I be the guy on the front? Where should I go?

depends on the situation and how good you think you are, for me i push into islands ONLY if i know i have a escape route and there are no BBs waiting to ambush me 

Beta Tester
733 posts
3,155 battles

1st, you shouldn't be showing your broadsides to a BB

and 2nd, angling is one thing but you should be better off dodging BB shells instead of letting them hit you because IJN CAs have easy-to-hit citadel even if you're angling (trust me, i tested it on another Myoko with my Myoko and my shell hit her citadel even though she's angling)

3rd, you shouldn't go 1v1 with any BB, try to be supportive, you aren't meant to go yolo a BB alone. If things get awry, disengage and try to get out of spotting range while dodging shell and hope for enemy BB to shift their fires on someone else.

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

thats why u must :

1. see the gear on top of minimap - click and enlarge it - and tick show last know enemy position marker while you at it

why you or many people afraid to partook in engagemnet, is they cant read or dont bother with minimap.

you need to get used to check it everytime

There is a neat trick, when Battlship break from their coancealment to shoot. it will first pop up in your minimap before even being appear in your screen

this give early warning sometimes as early as 1 or 2 second. depending on your game sense and enemy range, the chances of you get suprises were reduced

if you spoted, and some 18km battleship icon show on minimap out of nowhere - u can start evasive action as early as he pull the trigger

2. after setting the minimap to your liking, you need to learn to read the minimap.

Where the enemy are, which direction they going, blind spot, and good position to engage

to find a good position to fight, you need to be adept at read it first. 

Cruiser is at best when dictating the engagement, you want to hold the initiative - thats why you first need to use minimap

353 posts
5,012 battles

you should experiment with your aoba.

it is a generallist and bow tanker.

but myoko class is a different ship. do not drive myoko like a aoba, you will suffer for it.

try to shoot at 13-14 km and kite

81 posts
2,934 battles

if you point your bow or even aft and do some wiggle, bb can never hit you. if it does it might overpen or bounce. bb will then switch targets cause trying to kill you, while possible, will be very long and annoying. ...but not showing broadside to one might cause you to show broadside to another.. your best armor is the bb beside you cause people want something easier to hit and will ped their stets. so go beside one. trust me it works

Super Tester
419 posts
4,207 battles

Your armor is your concealment (unless you are pepsicola, in that case you are the target practice)

Your armor is your mobility (unless you are russian cruiser, your turn rate is worse than a truck)

Don't open fire if you gonna get focus by too many enemy afterward, use island to disengage, be a ninja, hit them when they not suspect

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

When playing cruisers, knowing when and how to disengage is key to surviving. Personally, I live by these three rules.

1) Do not get too close to enemies unless you are sure you can sink them and not be shot by other enemies or else it will be a very quick battle and a trip back to port for you. This is particularly true in mid to high tier matches (VI to IX) where your opponents, more often than not, out-tier you. The distance to keep is basically your comfort zone for fight, which for me is from 10km to maximum gun range in high tier cruisers.

2) If you are in a IJN cruiser and see a battleship that does not have its guns pointed at you, firing at you, or chasing you down, load HE, and burn that BBaby. I heard the BB killing CA meta at higher tiers is really strong now but if you happen to have the opportunity to not have a BB training its guns on you then get your HE damage on.

3) Shellbeat has become a necessity at higher tiers, particularly with the German BBs which seem to be really good at invading citadels. Whenever possible (that means you can do it without turning and risk broadsiding enemies), wiggle your stern to dodge shells. This will greatly increase your chances of survivability, and allow you to potentially get one or two more salvoes off at your enemy before you are destroyed. A good idea to learn how to do this is to play the Kuma or Tenryu for practice at low tiers, since they have thin armor with relatively good maneuverability, and alot of the BBs at low tiers also tend to fire HE so you won't get one-shotted and lose a massive amount of credits.

Just a note from my experience playing the Aoba: I tend to not mind broadside BBs who engage me at longer ranges when I'm locked in a fight with another target, but I don't get killed often as once I see them fire I will cut engines and hard turn. This usually results in the BB's shells missing or simply just scoring over-pens on your bow, which is still better than getting one-shotted.

Edit: Another thing, angling only works against cruiser AP. BB AP at high tiers can occasionally (or rather quite often) penetrate you if not angled correctly,

Edited by pwnies5600

341 posts
4,007 battles

I returned to attempting to play cruisers today, once again on my ARP Nachi, and with the advice I got from here...

Now the issue I faced was first 3 consecutive rounds in Tier 9, 2 of which were boring long range camp festivals where I was outranged and outconcealed, and focused by invisifire the moment I dared move into my shooting range. The next one was on Two Brothers, IMO the best 4 cap map, and I did 60something thousand damage simply by working with a Fiji and a Fubuki, where I managed to burn down a Izumo and a Belfast and successfully avoided any turn-of-death risk by using island cover and concealment.

The issue I face is consistency... in the next round I took a citadel through the stern from I think a Nagato or something, where I avoided 7 shells but the last one dispersed wide and did a LOLangling citadel. A similar thing happened 2 games later with a Fuso. I also have no luck with AP, leading to exclusive HE use, and often get full salvoes straddling targets for zero damage.

I can't seem to make the cruisers work out for me with this happening, as my results are pretty inconsistent, unlike my (now beloved) Fuso which was hitting 100k twice a day at the end of the grind. If I play cautiously and keep back with the usual weekend BBabies who are trying to snipe, I don't feel like I am contributing to my team as much as I do in my battleships. And from what I read here, aggressive play gets nothing. I only do well when I have a team working together for a win and I follow that team, which is frankly rare on most server hours here, and I feel cruisers are too team reliant. What can I do?

Also, my Fuso grind got me a Takao, but with my current Nachi performance I don't think Takao will be any better...

Edited by InterconKW

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Uh.... the Colorado guns are plenty capable of citadeling the Yamato if you give it broadside. She also have the most accurate guns in the US BB line. 

I'm not surprised

124 posts

It'll take some times to familiar yourself to passive gameplay/matches, as I did myself which I am pretty aggresive.

I was pretty bad at Furutaka, my first 200/203mm CA. After slugging it out, reached and buy an Aoba, I just stopped there.

Then I got Myoko clones, where I learned the finer art of IJN's ninjitsu. Annoying BB with burning and run like hell. Surprisingly, now I can play Aoba pretty well.

Cruisers need more skills to play than any other class.

There is no consistent matches. Some matches I suck sea water and some matches I did pretty well.

Yes, how well your team mates do affect how well the match goes. Cruisers will always be the support. It's up to your flank's BB to smartly work with you or play selfishly.

345 posts
3,640 battles

So you're currently playing Aoba?

Find an island with high enough elevation that other ship can't see/shoot you but low enough for you to shoot through.

Load HE

Prioritize shooting at BBs. Keep their deck on fire.

Fire Extinguished? Then start another fire!

If you can't find an island, sail slow (maybe 1/2 speed)

Stay behind your higher tier teammates.

As an Aoba. Keep your bow pointed at the enemy

Load HE

Prioritize shooting BBs and keep them burning.

Always watch out when your teammates starts to retreat.

Full reverse. Don't expose broadside.

341 posts
4,007 battles

Actually, I have researched normal Myoko and have an ARP one. But TBH apart from a 92000 damage game and a Kraken I haven't done too consistently in Aoba either.

Sign in to follow this